Is Katy Perry's "Smile" A Sign Of Goodbye?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8YxnKmGpXRck8n-nzx9F

(two minute read)

Katy Perry has recently celebrated her three biggest achievements in years; the 10th year anniversary of Teenage Dream, the release of her highly anticipated fifth studio album Smile, and the birth her lovely daughter, Daisy Dove Bloom. Behind the radiating positivity, the underwhelming sales of her newest record might wrap it up as it predicted to debut at #5 on Billboard Chart 200, breaking her #1 streak on the album chart.

With the continuous decline from the public and sales, could it be the sign of her goodbye? Or has Perry already decided to step back from the music scene and be a full time mom? 

It is a common knowledge that Perry signed a contract with Capitol Records back in 2007, having a record deal of five studio albums. Throughout her career, she generated countless radio and chart topping hits, sold hundred million of records and some sold out shows from her previous world tours; California Dream: World Tour, Prismatic World Tour and Witness: The World Tour

Following the release of Smile, it does not only mark her comeback from 2017's Witness, but also the end of her contract. Capitol has been very vocal about the disappointing reception of Perry's fourth studio album, as the favourite California Gurl has continuous to underperform even after testing the waters by releasing her droplet singles like Never Really Over, Harley's In Hawaii and Never Worn White. The label did not even bother to overwhelmingly support and promote Perry's newest project. 

And by listening to a message recorded by Perry included in the target and international edition of the album, some lines might support the idea of her stepping back from the music scene as the voice memo's suggested:

"And that's what a lot of this record is. It's, it's a... a record that I never really set out to make, but here we are."

Perry said,

"You know, after continuing my writing process for two years, I would get a little message and just be a vessel for, um... different songs or ideas over the past two years, and we had many of them so we felt like, maybe it should be a record. Maybe the record should be called 'Smile', and it should be about finding your smile once again."

Perry sentiments as she continued.

At this point, you can easily hear the tone of contentment after the effort of bouncing back from 2017's hate train.

So far, Capitol Records and Perry herself have not made any official statement [yet] subjecting the plans after her newest album or the contract. And that is why many of her fans are raging about, the lack of direction of this record and the way of handling Perry

As a fan hearing her recorded message, it strucks me that maybe it is really a time for her to step back. Not to completely quit the industry but to take her time to rebuild and grow as a woman, a mother and an artist. Maybe an artist not as Katy Perry, but as Katheryn Hudson

Nonetheless, if this Perry's newest offering is her farewell, we profoundly appreciated it and it did brought back our smile. 

Thank you, Katy Perry!

Related:

bye-katy.jpg.9639fdf5f726f9a9a0eb3f78b56bfd96.jpg

Edited by ALBAVEASP
  • Love 4

Katy Perry is too big to disappear. She might not top the charts anymore but even iconic singers like Alanis Morrisette, Avril Lavigne, Brandy, Monica (to name a few) who once dominated the charts still release new albums and MV’s. They don’t get as much promotion or hype like they used to but they’re still around after 20+ years. Its hard to say what direction Katy will go but I see her doing music thats more true to Kathryn and less Katy. Which is kind of a bummer but shes earned it. 

• Love 1

I hate how we have this culture where if someone isn’t successful for every single era they are “over” and should retire.

Katy has had her peak and is currently experiencing lows, but she’s still hugely famous. She’s not going anywhere.

Some peoples peaks last longer than others, Taylor Swift as an example, but eventually even she will start to underperform. It’s really difficult to continually outdo yourself and hit the mark every time. 

I know we make fun of Katy flopping, hell this album is her making fun of herself! But as long as she continues to release bops, she’ll always have a dedicated fan base. Look at people like Carly Rae Jepsen. Commercial success isn’t everything in this new era of streaming. 

• Love 5
  • Like 2
  • Leader
9 hours ago, Albert Aspera said:

But could be her goodbye's all about the continuous decline from the public and sales? Or has Perry already decided to step back from the music scene, and be a full time mom? 

:katycry: 

I hope not tbh. She also literally sings "goodbye" in "Not the End of the World"

Great write-up! @Albert Aspera Featured on the homepage!

• Love 2

With this album flopping, i do hope she realises how fickle showbiz is. My only issue with Katy is how cocky she got at her peak. Downvote me all you want but I would never warm up to the snide remarks she made against Brit. They were absolutely unnecessary. She was also mean spirited against a legend like Mariah. 

Katy Perry i hope this second consecutive flop era teaches you a lesson. Nothing personal against her, i am sure she is a nice person but i hope this humbles her. 

:deserves: 

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Yes, she was cocky and said rude things while she was white hot at the time. I think she has matured. People act like she killed their beloved pet or something. It’s absolutely criminal the hate she gets. Smile the album is great pop. People don’t like her anymore because she is not playing the raven haired sl-t role. That’s honestly what the problem is. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Dexwhitespears said:

With this album flopping, i do hope she realises how fickle showbiz is. My only issue with Katy is how cocky she got at her peak. Downvote me all you want but I would never warm up to the snide remarks she made against Brit. They were absolutely unnecessary. She was also mean spirited against a legend like Mariah. 

Katy Perry i hope this second consecutive flop era teaches you a lesson. Nothing personal against her, i am sure she is a nice person but i hope this humbles her. 

:deserves: 

I don't mind if she comes back, but she was so sharp-mouthed, overly intense, and full of an inflated spirit, that she kinda self-destructed. She had that young feeling free spirit, but she had little ground to stand on! I do believe she is very pretty, and I am someone who feels what she said about Britney's mental health was god-awful.

I think that the public is kinda passively humbling her because she was so offputting a few years before! I do hope that she can come back. She's obviously past her 'hey day', but she can still make a hit single and a hit album with her really hardcore fans.

Teenage Dreams will always be my bop.

• Love 2
  • Like 3

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block