Divas Battle: Britney Spears Pure Album Sales VS Artists Of Her Generation

If this is accurate information I have a few thoughts. First being that Britney is a BEAST and after all these years she still hasn’t been topped. I thought for sure Adele and Taylor were way closer. Next thought. Beyoncé is that low? She’s more hype than anything but with the exception of Single Ladies she didn’t really start becoming legendary until 2016 with Formation imo. Also Shakira is a wayyyy bigger international sensation than I realized. I knew she was big but next to Jlo at the Super Bowl I didn’t think she was nearly as big. I guess that’s truly just in America.

Her dominating wasn't surprising, but the ranking feels unfair since a lot of those artists debuted at a time when album sales were sharply declining; I mean other than anomalies like Taylor and Adele, no female pop artists could sell albums at a consistent pace in the 2010s for instance. It also seems unfair to compare Britney to artists who debuted like 10 years after her since obviously Brit sold more albums partly because she had a big head start.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, bas che said:

Let’s not kid ourselves, Britney’s last two albums had dismal sales and clubbed together don’t even contribute to 5% of her overall worldwide album sales. 

im not trying to be negative, just being realistic. Glory was and remains an excellent album.

Glory isn't an excellent album for me..

it's experimental and I love her vocals on it.. every track has excellent intros.. most of them don't have good choruses tbh.. It needed more work for me and it doesn't have a huge bops.. I only enjoy Glory because Britneys unusual vocals on it.. If it was album of other artist I won't like it much

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, NewDisplayName said:

Glory isn't an excellent album for me..

it's experimental and I love her vocals on it.. every track has excellent intros.. most of them don't have good choruses tbh.. It needed more work for me and it doesn't have a huge bops.. I only enjoy Glory because Britneys unusual vocals on it.. If it was album of other artist I won't like it much

There’s this new trend of having songs with minimal chorus’ and it’s annoying. It’s like a sub genre of pop where chorus is replaced with computer sounds found in the likes of Clean Bandit and Justin Bieber’s music from 2014 - 2016. Glory wasn’t as bad when it came to adopting that new sound but you can tell it was following a certain trend instead of setting a new one like Britney’s older albums. 

1 hour ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

I was talking about Adele when you initially quoted me. I literally mentioned Adele in that post, but you didn’t quote that part :selena_red_carpet_gomez_um_stare:

oops my bad. I agree Adele’s elephantine commercial success is unheard of at this day and age. 

• Haha 1
  • Like 1
16 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

I also never realized how many albums P!nk has sold. Crazy when talking about pop females it’s always Britney, Christina, Gaga, Rihanna, Beyoncé, Katy when P!nk outsold everyone but Britney :omggg_shocked_hand_old_lady_woman_surprised: Also people love downplaying JLO when sis has sold almost twice the albums Perry has sold :lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger:

I'm glad that P!nk album selling numbers are high cause she has really good albums.. I was even amazed that after Britney P!nk was a first artist whose whole albums were good and not only singles.. "I'm not dead" was the best album of 2006 and it was on my repeat few months lol

• Like 3
3 hours ago, bas che said:

12 years later it can’t be much different. FF did like 1M at best. BJ and Glory together didn’t even touch 400k. We can overestimate the sales of her or older albums and say they sold a 2M. That is still very far from the 100M mark. 

Pretty sure all these articles were published to promote circus so you gotta take into account those sales which are around 3.4-3.7 million more besides the bmg sales i mentioned are not like 100k its about 4-5 million from the baby and oops eras.. idk if they counted ghmp but if they didnt those are another 5-6 million more and the you can add glory and bj which combined made around 700k physical and the singles collection 

Surprising to know that Shakira's career started in the mid-90s (I'm not too familiar with her work before "Laundry Service"). Also surprised that Beyoncé isn't as high as I thought - this must be the result of digital sales and streaming. But yes, Britney Spears is untouchable (if anyone has the Glory edit from this series, please share!)

my edits made by me britney spears blackout era in the zone era femme  fatale era circus era baby one more time era britney jean era oops i did it  againmy edits made by me britney spears blackout era in the zone era femme  fatale era circus era baby one more time era britney jean era oops i did it  againmy edits made by me britney spears blackout era in the zone era femme  fatale era circus era baby one more time era britney jean era oops i did it  againmy edits made by me britney spears blackout era in the zone era femme  fatale era circus era baby one more time era britney jean era oops i did it  againPin on Britney Spears - Fan ArtPin on Britney Spearsmy edits made by me britney spears blackout era in the zone era femme  fatale era circus era baby one more time era britney jean era oops i did it  againPin on Britney Spears - Fan ArtPin on its britney *****

• Love 6
8 hours ago, TakeYourHand said:

If this is accurate information I have a few thoughts. First being that Britney is a BEAST and after all these years she still hasn’t been topped. I thought for sure Adele and Taylor were way closer. Next thought. Beyoncé is that low? She’s more hype than anything but with the exception of Single Ladies she didn’t really start becoming legendary until 2016 with Formation imo. Also Shakira is a wayyyy bigger international sensation than I realized. I knew she was big but next to Jlo at the Super Bowl I didn’t think she was nearly as big. I guess that’s truly just in America.

honestly Beyonce is a lot of smoke and mirrors.

