This Day in Pop: Britney makes history performing at the VMA's 2001 (September 6)

• Super Mods
4 hours ago, Pbloem19 said:

Oh I guess I misremembered Then. It could be the tiger. I’m not surprised that the tiger has died since it’s been such a long time. When I was a kid I thought it was a liger since it looked so much bigger and more robust than a tiger. But reptiles live long I hope the snake is doing fine. Also there’s a gecko in slave 4 U video?!:waitwhat:

It's barely visible, in the scene where she's looking at the mirror. I only know about it because they mention it on the Making the Video

• Love 1

Únete a Exhale Latino   ///   Participate on Exhale's Top 100 of 2021

16 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

Mark Wahlberg -"if she does she's going to have to expose her implants,you can only go so far" -talking about Brit

UM excuse you, Mr Wahlberg?:mariahstare:
Let's talk about how you comitted a racist hate crime ,attacking two Asian men and almost blinding one of them or how you used to throw rocks at black children while screaming N****r at them:holduplisten_hold_up_listen_preach_telling_wisdom_wise:
Sit your convict *** down,you slimy, sleazy, disgusting man:holduplisten_hold_up_listen_preach_telling_wisdom_wise:

• Haha 1
  • Like 1
  • 11 months later...
This post was recognized by PokemonSpears !

Rik was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 50 points.

THE DAY IS HERE. I am obsessed with the year 2001 and have a major affinity with all of the things that happened that year in music, pop culture, and believe the political landscape at that time could not be more relevant than it is now. 

20 years ago today, a then 19 year old Britney Spears premiered her single “I’m a Slave 4 U”on television. The show was hosted by Jamie Foxx. Britney was presented by Outkast. The performance was highly anticipated by many, given that her performance of Satisfaction and Oops at the previous year’s VMAs was arguably the show stopper of the night. 

here is Britney on the red carpet being interviewed with none other than Mick Jagger on MTV News. 

prior to the show, the performance and song (which had actually leaked onto the internet in LQ if I’m not mistaken, just a few days prior) was previewed in a commercial with Jamie Foxx. MTV premiered her video diary about a week leading up to the performance to signify the end of her summer.

other performances of the night Included Michael Jackson and Nsync, Missy Elliot, Nelly Furtado, amongst others. An Aaliyah tribute from Janet Jackson was also included in the show. 

as many of you might know, in previous years I begged for this VMAs long ago and got them in HQ.

the red carpet Interviews from the 2001 VMAS (including Usher, Beyoncé, Nysync) and the post show, and overall news coverage of the show is included at the 42:00 mark of this documentary I created about Aaliyah’s life. This includes Justin’s comments on Britney’s performance on the Today Show the next day. 

This performance alone cemented Britney as a pop star beyond the teen pop mold and has since been referenced as a cultural moment. The snake, colloquially named Banana was tracked down in 2016 and is believed to be much bigger today.

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.mtv.com/news/2922939/britney-spears-vmas-snake-found/amp/

9/11 occurred just 5 days after the show aired. 

@Slayer

@Midnight @PokemonSpears @SlayOut @Jordan Miller 🌸🌸💕🌺 herstory!

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Stefani said:

MusicTwitter GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

:girlbye_walking_away_leave_get_out_leaving_chair_okay: and the way she said **** teen pop actually, I’ll bring my own sound w the Neptunes to the table.
Bye Willa and other Britney copycats :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white:

And can u believe 20 years later she’s still more relevant than EVER?

• Haha 1
  • Curators

Aside from being an iconic performance. This truly is an incredibly well put together performance, the song, the costume, the animals everything blended so perfectly to bring this number to life and go on to become one of the most important performances in pop music, it's just amazing.

Edited by Midnight
  • Love 3

<<<Magic Begins at Midnight>>> 

13 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Aside from being an iconic performance. This truly is an incredibly well put together performance, the song, the costume, the animals everything blended so perfectly to bring this number to life and go on to become one of the most important performances in pop music, it's just amazing.

Magic really does begin at midnight. I am so obsessed with this show in particular and am proud to say I enjoyed so many of the performances that night. That beint said, you know something is up when Britney was the best performance of the night while the king of pop was there. No one talks much about that performance while Britney’s is a VMAs staple. She really possessed a fire for the stage back then particularly, freedom… a passion. The dance itself is so beautifully done. 

as she said…….. the VMAs don’t just give her a stage :kylie_proud_yes_wow_impressive_amazing:

They give her a story :bedtime_britney_book_Reading: some funny way of taking a fraction of a second and making it live forever :outwithit_go_on_wave_britney_femme_fatale_ff_documentary:….

before u know it :xcuseme_mad_say_what_hmm_confused: it’s history :bedtime_britney_book_Reading:

before u know it :ponderney_britney_thinking_sunglasses_hmm_wondering_deciding_orange_blue: ……. 
Its @Britney***** :queenflopga_pink_sass_walking_away_bye:

• Love 2

It is honestly hard to overstate how iconic this is. To this day even non fans are peripherally aware of the "snake performance". They don't know the year, the song, or anything else but *that visual* has etched its place in pop culture history.

Maybe have my fan shades on but I'm thinking of parallels to the Beatles on Ed Sullivan show or Michael Jackson performing billie jean on the Motown special. Rare stuff.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, sunny_liston said:

It is honestly hard to overstate how iconic this is. To this day even non fans are peripherally aware of the "snake performance". They don't know the year, the song, or anything else but *that visual* has etched its place in pop culture history.

Maybe have my fan shades on but I'm thinking of parallels to the Beatles on Ed Sullivan show or Michael Jackson performing billie jean on the Motown special. Rare stuff.

Oh I 10000% agree with everything you just said. It really has etched its way in and is a prominent force of what keeps MTV and rhe modern day performance alive. Gimmick or not, thr dancing and production of the song itself speaks for her greatness. The choreography is just amplified by the snake, but even without it…. It’s great. You really need talent to back up something like that and she did it. So many people know of it, regardless of how old they are. 

I agree. It’s rare stuff and she’s up there with Nirvana’s Live, MJ’s Billie Jean. I actually own a shirt from the 2001 VMAs that was worn by the actual crew wore Backstage

https://ibb.co/qxNc2ZN
https://ibb.co/3y9MQKj
https://ibb.co/170dhjS

• Love 1