Lady Gaga reveals her intrusive thoughts with suicide and her mental health hurdles in new interview with CBS Sunday Morning: watch

Jordan Miller

• Leader

Lady Gaga opens up about the dark state she was in while recording Chromatica and how she's had a difficult time coping with her superstardom. 

"I mean, honestly, Lee, I just totally gave up on myself," she said. "I hated being famous. I hated being a star. I felt exhausted and used up."

"This ruined my life," she said. "Look what you did. You can't go to the grocery store now. Look what you did. If you go to dinner with your family, somebody comes to the table. You can't have dinner with your family without it being about you. It's always about you. All the time it's about you."

Combined with the PTSD from her fame and ****** assault at 19-years-old, Gaga lost hope. 

"I really didn't understand why I should live other than to be there for my family," she said. "That was an actual real thought and feeling."

"Did you think about suicide?" Cowan asked.

"Oh yeah, every day," Gaga replied. "Yeah, I lived in this house while people watched me for a couple years, to make sure I was safe."

Gaga turned things around, saying she won't give in.

"No, I'm right here," she said. "I don't hate Lady Gaga anymore. I found a way to love myself again, even when I thought that was never gonna happen."

Watch the full interview above.

gaga-sui.jpg.cf5b01d5b9d932eb5895341a9ebe34c6.jpg

• Love 4
  • Leader

Lady Gaga is so brave. She opened up about intrusive thoughts she had contemplating suicide because of how crippling her superstardom was. 

There are millions of people who struggle with their mental health. I hope she knows how inspiring her words and actions are.

It just goes to show you can have fans, fame, money, and if you're not fulfilled or happy none of that matters. I'm glad she's in a better place. 

If you're struggling today, take a moment for yourself. Close your eyes, take a deep breath, and make a promise to yourself to get through today. Happy Friday fam.

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, crystaldaly said:

Sorry to say this but I find these kind of interviews very superficial. She's on antipsychotic in reality, these thoughts are not choices, rather a chemical imbalance in her brain. So people who are struggling and reading this think "she's so strong and brave, while I can't get over it"... she couldn't by herself either, she needs her meds.

I agree with you, it just further stigmatizes taking medication. 

• Like 2

I'm starting to get sick of her using the same narrative and talking about her mental health since 2010... I applaud her for being brave, but why is she talking about this in EVERY interview? :tina_judging_side_eye_glance_staring_looking_red: Maybe she could for example help our girl Brit and post something about #FreeBritney :tired_so_there_head_tilt_annoyed_see_rose_mcgowan:, or at least acknowledge that Britney is in a very bad situation FOR ONCE... :tina_judging_side_eye_glance_staring_looking_red: instead of always talking about herself... Don't get me wrong - I love Gaga and I love when someone is being honest about their mental health. :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know: The issue is that she is using this narrative in 99% of her interviews... :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

• Love 1
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, crystaldaly said:

Sorry to say this but I find these kind of interviews very superficial. She's on antipsychotic in reality, these thoughts are not choices, rather a chemical imbalance in her brain. So people who are struggling and reading this think "she's so strong and brave, while I can't get over it"... she couldn't by herself either, she needs her meds.

How do you know she’s on antipsychotics, please post a link for validation matters:brityawning_britney_chaotic_sunglasses_tired:.

58 minutes ago, Lukas1896 said:

I'm starting to get sick of her using the same narrative and talking about her mental health since 2010... I applaud her for being brave, but why is she talking about this in EVERY interview? :tina_judging_side_eye_glance_staring_looking_red: Maybe she could for example help our girl Brit and post something about #FreeBritney :tired_so_there_head_tilt_annoyed_see_rose_mcgowan:, or at least acknowledge that Britney is in a very bad situation FOR ONCE... :tina_judging_side_eye_glance_staring_looking_red: instead of always talking about herself... Don't get me wrong - I love Gaga and I love when someone is being honest about their mental health. :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know: The issue is that she is using this narrative in 99% of her interviews... :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

I can see your point but at the same time if it helps people why does it matter? Its honestly helping me be more open about my history with depression.

