When S3X Doesn't Sell

ColdAsFire88

1 minute ago, breathe_on_me_toxic said:

and toxic and work ***** are good example. but for several things. bot are lyricly brilliant and  the videos are very ****. but within the us they were not nu 1 appart from other places in the world. an both have aged extremely well and  are signature songs.

I can see where some would argue that Work Work :makeup: really went for the s3x sell but kind of failed.

However, Toxic managed to sell s3x and achieve success (Grammy, critical acclaim, its one of Brits best known songs) :mattafact:

I hate to say it but Slumber Party would really fit this equation...like it or not it flopped :tiffanycries:and it was ALL about s3x...

• Like 2
6 hours ago, ColdAsFire88 said:

I was watching some 80's & 90's music videos and I noticed that some of the artists aren't around anymore. It doesn't diminish their star power or likability,  but I noticed a trend in a lot of the MV's that were coming up on the playlist: S3X :demi:

Since Aaron Carter is doing live **** I felt like this would be a good topic to discuss :mhm: I feel that a lot of pop stars are groomed or pressured into showing more and more skin so they get a reaction and sell more records  :tired:In the end it sometimes backfires. That said, I'd like to shed light on music videos that tried to sell S3X but didn't work out. 

I think a great example of this is Christina Aguileras Not Myself Tonight. It was supposed to be her comeback single or throne reclamation. The song debuted at #23 and fell every week after that :clicktina: I recall some cringing at this MV and even calling her desperate. I thought she looked gorgeous :chrissy:

What are some music videos that you think tried to sell S3X but failed?

2B2F8DC9-1738-42F5-965B-E01511BF6878.jpeg.3c963cecdde3a9812ee9c4c4bfa4dd53.jpeg

dont know if bionic and nmt are good examples. it failed because it looked  like a gaga rip off. black, latex, *** and its 2010. u obvl think of gaga (plus it was lacking hits and she was over anyways + waited to long). no wonder femme fatale was all white and gold (totally didnt fit the topic and never liked that booklet)

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, breathe_on_me_toxic said:

dont know if bionic and nmt are good examples. it failed because it looked  like a gaga rip off. black, latex, *** and its 2010. u obvl think of gaga (plus it was lacking hits and she was over anyways + waited to long). no wonder femme fatale was all white and gold (totally didnt fit the topic and never liked that booklet)

But I think thats the thing...Gaga wasn't only selling s3x...she was selling the idea of what society thinks a pop star is and put her genius twist on it. There was art and thought put into her videos and lyrics. Christina just saw s3x and made a BDSM video that mimicked Gaga looks and it failed :tifflmao: I really think if X-Tina focused on another lead single and cut back on the s3x appeal she may have managed less backlash but who knows. 

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, ColdAsFire88 said:

I can see where some would argue that Work Work :makeup: really went for the s3x sell but kind of failed.

However, Toxic managed to sell s3x and achieve success (Grammy, critical acclaim, its one of Brits best known songs) :mattafact:

I hate to say it but Slumber Party would really fit this equation...like it or not it flopped :tiffanycries:and it was ALL about s3x...

but over all work ***** didnt fail that big on a long run. and i think the point is that so often evergreens that are ahead of their time dont get to no1 in the us. but worldwide they do. and if a woman is concidered to **** in the us she gets ounished for it while sexsoaked lyrics in rap dont seem to be a problem

6 hours ago, Adriannn said:

Are we forgetting about Ari’s raciest bop? It peaked at 55, dismal for her standards. 

I totally read “racist bop” and watched the whole video to figure out why it was racist and was getting angry because I couldn’t fin Authenticator racist about the video lol 

6 minutes ago, Otaner said:

I totally read “racist bop” and watched the whole video to figure out why it was racist and was getting angry because I couldn’t fin Authenticator racist about the video lol 

I was thinking the same lol, wondering how is that song racist. Actually spent some minutes thinking about it like :slowdown_down_cardib_b_cardi_um_fast_confused_what_stare:

Guess it was only a mistake:cheese:

• Haha 2
13 minutes ago, Fenixxx123 said:

I was thinking the same lol, wondering how is that song racist. Actually spent some minutes thinking about it like :slowdown_down_cardib_b_cardi_um_fast_confused_what_stare:

Guess it was only a mistake:cheese:

Lol, my bad, English is not my mother tongue, now you got me thinking if I spelled ‘raciest’ correctly, as in racy lol. 
:clicktina:

• Haha 1
15 hours ago, ColdAsFire88 said:

I was watching some 80's & 90's music videos and I noticed that some of the artists aren't around anymore. It doesn't diminish their star power or likability,  but I noticed a trend in a lot of the MV's that were coming up on the playlist: S3X :demi:

Since Aaron Carter is doing live **** I felt like this would be a good topic to discuss :mhm: I feel that a lot of pop stars are groomed or pressured into showing more and more skin so they get a reaction and sell more records  :tired:In the end it sometimes backfires. That said, I'd like to shed light on music videos that tried to sell S3X but didn't work out. 

I think a great example of this is Christina Aguileras Not Myself Tonight. It was supposed to be her comeback single or throne reclamation. The song debuted at #23 and fell every week after that :clicktina: I recall some cringing at this MV and even calling her desperate. I thought she looked gorgeous :chrissy:

What are some music videos that you think tried to sell S3X but failed?

2B2F8DC9-1738-42F5-965B-E01511BF6878.jpeg.3c963cecdde3a9812ee9c4c4bfa4dd53.jpeg

I think the issue with "Not Myself Tonight" was that Christina had just come off of Back to Basics.  After Stripped era I think people were happy to see a cleaned up and classy Christina and then got a bit of whiplash going to the Bionic album.  If this song and video had come out after Dirrty it would've made more sense and not been so jarring.

6 hours ago, allthat88 said:

I think the issue with "Not Myself Tonight" was that Christina had just come off of Back to Basics.  After Stripped era I think people were happy to see a cleaned up and classy Christina and then got a bit of whiplash going to the Bionic album.  If this song and video had come out after Dirrty it would've made more sense and not been so jarring.

Mmmm I think even after B2B people knew that Christina could quickly turn into X-Tina. I think she went overboard and tried to mimic Gaga’s artistic persona but failed miserably. 

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, BraveNewbie said:

But this was an obvious parody of the genre. She was not trying to sell ***, she was making fun of it.

I recall people not reading it that way. Despite it being a parody of selling *** it dampened her music career. The album was also more pop than her alternative/acoustic stuff. She even tried going country after this :oprah:

Also this argues both sides of this song...i think this is why the GP misread the message and thought “oh Jewel is going Pop aka selling ***” at the time i did read it as satire but her branding with the razor company was rather confusing. 

https://slate.com/business/2003/07/jewel-shills-for-schick.html

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block