Katy Perry on whether she would do a K-pop collab: "I don't want to be part of a trend, I want to be part of a movement"

Jordan Miller

At first, I was mad at the headline - but after reading the post, she does have a point. Artists have used each other in the hopes of making a successful Pop Song. There are collaborations that did not connect with the general public - so long as it makes sense, she's not shunning the idea. I just find it sad that users are bringing up sales performances like that's the only way to judge Katy Perry... It's almost as being a woman is not enough 

See the source image

• Love 1

It's not so much what she says, but how she says it that rubs people the wrong way. Girl doesn't want to be part of trends hahaha! I guess she forgot her previous collaborations, which were definitely not movements. She is just trying to play the relevance and respected artist card that doesn't care about numbers. Ridiculous 

• Like 6
1 hour ago, johnnyswanda said:

Do not turn it into something it is not! Katy has opinions and shares them! For some she paid the price. That is life. Britney doesn´t say bad things and she is a sweetheart I get where you´re coming from.

But I really dislike how some people in here react to things in very very very childish way (even though they are entitled to it) and act almost like cyber-bullies. She answered question, she gave her reason, you dont´t like it? That´s okay! If you´re gonna write things like ´´maybe they would make Katy relevant again´´ (which you are entitled to do so), here comes me reminding you that Britney didn´t have commercial succesful albums either.... 

I hate HATE! I tend to stand up for people that I feel are mistreated... same way I stood up for our QUEEN in 2007-.... 

k

• Like 2

Lol. She just needs to stop talking. First of all, this comes off racist AF. K-Pop is a trend? It’s been around for a couple years now and doesn’t seem to be going anywhere. What’s a trend is your career. And she’s literally hopped on SO many trends. Like didn’t she JUST release a disco inspired song/video? Which is CLEARLY a trend right now. Literally every era of hers she has jumped on a trend! And is she really trying to say Feels or 365 are a “movement.” How about jumping on “Con Calma” Justin Bieber and Beyonce started that trend? 

I seriously cannot stand her more and more. She really deserves this floppage she’s having right now. But try to convince us again you “don’t care about charts.” 

also Sour Candy and Ice Cream are way better that anything she’s released since 2013. 

• Like 7
3 hours ago, PickleSpears said:

Britney's not saying anything mean about K pop. All Katy does is bash people, she's so negative. Her music is so bad these days though maybe K pop could save her bad albums. You're sounding crazy in this thread. You might wanna stop for your own sake.

A question has been asked,and I believe she answered it in a very wise way. Perry's not negative, it's just your perspective towards her is already in nega-default so everything she'll spit out is a no-no for you. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, johnnyswanda said:

Do not turn it into something it is not! Katy has opinions and shares them! For some she paid the price. That is life. Britney doesn´t say bad things and she is a sweetheart I get where you´re coming from.

But I really dislike how some people in here react to things in very very very childish way (even though they are entitled to it) and act almost like cyber-bullies. She answered question, she gave her reason, you dont´t like it? That´s okay! If you´re gonna write things like ´´maybe they would make Katy relevant again´´ (which you are entitled to do so), here comes me reminding you that Britney didn´t have commercial succesful albums either.... 

I hate HATE! I tend to stand up for people that I feel are mistreated... same way I stood up for our QUEEN in 2007-.... 

Listen here Little Miss Downvote, don't compare Britney to Katy. As you implied, Britney doesn't talk **** about her peers yet Katy does. Whether it's thru light shade like in this interview, or through snarky comments like when she made fun of Britney's head shaving incident a few years back. Katy isn't some innocent social pariah so stop the victimization. 

Also nobody's taking away Katy's right to an opinion; most of us were just cackling over her hypocrisy about her supposedly not wanting to follow trends even though that's what she's been doing for years. She collabed with Migos just 3 years ago because they were hot on the charts back then, so she can't act as if she's above collaborating for hits [or attempted hits in her case]. 

• Love 3
  • Like 1

These days, showing a different point of view towards this kpop thing is a fiasco. Either you'll be called out racist or homophobic for no reason. 

When Dua, Doja and Abel released 80's inspired music it's a trend, but when this bts or black-thing started to chart it's a movement? Like seriously?

These American artists are not really collaborating to be a part of a "movement" because if they were, why their parts in the song are still in English?

And I heard bts released an English song recently, so it's not their Korean culture is being promoted here but their brand as a band.

