M.I.A. drops new song "CTRL"

Jordan Miller

• Leader

M.I.A. chucked a new song titled "CTRL" onto the Internet.

It's not part of her forthcoming sixth studio album, rather... a one-off. “It was made for the here + now, today,” she said.

Via StereoGum:

It gets into questions of free speech centered on longtime M.I.A. ally Julian Assange. “We gon’ stand up when they try to CTRL,” goes the hook. She also references Trotsky, blurs Lil Pump’s “Gucci Gang” hook with her own early classic “Galang,” and offers the extremely 2020 tell-off, “Face mask ski mask, now you think you’re hard.” Near the end, just before a gang of children starts chanting the chorus, she also raps, “Standing in the way of the trolls/ Everything they say about me’s false.”

Do we have any M.I.A. fans on Exhale? Or, any anti vaxxers? 😏 

The full track is available to listen to on Vimeomia.jpg.eba02265ff1c220845980f067ee04a1b.jpg

• Love 1
10 hours ago, popprison said:

I love some her songs especially Bad Girls, Paper Planes, Jimmy, Galang and Swagga like us 

Those songs are defs good and I dig them. Other ones I like are Hombre, Bamboo Banger, Boyz and World Town. When I was a Hip Hop dancer we had lots of routines to MIA and I even choreographed one to World town. Ugh I miss being a dancer. Damn adulting and having to work in an office. Sad Ice Cream GIF

But ya it was just her first two albums that were good to me. After that it went downhill and it was a big nope from me.

Bored Episode 15 GIF by The Simpsons

• Love 1

I love M.I.A., she was part of the first wave of South Asian representation in mainstream music for me and for that she'll always hold a place in my heart. Plus her documentary really opens your eyes to who she is and her intentions. Her music past few years has been hit and miss but I'm digging this!

I'm also pretty sure she's not an anti-vaxxer? I'm sure she's questioned it but not explicitly said "I'm against vaccinations" but you know, the dummies will literally twist any words into their own negative narrative :zoomzoom:

Edit: Here's the tweet....

• Like 2
14 hours ago, UncannyX-Man2099 said:

Those songs are defs good and I dig them. Other ones I like are Hombre, Bamboo Banger, Boyz and World Town. When I was a Hip Hop dancer we had lots of routines to MIA and I even choreographed one to World town. Ugh I miss being a dancer. Damn adulting and having to work in an office. Sad Ice Cream GIF

But ya it was just her first two albums that were good to me. After that it went downhill and it was a big nope from me.

Bored Episode 15 GIF by The Simpsons

Good for you tbh. That's very tough to do. Continue to stay in great shape though 

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block