Just watched the "This Is Paris" documentary and...

• Leader

I watched Paris Hilton's new documentary This Is Paris on YouTube tonight, and it was not what I was expecting at all (in a good way). 

She shed light on a years-long traumatic time in her life that shaped who she was as a young adult and now a woman in her thirties (she still has almost daily nightmares about it). 

Several major themes in the doc include control, superstardom, lack of privacy and lack of sleep. The dynamic between her celebrity and family life is also at times hard to watch. Not because it isn't compelling, but because you really feel for her. 

One scene I found interesting in particular was when she was speaking with her sister Nicky about those dark times, Nicki asked if she had apologized to their parents for what happened to Paris earlier in her teen years. I want to add that Nicky comes off as a very caring, understanding and real sister to Paris, but that moment kind of caught me off guard.

I also flinched when Paris talked to her mom about this really troubling time, which her mom is indirectly and partly responsible for, and there didn't seem to be much of an apology. It was swept under the rug, as the Hilton sisters would probably say. 

Then I remembered Paris' recent interview with Andy Cohen where she talks about the control in Britney's life, and how she couldn't imagine still having to deal with that for all these years. The documentary put context to those words. 

Did any of you watch it yet? What were your thoughts on Paris' dueling public and private personas? What had happened to her? Any highlights or lowlights from the doc you'd care to share? Would love to hear from you.

paris-doc.jpg.375cf7e8984c8526aa4eb732e9b37df7.jpg

• Love 5

I just watched it yesterday and i feel basically the same.  It had a lot of good content and I was very surprised with how professionally she conducted herself in a lot of situations. I had no idea about the trauma and I definitely understand why she would create a semi-persona to pave her own success.  When you are in situations like she was in for 11 months, you have nothing but time with your own thoughts and I’m sure it lit a fire in her to flip the manuscript on all of the people in her life putting her down.  Watching her mother react to what she told her, I was really disappointed and genuinely anticipated something far more emotional and apologetic, if this is truly the first time she’s hearing about the abuse and solitary confinement.  I love Paris and I hope and believe she will be able to continue expanding her brand without “aging out of it” like the people around her are whispering in her ear.  Look at Betsey Johnson... she’ll be fine.  I just hope for her to find true happiness and to stop falling in love with the wrong people.  I felt like I could relate a LOT with her.  I’d give the doc a 7.5/10, and I wish her nothing but success.  Here’s to her next $100 mil.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, helloitsme said:

She just needed to talk more about simple life and when she went to jail. Those are the 2 most iconic things of her life.

she talked about her *** tape, why not jail time? She set the trend for it girls going to jail

Honestly as a kid of the 90’s, I don’t remember her going to jail enough to harp on it, and she has become much bigger than the reality show.  They touched on it, but Paris is bigger than that reality show, tenfold.  It may be due in part to the show, but I feel they talked about it enough for it it be roughly 15% of what she is today.

EDIT: and the point of the whole Doc was that THAT person was not who she is as a person at all.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Jordan Miller said:

I also flinched when Paris talked to her mom about this really troubling time, which her mom is indirectly and partly responsible for, and there didn't seem to be much of an apology. It was swept under the rug, as the Hilton sisters would probably say. 

that was really awkward, how the mom didn't even shed a single tear. Maybe the fact that there were cameras around ruined the moment, but I just don't have any hopes that they had a warmer moment when the cameras were off.

Still she is probably luckier than any of the other survivors from that place, but at least we get to see a different side of who she is. She really needs some therapy though.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, FastCar said:

if this is truly the first time she’s hearing about the abuse and solitary confinement.

my first thought after watching that scene, is that probably the parents knew all along. Maybe not in specific, but it made me feel like they kinda knew where they were sending her beforehand. I mean, just by the way she was taken out of her house, speaks volumes. Plus, if those things weren't allowed in some way by the parents, wouldn't have someone denounced them already after all these years? :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous:

• Like 5

I was dead at the clip where a fan asked for a photo in the street and completely cut Kim Kardashian out. Even though they are best of friends these days, I still thought it was kinda shady using that to show that she was a bigger star.