I still think it's a trend. :katycream_perry_witness_nod_yes:

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, MyLittlePopstar said:

Lol. She just needs to stop talking. First of all, this comes off racist AF. K-Pop is a trend? It’s been around for a couple years now and doesn’t seem to be going anywhere. What’s a trend is your career. And she’s literally hopped on SO many trends. Like didn’t she JUST release a disco inspired song/video? Which is CLEARLY a trend right now. Literally every era of hers she has jumped on a trend! And is she really trying to say Feels or 365 are a “movement.” How about jumping on “Con Calma” Justin Bieber and Beyonce started that trend? 

I seriously cannot stand her more and more. She really deserves this floppage she’s having right now. But try to convince us again you “don’t care about charts.” 

also Sour Candy and Ice Cream are way better that anything she’s released since 2013. 

This kind of mentality is just plain stupid. So if I don't like reggaeton means I don't like Latinos? Or if I don't like rap means I don't like Black people? It's the music preference we're talking about here, not the race and that is what Katy was trying to elaborate. 

And the disco-club trend music has always been in Katy's catalogue since the PRISM record, and didn't she released the 80's inspired music back in 2019 with Never Really Over? And Champagne Problems was recorded since 2019, far before Dua and Abel started the 80's trend.

And the "flop" that you are describing to her career is a normal rhythm of an artist in industry. But does she deserves it? Yes, it might be but never the hate. 

Again, you will overanalyzed whatever the people you "hate" do because that's the human nature, but it's your choice to not to outgrow with it.

Btw, Rise alone can single-handed-ly defeat those two songs you mentioned.

• Love 1
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, sanpedro said:

Love Katy for that.

She is actually super incoherent and a hypocrite. Saying that "she doesn't want to be part of a trend" then what do you call this mess?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmCEZhb-z-Q&vl=en&ab_channel=DaddyYankee

She jumped on the Latino reggeaton bandwagon with this terrible song ( just like Beyonce, Madonna, Shakira, Ava Max, Dua Lipa, Nicki Minaj and pretty much every singer in town did) that totally tells me is about numbers and it definitely didn't move anyone's hearts.

***** please GIF

• Like 3
  • Content Curators
5 hours ago, johnnyswanda said:

I don´t understand what you (Exhalers) don´t get!? She explained herself why she would´t do it in a very polite and honest way! Whether her album flopped or not, they gave her a question and she gave them an answer. Simple as that. I totally agree with her. For example I don´t like how Madonna always try to collaborate with someone huge or popular at the time! 

K-pop or whatever it is definitely is a trend and it doesn´t connect with me at all either and it will disappear the same ways as Gangnam style or what that was disappeared. Does it make number? Yes! Does it move people? Will it be remembered? Absolutely not! There is nothing artistic about the Blackpink or the other boyband....:trash_throw_away_recycle:

I like honest artists and I respect Katy for this answer

This screams extreme ignorance on different levels, way more ignorant than what Katy said. K-pop has existed a long time, and so it is a genre, not a trend. Just because it served a different audience compared to what you're used to doesn't mean it's a fad / trend. Non-English speaking people deserve their own genre of music as well. And this isn't just referring to K-pop. Just that K-pop happens to be the foreign genre that broke through the barriers doesn't mean there aren't other genres in the world worth-exploring.

Also, since when are you an expert of K-pop to make such a comment about this genre? There are way more meaningful songs in K-pop genre than what hit the US market. To assume all K-pop songs are just colorful music is just as ignorant as assuming all Western music is about a wet *** ***** because WAP's topping the chart.

• Love 5
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, Albert Aspera said:

This kind of mentality is just plain stupid. So if I don't like reggaeton means I don't like Latinos? Or if I don't like rap means I don't like Black people? It's the music preference we're talking about here, not the race and that is what Katy was trying to elaborate. 

And the disco-club trend music has always been in Katy's catalogue since the PRISM record, and didn't she released the 80's inspired music back in 2019 with Never Really Over? And Champagne Problems was recorded since 2019, far before Dua and Abel started the 80's trend.

And the "flop" that you are describing to her career is a normal rhythm of an artist in industry. But does she deserves it? Yes, it might be but never the hate. 

Again, you will overanalyzed whatever the people you "hate" do because that's the human nature, but it's your choice to not to outgrow with it.

Btw, Rise alone can single-handed-ly defeat those two songs you mentioned.

There’s a difference between “not liking” a genre and calling a different cultures music “a trend.” For people in Korea, “K-Pop” has been around for a long time, maybe it’s just starting to gain traction in the US and worldwide, but it’s ignorant to call it a “trend” just because you have only known about it for a short period of time. K-Pop is has been around is some way since the 90s, so it’s not a “trend.” I’m not even a huge K-Pop fan, but Katy clearly doesn’t think before she speaks. 