There are people like myself that didn’t listen to her talk about mental health back in 2010 and i think her goal is to reach more people. That said, I’m trying to understand how someone talking about their mental health hurts you or anyone else :ineedthetruth_oprah_huh_um_thinking_confused_what_truth_stare:

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Haha-Hehe-Haha-Ho said:

This is a shining example of how we're truly in a different age in terms of public perception when it comes to mental health issues. If Britney would have come out and said something like this a decade ago it'd be a huge salacious bombshell that could negatively effect her career. I'm glad things are turning around thanks to brave girls like Gaga :brityes_britney_yes_nodding:

Let’s face it, Britney could still say something like this now and it would be perceived as something negative. There is still so much stigma in the general public that she is “crazy” and everyone is just waiting for her to lose it again. But when others speak out on their mental health issues like Gaga, Selena, and Demi, they are praised as hero’s. It’s truly sad :nochillbrit_britney_impatient_2008_annoyed_irritated_nope_smh_head_shaking_my_ftr_for_the_record_circus:

• Love 1
  • Like 5
14 minutes ago, MortalMarshmallow said:

How do you know she’s on antipsychotics, please post a link for validation matters:brityawning_britney_chaotic_sunglasses_tired:.

She talks about it with Oprah this past fall. Oprah did some sort of WW interview tour in Chicago and she interviewed Tina Fey, Gaga, Reese Witherspoon and some others. They talked about goals for 2020 and Gaga talked about being on meds and how important it is for her to be on them. You can find it on youtube :mattafact_alligator_telling_talking_chatting_preaching_green:

• Like 2
Just now, blackoutbixxh said:

Let’s face it, Britney could still say something like this now and it would be perceived as something negative. There is still so much stigma in the general public that she is “crazy” and everyone is just waiting for her to lose it again. But when others speak out on their mental health issues like Gaga, Selena, and Demi, they are praised as hero’s. It’s truly sad :nochillbrit_britney_impatient_2008_annoyed_irritated_nope_smh_head_shaking_my_ftr_for_the_record_circus:

Fair point. It would still be headline news and some people would use it as proof that the conservatorship is valid - even though nobody is even close to insinuating Gaga and the other girls need an arrangement like that. I wish these ladies would take a more direct position on this specifically in regards to the free britney movement, because as you point out, it's gonna take more than a broad cultural shift :tifftear_miss_ny_new_york_ms_crying_wipe_tears_sad:

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, ColdAsFire88 said:

I can see your point but at the same time if it helps people why does it matter? Its honestly helping me be more open about my history with depression.

There are people like myself that didn’t listen to her talk about mental health back in 2010 and i think her goal is to reach more people. That said, I’m trying to understand how someone talking about their mental health hurts you or anyone else :ineedthetruth_oprah_huh_um_thinking_confused_what_truth_stare:

It does not "hurt me" in any way, shape or form :wink_britney_everytime_white: If it's helping anyone out there - that's great and again I applaud Gaga for that. I just said that it's starting to irritate me when you can't have a Gaga interview without her talking about how bad her mental health is/was etc...  It's starting to be less and less genuine... It's like she made this a part of her brand and it's her constant narrative. :heresthetea_reading_telling_glasses_talking_preaching_facts_paper_wendy_williams: It's like she is bragging that she was depressed etc... :tina_judging_side_eye_glance_staring_looking_red: I don't think that such a serious topics should be discussed in EVERY interview, even the ones that are promoting an album - because like I said it's becoming less and less genuine, and is starting to look like some kind of gimmick - (I don't think that it is one, but still).

and maybe I'm too worried about Britney, but I wish that Gaga (an apparent Britney hardcore fan) would use her gigantic platform to raise awareness about Britney horrible situation... She loves to use some Britney references here and there, but she refuses to say anything about FreeBritney? :beynah_beyonce_talking_telling_preaching: She definitely knows that something bad is happening with Britney, yet she does not care - and she proceeds to only talk about herself, and her mental health :beynah_beyonce_talking_telling_preaching: (in front of millions of strangers, to use it as a tool to help promote her album...) :mhmsureny_hmm_thinking_ponder_unsure_what_Tiffany_pollard_ny_New_York_miss_ms_sure:

I still love her as an artist and I wish her all the best! but it's becoming a little bit too much for me...