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29uassicofi7rbsnmkn4

The scenes with the boyfriend who was obviously either drunk or high were pretty uncomfortable and she did the right thing by getting rid of him. She just seems to keep attracting and letting these same D-bags in again and again. Probably a by-product of what happened in her past. 

• Love 1
  • Like 2

i love her. I bought her record but in a world where children are in cages and people die in the streets because of the color of the their skin...i'm not sure how i feel about this princess film but i think because it wasn't directed proper for the narration...it really makes me realize how disconnected the privileged and the normal, poor, or middle class are

• Love 1
  • Like 5

I  watched it and I’m not sure how to feel about it. On one hand she complains about all these things and at one point admitting she doesn’t care about the material stuff shoes/ clothes, but then she turns around and says she won’t stop until she makes a billion dollars. Like girl, make a choice or quit complaining. I do feel for her childhood traumas tho. 

• Like 1

This was so hard to watch, but it honestly gave me a different perspective of her. The fact that she is so aware of the "character" she plays and allows the media portray her as in order to keep her relevant is such a badass power move. I was so shocked to hear of all the traumatic experiences she went through as a teenager and how it affected her. She is so strong for using those experiences to motivate her into building an empire, a true inspiration. 

• Like 1

I felt for Paris many times watching the documentary but the amount of time she spent talking about working and needing a holiday irritated me a bit. It’s her choice to work as much as she does. She doesn’t need to, she could easily take a break. She wants to be a billionaire... why? She even said in the documentary that she doesn’t wear and use most of her materialistic stuff. 

• Like 1

I watched it yesterday and it was quite interesting.

Her family, parents especially, come off so fake at all times and defs the kind that project an eberything is perfect at all times image like the sisters suggest. It is quite sad cause it looks quite emotionally abusive and difficult to be part of.

You can tell Paris has severe PTSD and is stuck at the mental age where her trauma started. It is so sad looking at her and seeing the way she acts, dresses, goes through life and she is forever a teenager. What is even more sad is that's what she wants and you can tell that abusive relationships are all she knows.

I wish her all the best and hope that she can find some light in her life. Her mum seems like an awful person with no emotion.

Hope more celebs do docs like this that shed some light into their lives because it is so easy for us to see rich and or famous people and assume all is well and that they are on top of the world. But it is just a mask to hide the pain and their truth which is that they dont know how to live normal lives or who they even are.

I also see the other side though of Paris and she really does come off as just your typical teenage mess that just so happened to build an empire on what she loves - partying, because she was born into wealth. 

My humble opinion nicole richie GIF by RealityTVGIFs

• Love 2
10 hours ago, helloitsme said:

She just needed to talk more about simple life and when she went to jail. Those are the 2 most iconic things of her life.

she talked about her *** tape, why not jail time? She set the trend for it girls going to jail

i think you’re missing the point of the whole thing. it wasn’t about how Paris got famous or her iconic moments in pop culture, it was about this other dark part of her life nobody knew about.

I think it was very interesting and really shows how a girl in her teens can be controlled by her parents to the point they prefer to send her away to that horrible place than see her partying and having fun. i feel her parents never accepted who she wanted to be and tried to tie her down in a terrible way. it’s sad but i have much more respect for her now.

also the way the whole world turned against her because her ex leaking their *** tape... As she said, it would be a whole different story if that happened today. the world was so ****** back then.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Yes I watched it and I never thought I would find her situation at least just as upsetting and chocking at How Britney has been treated.

And I thought Nicky was a bully. And complicit, a very bad influence for someone who has been traumatized by her parents. Yes, her parents f-ing agreed to having her kidnapped in the middle of the night and were There, WATCHING IT without doing anything. Imagine. 

I think that the film is showing a SYSTEMATIC extreme violation of human rights when it comes to girls in the US. What the f. Young girls are being send of to be tortured and bullied by grown f-ing men (who also *****..!!!) And this Because They were homeless or had gone to nightclub..!!! You’d think the US is under Taliban/ISIS control..! And the bloody authorities has approved Theese places and are sending children There on a larger scale!

It is just so... Media make a huge deal out of cult leaders and kidnappers abducting and abusing children and Young Women. But at the same time the US have installed torture camps  to continously are being send There! The government is doing this. Over and over. And I have never seen a debate about this prior to this film.

