Is Katy Perry's "Smile" A Sign Of Goodbye?

Honestly, I'm so over the commentaries about Katy being 'over' or 'finished'. Katy Perry looks more content to me than ever. She's in a healthy relationship, she just became a mother, she's got strong family/friends ties. She has nothing left to prove to anybody, and that's what makes 'Smile' such a fun record. 

Critics are gonna hate on it because artistically it's not a stretch for her, but the songs are fun, they're enjoyable, and lyrically they reflect where Katy is at as a woman. 

This isn't the end for Katy Perry. It's the end of this chapter.... because it in an industry as hard and ****ed up as the music biz, you NEED a Katy Perry. 

Personally, I can't wait to see where she goes next. 

• Like 1
On 9/5/2020 at 11:52 AM, Trentals said:

I hate how we have this culture where if someone isn’t successful for every single era they are “over” and should retire.

Katy has had her peak and is currently experiencing lows, but she’s still hugely famous. She’s not going anywhere.

Some peoples peaks last longer than others, Taylor Swift as an example, but eventually even she will start to underperform. It’s really difficult to continually outdo yourself and hit the mark every time. 

I know we make fun of Katy flopping, hell this album is her making fun of herself! But as long as she continues to release bops, she’ll always have a dedicated fan base. Look at people like Carly Rae Jepsen. Commercial success isn’t everything in this new era of streaming. 

A reasonable,measured,mature response. I love to see it.:kylie:

• 8 months later...

Since Katy Perry’s Capitol Records debut in 2008 with One of the Boys, she has racked up a cumulative 50 billion streams alongside worldwide sales of over 48 million adjusted albums and 135 million tracks with her albums One of the Boys, Teenage Dream, PRISM and Witness. Her summer 2019 single, “Never Really Over,” off her latest album SMILE, is certified PLATINUM and was the biggest streaming launch of Katy’s musical career. 2020’s SMILE release has sold over 1.25 million adjusted albums, with nearly 2 billion combined streams to date. Views of her 2013 video “Roar” recently surpassed three billion views – making Katy the first female artist to reach this milestone, while “Dark Horse” is close behind with over 2.9 billion views.  Katy was also the first female artist to have four videos surpass a billion views each. Her videos for “Firework” and “Last Friday Night” have over one billion views. Katy’s 2015 Super Bowl performance is the highest rated in the event’s history. She is one of only five artists in history to have topped 100 million certified units with their digital singles – and the first-ever Capitol Records recording artist to join the elite RIAA 100 million Certified Songs club.

Aside from being one of the best-selling musical artists of all time, Katy is an active advocate of many philanthropic causes. In 2013, Katy was appointed a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador because of her commitment to improving the lives of children worldwide. From traveling to Vietnam and Madagascar to highlight the needs of some of the world’s most vulnerable children, to empowering girls and supporting adolescents living with HIV/AIDS, as well as raising awareness for UNICEF’s emergency relief efforts, Katy has used her powerful voice to advocate for children and support UNICEF’s mission to ensure every child’s right to health, education, equality, and protection. She was awarded with the Audrey Hepburn Humanitarian Award in 2016.

Katy has also been a champion for LGBTQ+ equality. She has received numerous awards for her work, including the Trevor Project's Hero Award in 2012, the Human Rights Campaign's National Equality Award in 2017, and amfAR’s Award of Courage in 2018. She has also performed at various events to raise funds for the fight against HIV/AIDS, including 2009's Life Ball and 2016's amfAR Cannes Gala. The Katy Perry Charitable Trust UK gave the cure to Ebola to the US Government for free in 2014. Katy has several successful seasons as a judge on American Idol and for the last series received $25 million and Katy’s good humour and presence has made American Idol the highest rated TV show in America and so well has Katy taken to TV, she has been offered a small fortune to replace the Ellen show with her own chat show. The cherry on top of Katy’s iced cake since her singles fail to chart anymore is a Las Vegas residency where she has been offered $168 million for 40 shows making her the highest paid Las Vegas residency of all time.KATY-PERRY-at-the-Arclight-Cinemas-in-Ho

I kind of see her being more of a host or celebrity personality and less focused on her own music. Taking more gigs like American Idol. She seems to enjoy attention and being famous :jl_jamie_lynn_awkward_cringe_eek:

or what would be a really cool move is if she produced/wrote songs/directed other artists. pay it forward a little bit from behind the scenes.

p.s. Is 5 albums the standard for a first time record deal ? 

Maybe Her last 2 albums were not as successful as her previous works, yet she is an international start, and thinking it's a goodbye, is not being realistic.

Like it or not, Katy Perry will come back with more music. Anyways, the way music sells nowadays is not as it did back in the day, so for an album not to be on tope of each list does not mean the end for the artist.

For a singer, to be a singer, doesn't need to sell out 20.000 seats stadium. You can also do smaller venues.

On 6/2/2021 at 4:31 AM, jordeezy said:

I think Katy will be an actress in her future. I feel like she could be the next Lucille Ball. 

Ikr, the Part Of Me and 365 music videos can attest to that. Even her How I Met Your Mother's appearance was really good too. Maybe Katy's just pressured not to pursue acting because she doesn't want to be compared with Britney and Gaga.

• Like 1
On 9/5/2020 at 10:50 AM, ColdAsFire88 said:

Katy Perry is too big to disappear. She might not top the charts anymore but even iconic singers like Alanis Morrisette, Avril Lavigne, Brandy, Monica (to name a few) who once dominated the charts still release new albums and MV’s. They don’t get as much promotion or hype like they used to but they’re still around after 20+ years. Its hard to say what direction Katy will go but I see her doing music thats more true to Kathryn and less Katy. Which is kind of a bummer but shes earned it. 

Avril and Monica...Brady Bunch Jan GIF by MOODMAN

I would never use the term icon to describe those two!