Which artist careers died and which artist careers reached heights because streaming era? How did the streaming era affected the music industry?

Don't attack me but Madonna. Without streaming, her numbers seemed much more. I remember Hard Candy being one of the most sold albums back in 2008. When the truth(?) of streaming came to show, everything about her started becoming flop. Perhaps she was already flopping before, but the streaming numbers made it clear she wasn't on top anymore. Or her time simply came and she isn't popular anymore. The fact is that it's sad to see MDNA / Rebel Heart / M. X with such low numbers, for supposedly the biggest female popstar ever.

• Love 2

I wish I could feel sorry for the music industry, but I don't. It has been rotten for a long time. So, do I think that streaming is awesome? Not in many ways, because of a lot of reasons, some of them, part of the model of streaming. Others, due to the yep, old practices of big wigs and labels. But I think the small amount of democratization it brought to the picture is one step further. The fact that a record label could kill your career, finances and life, while pretty much owning you, sucked. Ask Jojo and many other examples out there.  Record labels held many artists hostages. Even big bands like Queen and The Beatles were used and abused. 

I tend to think that, in the majority of cases, whatever is capable of removing absolute power from one or a few entities, tends to bring more positives than negatives, but of course, if you ask a record label owner, the answer would be totally different. Ask Kings if they liked democracy hahaha. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, ralphcornio said:

Don't attack me but Madonna. Without streaming, her numbers seemed much more. I remember Hard Candy being one of the most sold albums back in 2008. When the truth(?) of streaming came to show, everything about her started becoming flop. Perhaps she was already flopping before, but the streaming numbers made it clear she wasn't on top anymore. Or her time simply came and she isn't popular anymore. The fact is that it's sad to see MDNA / Rebel Heart / M. X with such low numbers, for supposedly the biggest female popstar ever.

One artist who really suffered from the streaming era was definetley Madonna for sure. Her streaming numbers are like breadcrumbs compared to her pure numbers!

• Like 1
On 9/21/2020 at 5:33 PM, Arckangel said:

Mylène Farmer & Laurent Boutonnat recently produced a talented new singer named Julia (she's 18). After four singles and music videos released over two years, they released a promo single and her first LP, Passe... comme tu sais, last June. The LP only sold about 2,000 units and disappeared from the charts after three weeks... For a Sony artist produced by two legends of French music, yes, that's a huge flop. Granted, Farmer, Boutonnat and SMART/Sony Music France chose to spend as little as possible, promo was limited, but there was still some promo and a buzz among Farmer's fans. If Julia could flop that way, imagine how it must be for many indie acts left on their own...

:hype_britney_glory_jkl_jimmy_kimmel_live_laugh_lol_haha_hype_excited_pumped_lmao_cackle::hype_britney_glory_jkl_jimmy_kimmel_live_laugh_lol_haha_hype_excited_pumped_lmao_cackle::hype_britney_glory_jkl_jimmy_kimmel_live_laugh_lol_haha_hype_excited_pumped_lmao_cackle::hype_britney_glory_jkl_jimmy_kimmel_live_laugh_lol_haha_hype_excited_pumped_lmao_cackle::hype_britney_glory_jkl_jimmy_kimmel_live_laugh_lol_haha_hype_excited_pumped_lmao_cackle::hype_britney_glory_jkl_jimmy_kimmel_live_laugh_lol_haha_hype_excited_pumped_lmao_cackle:

Oh come on now Passe... comme tu sais is a certified daube :deserves_kim_kardashian_smirk_pink: Its floppage is well deserved, it features like 2 or 3 good songs and I am being indulgent. Surely, Julia can carry a tune but her voice is straight bland and, on top of that, she lacks charisma. You've got a lambda chick with a lambda voice singing lambda songs... it was bound to sink in the depths of hell the unknown :madonna_weird_alien_cuckoo_nuts: Myloute & Boubou should be ashamed tbh, I refuse to believe they thought these songs de merde would take off IN TWENTY TWENTY :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme: 

I believe they tested the waters to see if they should work together on a new M album (WHICH THEY SHOULD ABSOLUTELY NOT :anxiety_pill_struggle_panic_ahh_bottle_Wendy_williams_shake_shaking:) but I'm not 100% convinced since it seems like they didn't even try to begin with :fran_frog_meme_green: I mean, he's stuck recycling old tunes over and over again; his sound is very much dated. As for Farmer... I legit have no words « je te sniffe mais pas de nez » ??? are you fvc3ing kidding me???? :howdareyou_meme_cat::howdareyou_meme_cat::howdareyou_meme_cat:

I don't understand why someone in their right mind would promote this :orangu_orangutan_ape: I get it, some like it for the nostalgia but to promote it to people who might not know who Mylène is ??? :britdrown_britney_tears_crying_drown_ink_black: This is not how anyone should get introduced to the incomparable Mylène Farmer!!!!! To any curious person reading this, do not, I repeat, DO NOT give Passe... comme tu sh!!!t the time of the day :anxiety_pill_struggle_panic_ahh_bottle_Wendy_williams_shake_shaking:

Stream this masterpiece instead :shaking_shake_gold_yellow::shaking_shake_gold_yellow::shaking_shake_gold_yellow:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block