Something else I thought about is that the psychiatric world was built on misogony and that I question their entire field and tradition. This field must be the worst expression of misogony still being an actuality today. Talk about gaslighting, victim blaming and abuse of women on an INSTITUTIONAL level. Defund the psychiatric field I say. All of it. Build a New tradition of psychiatric research that is intersectional and modern, cut the ties with the past and start from the beginning to do New research meant to work out methods for the actual good of mankind, when it comes to mental health.

42 minutes ago, ElenaB said:

i think you’re missing the point of the whole thing. it wasn’t about how Paris got famous or her iconic moments in pop culture, it was about this other dark part of her life nobody knew about.

I think it was very interesting and really shows how a girl in her teens can be controlled by her parents to the point they prefer to send her away to that horrible place than see her partying and having fun. i feel her parents never accepted who she wanted to be and tried to tie her down in a terrible way. it’s sad but i have much more respect for her now.

also the way the whole world turned against her because her ex leaking their *** tape... As she said, it would be a whole different story if that happened today. the world was so ****** back then.

But the sexism is still here. Two, female, Swedish journalists writing for the biggest tabloids/evening magazines in Sweden wrote about the film ”The biggest revelation in this film is that Paris has a deep voice”, and the worst ”Paris should go back to being a bimbo and she should have kept quiet about the abuse and trauma and just told a therapist instead. And be the dumb blonde which is all She is good for”. Same magazines who actually pushed metoo. The worst review of ”This is Paris” were in a paper who sacked one of their employees for an accusation of r*** that was supposed to have happened 15 years earlier. Still everything they have written about Britney has been ******, and now this appalling comment on Paris. ”She should have kept it a secret and stuck to being a bimbo”. 

• Love 1
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, UncannyX-Man2099 said:

I watched it yesterday and it was quite interesting.

Her family, parents especially, come off so fake at all times and defs the kind that project an eberything is perfect at all times image like the sisters suggest. It is quite sad cause it looks quite emotionally abusive and difficult to be part of.

You can tell Paris has severe PTSD and is stuck at the mental age where her trauma started. It is so sad looking at her and seeing the way she acts, dresses, goes through life and she is forever a teenager. What is even more sad is that's what she wants and you can tell that abusive relationships are all she knows.

I wish her all the best and hope that she can find some light in her life. Her mum seems like an awful person with no emotion.

Hope more celebs do docs like this that shed some light into their lives because it is so easy for us to see rich and or famous people and assume all is well and that they are on top of the world. But it is just a mask to hide the pain and their truth which is that they dont know how to live normal lives or who they even are.

I also see the other side though of Paris and she really does come off as just your typical teenage mess that just so happened to build an empire on what she loves - partying, because she was born into wealth. 

My humble opinion nicole richie GIF by RealityTVGIFs

I agree on everything But your humble opinion 🙂 So Many it-girls in her position wanted to be huge, but There was Noone that made such an impact like her. And many people in the film witness on her brilliant, even genius mind. It is common for gifted people to appear naive and childish compared to people with an average IQ. Also that they start to hide their intelligence to fit in already at school. And her awful family was Really pushing sexualisation onto her already as a child. I actually thought it was abusive How her elder, female relative used to put makeup onto her at like 8 years old and keep telling her to pose pretty for the camera. Very creepy and wrong. 

9 hours ago, monkeystar88 said:

i love her. I bought her record but in a world where children are in cages and people die in the streets because of the color of the their skin...i'm not sure how i feel about this princess film but i think because it wasn't directed proper for the narration...it really makes me realize how disconnected the privileged and the normal, poor, or middle class are

Eh, have you seen it? It was about her being naked in dark isolation cells after having been beaten heavily and undressed by men, forced to shower naked in front of them. Kidnapped at night, something that her PARENTS had arranged..! She was forced to take ***** She didn’t know What They were by SCHOOL STAFF. And she was scrubbing the floors of the school every day, with ******ic grown men screaming in her face meanwhile. 
The other women in the film that were in her class came from poor, even homeless backgrounds. And none of them seemed more traumatized than Paris, they actually bonded over their ptsd and suffering. It was the same, with or without a financial heritage. 

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block