Lady Gaga reveals her intrusive thoughts with suicide and her mental health hurdles in new interview with CBS Sunday Morning: watch

Jordan Miller

12 minutes ago, MortalMarshmallow said:

Great so she’s either bipolar or schizophrenic :sad_britney_ftr_for_the_record:. Didn’t know that...

No, it doesn't work like this. The point is that these meds treat her problems as well because she has some kind of chemical imbalance in her brain (this can be temporary or constant). It doesn't have to be for a specific diagnosis if she doesn't have other symptoms for those.

It's really great that she's talking about her mental issues and even medication, but it doesn't help a lot if she skips mentioning her antipsychotic **** in other interviews, rather suggests it was like a choice and it's only about "self-acceptance" and "loving herself". It's very superficial to say, and just half of the truth, she needed her meds too.
For me it's all or nothing: the whole truth or stay quiet, otherwise it can hurt other people.

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, crystaldaly said:

No, it doesn't work like this. The point is that these meds treat her problems as well because she has some kind of chemical imbalance in her brain (this can be temporary or constant). It doesn't have to be for a specific diagnosis if she doesn't have other symptoms for those.

It's really great that she's talking about her mental issues and even medication, but it doesn't help a lot if she skips mentioning her antipsychotic **** in other interviews, rather suggests it was like a choice and it's only about "self-acceptance" and "loving herself". It's very superficial to say, and just half of the truth, she needed her meds too.
For me it's all or nothing: the whole truth or stay quiet, otherwise it can hurt other people.

Psychosis is obviously still taboo since she doesn’t advertise that struggle of hers or do so minimally but all other struggles she’s had she gladly pronounces at any given chance :typing_keyboard_computer:. This is a big one tho. 

5 minutes ago, Halseyfan said:

I didn’t realize she was open about taking meds, I rake back my previous comment.

This is the problem in a nutshell. She's open... here and there... and sometimes she just talks about loving herself, and when some people only read this interview, they can feel bad. It's like speaking about the importance of chemotherapy for cancer treatment, and in an other interview you only talk about the power of self-acceptance and loving yourself as the cure.
If somebody's advocating for mental health, it is very very very important to be consistent and thoughtful all the time. No skips, no half-truths, because you don't know which interview they will read at the end.

• Love 1
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, crystaldaly said:

This is the problem in a nutshell. She's open... here and there... and sometimes she just talks about loving herself, and when some people only read this interview, they can feel bad. It's like speaking about the importance of chemotherapy for cancer treatment, and in an other interview you only talk about the power of self-acceptance and loving yourself as the cure.
If somebody's advocating for mental health, it is very very very important to be consistent and thoughtful all the time. No skips, no half-truths, because you don't know which interview they will read at the end.

I agree with you 💯 

• Love 1
  • Leader
5 hours ago, crystaldaly said:

Sorry to say this but I find these kind of interviews very superficial. She's on antipsychotic in reality, these thoughts are not choices, rather a chemical imbalance in her brain. So people who are struggling and reading this think "she's so strong and brave, while I can't get over it"... she couldn't by herself either, she needs her meds.

I respectfully disagree. The fact she's coming out to millions of people to share her struggles. BRAVE imo. 

• Love 3
  • Leader
2 hours ago, crystaldaly said:

She can have multiple thoughts / stances about the same subject though right? Someone can talk about the importance of chemotherapy and also talk about loving yourself (like shaving your head bald before it falls out and embracing the new look). 

34 minutes ago, Jordan Miller said:

She can have multiple thoughts / stances about the same subject though right? Someone can talk about the importance of chemotherapy and also talk about loving yourself (like shaving your head bald before it falls out and embracing the new look). 

