Katy Perry on whether she would do a K-pop collab: "I don't want to be part of a trend, I want to be part of a movement"

Jordan Miller

6 hours ago, MyLittlePopstar said:

There’s a difference between “not liking” a genre and calling a different cultures music “a trend.” For people in Korea, “K-Pop” has been around for a long time, maybe it’s just starting to gain traction in the US and worldwide, but it’s ignorant to call it a “trend” just because you have only known about it for a short period of time. K-Pop is has been around is some way since the 90s, so it’s not a “trend.” I’m not even a huge K-Pop fan, but Katy clearly doesn’t think before she speaks. 

Katy has jumped on so many trends and it’s laughable you can’t recognize that. She did the emo/punk trend with her first album. She did the Edm-big pop trend with Teenage Dream. Trap. Working with Migos when they were the flavor of the moment. Pretending to be woke in the last election, then dropping it right after. Jumping on a Latin bilingual track. And if she was so ahead on the disco trend why did she wait until after it was popular to release it? And Never really over doesn’t sound “80s” at all lol. 

and rise is an unlistenable turd of a song. 

for the record, I don’t “hate” Katy. I was a big fan for a short period of time. But over time she’s shown she’s not a very nice person, with a huge ego and a he’s really not very talented or original. And then she says things like this... 

And Katy's political activities have been always active since the Obama days, so why the fake woke's about? But isn't she right about Trump? I don't I understand where's the hate coming, so very generic like those old Katy's starter hate packs.

I agree that you could call k-pop music a trend, even though it is a genre, simply because emo/rock was a 'trend' back in the day when My chemical romance, green day, etc were big. It still exists today but there was definitely a time when it was super popular with the GP.

At the same time though, it is pretty offensive to call an entire genre of music a trend. To me, it show's a level of ignorance and lack of respect for the artists. I mean, rock still exists and those bands like Blink-182 and Sum 41 are still putting out albums....they just aren't as famous/in the forefront as they used to be. Same with any genre that used to be big like EDM and country. There are people out there still rippin classical music even though it's not slapping like it did back in the victorian era lmao :mattafact_alligator_telling_talking_chatting_preaching_green:

It was just pretty tone-deaf comment especially when Con Calma is barely a year old....like hello???????

Danny Devito Hello GIF by The Animal Crackers Movie

• Love 1

And that is coming from a woman who literally built the whole career on being a trend chaser. The Con Calma (raeggaton/latin trend), Dark Horse (using that urban beat + including a rapper in a song just when hip-hop became more popular), E.T./California Girls (working with a male rapper when it was a thing for pop girls), Bon Appetite (using Migos and trap beat), the whole Witness (hoping on the 'woke' trend), using her big ***** just to sell more (smex sells more period), hoping on that wagon 'I don't care about charts'. I do understand what Ms. Kity Purina is trying to communicate, yet I consider it hypocritical. :checkit_sipping_drinking_spill_tea:

• Love 1
On 9/17/2020 at 6:01 AM, Albert Aspera said:

This kind of mentality is just plain stupid. So if I don't like reggaeton means I don't like Latinos? Or if I don't like rap means I don't like Black people? It's the music preference we're talking about here, not the race and that is what Katy was trying to elaborate. 

And the disco-club trend music has always been in Katy's catalogue since the PRISM record, and didn't she released the 80's inspired music back in 2019 with Never Really Over? And Champagne Problems was recorded since 2019, far before Dua and Abel started the 80's trend.

And the "flop" that you are describing to her career is a normal rhythm of an artist in industry. But does she deserves it? Yes, it might be but never the hate. 

Again, you will overanalyzed whatever the people you "hate" do because that's the human nature, but it's your choice to not to outgrow with it.

Btw, Rise alone can single-handed-ly defeat those two songs you mentioned.

Exhalers will do anything to **** on Katy but in the end they look like >>> :madonna_weird_alien_cuckoo_nuts:

• Love 1

Looking back in this thread, even I misinterpreted what Katy's answer to this kpop fiasco. :outwithit_go_on_wave_britney_femme_fatale_ff_documentary:

She was asked about the collaborations between some of the female US artists and blackpink, then Katy replied it's a "trend" but not pertaining to the whole korean genre but the features instead.

I don't really care about this kpop existence, it's just their fans must stop cherry-picking and overreacting in attacking celebrities like Katy. :checkit_sipping_drinking_spill_tea:

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block