• Like 2

As someone who's been through a deep state of depression and was suicidal I'm happy to see an artist of her magnitude open up the conversation and allowing herself to be transparent and vulnerable. 

There is a lot of shame and stigma still with mental health and even though I know more people are open to discussion these days I still feel weary eber bringing it up with my family and friends because I'm afraid of what they'll think of me or consider me as weak. I also dont want to be seen as someone who need to be taken pitty on and be treated like like a child, I just want to be able to be open and talk/get help and support when needed.

Good on Gaga for opening up and I hope she has found strength xo

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, MortalMarshmallow said:

https://nypost.com/2020/08/11/lady-gaga-on-antipsychotic-meds-i-cant-always-control-my-brain/

"“I can’t always control things that my brain does — and I have to take medication to stop the process that occurs,” Gaga, whose given name is Stefani Germanotta, said in describing her psychological turmoil. She told Lowe that the track “911” discusses her medication, olanzapine, a **** primarily used to treat bipolar disorder and schizophrenia."

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Lukas1896 said:

It does not "hurt me" in any way, shape or form :wink_britney_everytime_white: If it's helping anyone out there - that's great and again I applaud Gaga for that. I just said that it's starting to irritate me when you can't have a Gaga interview without her talking about how bad her mental health is/was etc...  It's starting to be less and less genuine... It's like she made this a part of her brand and it's her constant narrative. :heresthetea_reading_telling_glasses_talking_preaching_facts_paper_wendy_williams: It's like she is bragging that she was depressed etc... :tina_judging_side_eye_glance_staring_looking_red: I don't think that such a serious topics should be discussed in EVERY interview, even the ones that are promoting an album - because like I said it's becoming less and less genuine, and is starting to look like some kind of gimmick - (I don't think that it is one, but still).

and maybe I'm too worried about Britney, but I wish that Gaga (an apparent Britney hardcore fan) would use her gigantic platform to raise awareness about Britney horrible situation... She loves to use some Britney references here and there, but she refuses to say anything about FreeBritney? :beynah_beyonce_talking_telling_preaching: She definitely knows that something bad is happening with Britney, yet she does not care - and she proceeds to only talk about herself, and her mental health :beynah_beyonce_talking_telling_preaching: (in front of millions of strangers, to use it as a tool to help promote her album...) :mhmsureny_hmm_thinking_ponder_unsure_what_Tiffany_pollard_ny_New_York_miss_ms_sure:

I still love her as an artist and I wish her all the best! but it's becoming a little bit too much for me...

I understand where you are coming from but maybe Gaga feels that its not her place to be that person for Britney? Not saying I disagree with you because I’ve wondered whats up. We also don’t know what their relationship (if any) is like. Maybe Gaga (like many of us) are waiting for Britney to come out and speak? Im not sure...and I also think that if Gaga were to even mention Britney people would think shes trying to take some of Brits thunder. Celebs are sometimes damned if they do and damned if they don’t :tired_so_there_head_tilt_annoyed_see_rose_mcgowan:

Last thing...Gaga stated last year that she is making it her mission to address the lack of care and understanding surrounding mental illness. So its pretty much part of her brand. Check out this interview:

46 minutes ago, crystaldaly said:

https://nypost.com/2020/08/11/lady-gaga-on-antipsychotic-meds-i-cant-always-control-my-brain/

"“I can’t always control things that my brain does — and I have to take medication to stop the process that occurs,” Gaga, whose given name is Stefani Germanotta, said in describing her psychological turmoil. She told Lowe that the track “911” discusses her medication, olanzapine, a **** primarily used to treat bipolar disorder and schizophrenia."

Great so she’s either bipolar or schizophrenic :sad_britney_ftr_for_the_record:. Didn’t know that...

1 hour ago, blackoutbixxh said:

This is so true. Britney’s mental health has never been taken seriously and even this generation along with millennials make fun of her for it. Back in June, there were at least 10 viral tweets calling her behavior weird and erratic along with crazy. Plus kids on tiktok constantly poke fun at her breakdown. Nothing’s changed when it comes to her :/

• Like 3

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block