I experienced this personally and others also have, when somebody who called herself an advocate/survivor/sufferer only told half-truths, because she wanted to "end the stigma", so it can be dangerous and bad for your own mental health. Loving yourself is an important part of the healing, but unfortunately it won't solve the problem - a chemical imbalance in your brain. It has nothing to do with your self-esteem tbh. Imagine a young, struggling individual who reads this and thinking: "oh Lady Gaga got better because she learned how to love herself as a beloved, celebrated, multimillionaire superstar... good for her, while I'm a mess and alone" (meanwhile, in reality, she took her meds as everybody else should in a situation like this, and if she talks about this instead, that can save lives).

it's constantly discussed in many different platforms, because this kind of advocacy sometimes does more damage than good. This is why it should be done by professionals instead, but of course everybody has the right to talk about their own feelings and stories, and nobody can say: shut it just because that person doesn't do the best job at it.

Being brave and outspoken is nice, but being good at advocating is a totally different topic.

• Love 1
  • Like 2

Okay...Lady GaGa is an amazing artist, performer, entertainer, songwriter. She alone revived pop music when she popped onto the scene with JUST DANCE. Her performances are iconic even when she first started. BUT, she is/was a **** addict and alcoholic. How do I know? Because I was one, and she speaks as one of the people I see in NA. Being in the entertainment industry is taxing, I get that, but it's also something she really wanted and if she wanted she could've gotten out, become an indie artist, but she loves the machine behind her music. She's ALWAYS coming out with something. She breaks her hip, she has lupus, she had suicidal thoughts, she was in a dark state, etc, etc, ******* etc. I would LOVEEEE to hear her for once seem to be AUTHENTIC and GENUINE and STOP trying to reach the broken souls and beautifully cracked mirrors out there for CLOUT. Its like she sees how it works for Billie, and Billie is at this point a step or two above GaGa..and GaGa is trying to profit off of those hurt souls out there by claiming, "I'm one of you...." but GaGa please add "I'm one of you....with millions of dollars in the bank. Number one songs and albums. Grammys and Oscar, beautiful clothes, and lifestyle, and at my finger tips I can get the BEST PSYCHOLOGICAL HELP OUT THERE" ... She really thinks the world revolves around her, what she says, and what she does. 

15 hours ago, Haha-Hehe-Haha-Ho said:

This is a shining example of how we're truly in a different age in terms of public perception when it comes to mental health issues. If Britney would have come out and said something like this a decade ago it'd be a huge salacious bombshell that could negatively effect her career. I'm glad things are turning around thanks to brave girls like Gaga :brityes_britney_yes_nodding:

Britney didn't know what fame was truly gonna be because the internet and instagram and paparazzi and youtube didn't exist while gaga purposely sought out that level of fame it wasn't music fame she wanted it was fame and attention just like Paris or Kim yet we give Gaga such leeway...but that's the truth 

18 hours ago, crystaldaly said:

Sorry to say this but I find these kind of interviews very superficial. She's on antipsychotic in reality, these thoughts are not choices, rather a chemical imbalance in her brain. So people who are struggling and reading this think "she's so strong and brave, while I can't get over it"... she couldn't by herself either, she needs her meds.

Imagine how tired is some people with Gaga, always playing the victim. For sure she has problems like anybody else, but there's so many people like her in the same situation or even worst and nobody seems to care about it... Seems like she is making serious things part of her own show and that's not ok.

21 hours ago, MortalMarshmallow said:

Psychosis is obviously still taboo since she doesn’t advertise that struggle of hers or do so minimally but all other struggles she’s had she gladly pronounces at any given chance :typing_keyboard_computer:. This is a big one tho. 

In reality there are two kinds of mental illnesses/disorders: 1 - trauma based (like PTSD, C-PTSD, DID-OSDD etc) and 2 - a chemical imbalance in the brain (bipolar, schizophrenia etc).

So her r*** would cause PTSD, yes, but not this imbalance she needs the meds for. She has, at least, two totally different problems, and she doesn't talk about her PTSD symptoms, she talks about that event and her medication sometimes, but those are not connected! What does it say then? This is why I say she's not good at being an advocate for mental health, because if you know a little about these things, then you understand that she's reaching a lot. PTSD symptoms also won't disappear with just loving yourself, that's a complex problem when your brain dissociates and it doesn't store those traumatic events like memories, so it always shows them to you over and over again. (She even mentioned dissociating in this interview, but then left it hanging there for no reason.) That needs a special therapy (conversation based), not meds for a chemical imbalance obviously... So how she talks about her problems is a mess. She probably wants good, but she's not good at it.