She hasn't got a true hit since like Run the World

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Stefani said:

Her dominating wasn't surprising, but the ranking feels unfair since a lot of those artists debuted at a time when album sales were sharply declining; I mean other than anomalies like Taylor and Adele, no female pop artists could sell albums at a consistent pace in the 2010s for instance. It also seems unfair to compare Britney to artists who debuted like 10 years after her since obviously Brit sold more albums partly because she had a big head start.

Pink's album sales didn't start making moves til way later though, so it's completely fair.

Even when Britney debuted people weren't moving albums like her, she was a global phenomenon and people REALLY forget just how big her impact was.

Literally Beyonce, JLo, Gaga, Katy, etc, etc. can't even coming close to holding a candle to the level of success Britney had.

11 hours ago, 5HINee said:

Britney herself said she sold more than 105 million albums. I don't trust anyone other than Britney about sales. Certifications can take several seats.

Maybe but considering everyone is like waiting for her, I'm worried:yesplease_yas_agree_preach: 

~

I just hope she doesn't release a surprise album this year.

11 hours ago, Eda said:

She did that with 2 underperformed album !  But I tought britney sold 100M albums

11 hours ago, YannFrance said:

Don't forget this is only physical album sales, streaming are not included in this, so maybe she has passed 100 millions overall :)

10 hours ago, bliss said:

I feel like her sales are really underestimated in this video since she's been reported to have sold 100 million albums for years

And also, their sources are from Chart masters. Chart masters is a self-made website and honestly only 2 or 3 people work in it. It isnt like a company of Billboard, because it is mostly done by the person who finds this information. And human error can be really prevalent in such cases, especially if you dont have a team and a company because Britney is long far from the 77 million sales figure, because without CSPC, she HAS sold 100 million records. I dont understand the BOMT- 25 million pure sales, OIDIA- 20 million pure sales, Britney- 15 million pure sales, ITZ- 6-8 million pure sales figure because those certifications are long outdated figures. The last BOMT was certified was 2005, the last OIDIA was certified was 2009, the last Britney was certified was...2006? and ITZ last certification was from 2004 (it also shows us that ITZ sold 8 million sales in 2004). . So i mean if these figures are long old, her sales right now should be definitely over 100 million albums. Most of the common estimates for its updated sales now are:

• BOMT- 33,500,000
  • OIDIA- 26,000,000
  • Britney- 19,000,000
  • ITZ- 11,000,000
  • Blackout- 4,000,000
  • Circus- 7,000,000
  • Femme fatale- 3,000,000
  • Britney Jean- 1,500,000
  • Glory- 1,000,000

TOTAL SALES: 100+ million sales

Plus, in the question box of Chartmasters, fans even told them that Britney herself confirmed that she has sold 105 million records (or albums?) but they just played it off as "Well, we all know Britney isnt good with numbers bla bla bla" i meant i too am lackluster in math but thats a silly excuse, no certification or source can be as reliable as the artist themselves because they know about the record label.

Also Britney has sold 215 million records

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

And also, their sources are from Chart masters. Chart masters is a self-made website and honestly only 2 or 3 people work in it. It isnt like a company of Billboard, because it is mostly done by the person who finds this information. And human error can be really prevalent in such cases, especially if you dont have a team and a company because Britney is long far from the 77 million sales figure, because without CSPC, she HAS sold 100 million records. I dont understand the BOMT- 25 million pure sales, OIDIA- 20 million pure sales, Britney- 15 million pure sales, ITZ- 6-8 million pure sales figure because those certifications are long outdated figures. The last BOMT was certified was 2005, the last OIDIA was certified was 2009, the last Britney was certified was...2006? and ITZ last certification was from 2004 (it also shows us that ITZ sold 8 million sales in 2004). . So i mean if these figures are long old, her sales right now should be definitely over 100 million albums. Most of the common estimates for its updated sales now are:

• BOMT- 33,500,000
  • OIDIA- 26,000,000
  • Britney- 19,000,000
  • ITZ- 11,000,000
  • Blackout- 4,000,000
  • Circus- 7,000,000
  • Femme fatale- 3,000,000
  • Britney Jean- 1,500,000
  • Glory- 1,000,000

TOTAL SALES: 100+ million sales

Plus, in the question box of Chartmasters, fans even told them that Britney herself confirmed that she has sold 105 million records (or albums?) but they just played it off as "Well, we all know Britney isnt good with numbers bla bla bla" i meant i too am lackluster in math but thats a silly excuse, no certification or source can be as reliable as the artist themselves because they know about the record label.

Also Britney has sold 215 million records

maybe the difference is in the singles? don't record sales include album + singles?

• Love 1