Katy has jumped on so many trends and it’s laughable you can’t recognize that. She did the emo/punk trend with her first album. She did the Edm-big pop trend with Teenage Dream. Trap. Working with Migos when they were the flavor of the moment. Pretending to be woke in the last election, then dropping it right after. Jumping on a Latin bilingual track. And if she was so ahead on the disco trend why did she wait until after it was popular to release it? And Never really over doesn’t sound “80s” at all lol. 

and rise is an unlistenable turd of a song. 

for the record, I don’t “hate” Katy. I was a big fan for a short period of time. But over time she’s shown she’s not a very nice person, with a huge ego and a he’s really not very talented or original. And then she says things like this... 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, johnnyswanda said:

I don´t understand what you (Exhalers) don´t get!? She explained herself why she would´t do it in a very polite and honest way! Whether her album flopped or not, they gave her a question and she gave them an answer. Simple as that. I totally agree with her. For example I don´t like how Madonna always try to collaborate with someone huge or popular at the time! 

K-pop or whatever it is definitely is a trend and it doesn´t connect with me at all either and it will disappear the same ways as Gangnam style or what that was disappeared. Does it make number? Yes! Does it move people? Will it be remembered? Absolutely not! There is nothing artistic about the Blackpink or the other boyband....:trash_throw_away_recycle:

I like honest artists and I respect Katy for this answer

This post screams cultural relativism :mattafact_alligator_telling_talking_chatting_preaching_green:
And who are you to make sweeping generalizations about whether k-pop "moves" people or not based on how YOU feel about it? Excuse you.:whitneyshade_whitney_Houston_mad_really_blink_seriously_hmm_umm_done:
The nerve of you saying K-pop songs wont be remembered but cite Gangnam Style ,a song that came out almost a decade ago. Clearly you remember it,sis:whitney_houston_huh_oh_really_well_look_stare_welp: 
and how could you not? It has 3 BILLION views on YouTube and had a HUGE cultural impact around the world.:rlynow_britney_really_clasped_um_ok_seriously:

I'm not a fan of K-pop per say,but it's clearly found a market in the western world and has been relevant for 15+ years,so please stop trying to dismiss it as a whole. It's ignorant:begone_tiffany_miss_ny_new_york_ms_door_there_leave_bye_goodbye:

• Love 3
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, johnnyswanda said:

Don't speak on things you clearly know nothing about. This is big coming from a Britney fan considering some of the biggest K-Pop stars right now are 10 times more worthy of being called artists than Britney ever was. :parisok_hilton_chewing_gum_pink_phone_Reading:

6 hours ago, MyLittlePopstar said:

There’s a difference between “not liking” a genre and calling a different cultures music “a trend.” For people in Korea, “K-Pop” has been around for a long time, maybe it’s just starting to gain traction in the US and worldwide, but it’s ignorant to call it a “trend” just because you have only known about it for a short period of time. K-Pop is has been around is some way since the 90s, so it’s not a “trend.” I’m not even a huge K-Pop fan, but Katy clearly doesn’t think before she speaks. 

Katy has jumped on so many trends and it’s laughable you can’t recognize that. She did the emo/punk trend with her first album. She did the Edm-big pop trend with Teenage Dream. Trap. Working with Migos when they were the flavor of the moment. Pretending to be woke in the last election, then dropping it right after. Jumping on a Latin bilingual track. And if she was so ahead on the disco trend why did she wait until after it was popular to release it? And Never really over doesn’t sound “80s” at all lol. 

and rise is an unlistenable turd of a song. 

for the record, I don’t “hate” Katy. I was a big fan for a short period of time. But over time she’s shown she’s not a very nice person, with a huge ego and a he’s really not very talented or original. And then she says things like this... 

Mainstream music industry exists for a trend, and even though you are pointing out that this kpop has existed since the 90's, it doesn't made any difference like those of other trends back in late 90's for boybands, mid 00's for emo-rock and early 10's for pure pop. 

Don't see the "rise" of kpop as a different light because at the end of the day, it's still a genre and just a rip-off of Jpop.

And yeah, I agree that it's a bit hypocrite for Katy's part, but it was a very safe answer. Because if she answered in the other around that she wanted to collaborate with them, y'all will still criticized her for craving the relevance back. So it's always a lose-lose situation for Katy, and with this answer I'm fine with it.

Btw, I doubt with this kpop trend will get nine #1 singles like Katy's trend. So- :gerlwat_sunglasses_cigarette_looking_what_blink:

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block