3 hours ago, crystaldaly said:

In reality there are two kinds of mental illnesses/disorders: 1 - trauma based (like PTSD, C-PTSD, DID-OSDD etc) and 2 - a chemical imbalance in the brain (bipolar, schizophrenia etc).

So her r*** would cause PTSD, yes, but not this imbalance she needs the meds for. She has, at least, two totally different problems, and she doesn't talk about her PTSD symptoms, she talks about that event and her medication sometimes, but those are not connected! What does it say then? This is why I say she's not good at being an advocate for mental health, because if you know a little about these things, then you understand that she's reaching a lot. PTSD symptoms also won't disappear with just loving yourself, that's a complex problem when your brain dissociates and it doesn't store those traumatic events like memories, so it always shows them to you over and over again. (She even mentioned dissociating in this interview, but then left it hanging there for no reason.) That needs a special therapy (conversation based), not meds for a chemical imbalance obviously... So how she talks about her problems is a mess. She probably wants good, but she's not good at it.

She most likely is bipolar since she sings about mania on 911. But she does not describe a manic phase in the interview though. That sounds like a panic attack which is never mentioned. Dissociation is connected to psychosis now? Psychiatry can be messy though at least in my country is is usually. Just to get things straight how many diagnoses does she have that we know of? PTSD, psychosis and Fibromyalgia. Anything else :nervousney_thinking_britney_looking_up_hands_face_clasp_ftr_for_the_record:?

8 minutes ago, MortalMarshmallow said:

She most likely is bipolar since she sings about mania on 911. Just to get things straight how many diagnoses does she have that we know of? PTSD, psychosis and that pain disease. Anything else :nervousney_thinking_britney_looking_up_hands_face_clasp_ftr_for_the_record:?

Psychosis itself is more a symptom than an illness (it means patients are losing connection with reality), but many things can cause it, even physical problems like tumors or metabolic disorders etc (that's "secondary psychosis" then). It's like when you have a headache, but you don't know why. Not the headache the problem, you can deal with that with painkillers, but something must cause it.

Bipolar, schizophrenia or BPD can be a source. This is what professionals do, they're trying to find out what is wrong, this is why many people don't have a diagnosis yet, or they're misdiagnosed, because they don't show all the symptoms that are needed for those diagnoses. Mania as a symptom is usually connected to bipolar, but not only to that. So it's not crystal clear and it takes time. We only know what she lets us, that she is suffering from PTSD and is on antipsychotic medication (two different things), so the latter can be anything, even an undiagnosed physical problem that's causing a chemical imbalance in her brain. Very unfortunate to say things and advices about these situations randomly - which was my original complain in this thread.

I'm not a professional, tho, this is just what I was learned because I also have problems, so the best is if you'll read more about these things by yourselves if you're interested.

• Love 1
  • Like 1
On 9/18/2020 at 12:46 PM, blackoutbixxh said:

Let’s face it, Britney could still say something like this now and it would be perceived as something negative. There is still so much stigma in the general public that she is “crazy” and everyone is just waiting for her to lose it again. But when others speak out on their mental health issues like Gaga, Selena, and Demi, they are praised as hero’s. It’s truly sad :nochillbrit_britney_impatient_2008_annoyed_irritated_nope_smh_head_shaking_my_ftr_for_the_record_circus:

I think it is because she has never really taken upon this issue head on. Not that she has to, it's completely up to her and it is valid if she doesn't want to publicly speak, but she has let every assumption, people's projection and mean thing said kind of indirectly be validated by her silence. She has been very passive in that sense. What I mean is, people who don't particularly care about her career, are ruled by the narrative of those who continuously judge her on mass media. Only she can change that and take control of her narrative, I think. 

And props to Gaga. People say she repeats herself, but for someone with so many struggles, maybe her entire life is that very struggle and she just opens up about it. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block