6ix9ine puts the industry on blast for payola: "everything is paid into radio. How does a song get on radio? Cash."

Jordan Miller

• Leader

Rapper 6ix9ine claims songs make their way to radio because of the mighty dollar.

Money talks. :jabba:

We been knew, but it's interesting to hear his take on things considering all the chart drama he was embroiled in earlier. :receipts2:

Here's an excerpt from his interview with The NY Times:

You’ve seen some success since you were released, but those songs peaked big and quickly disappeared, making it seem like you’re more of a spectacle than anything. Why isn’t your music sticking around?

Because everything is paid into radio. How does a song get on radio? Cash. Is that song really hot or is it the money being put into that record to promote it? When you call a Carl Chery [of Spotify] or a Larry Jackson [of Apple Music] and say, do me a favor, can we get on the playlist Rap Caviar, New Music Friday, is that really your record that’s hot or your label pulling strings?

“Trollz” is also just not that good compared to “Gummo,” “Kooda.”

“Trollz” is a No. 1 record. Why is “Gummo” and “Kooda” not? ’Cause money!

So how do you get around that?

We have to fix those relationships. And money has to be spent.

What do you say to people who say you’re inflating your streams, whether it’s through bots or pre-roll ads or dirty marketing tactics?

I’ll say the same thing I said to Billboard: Who doesn’t? Everybody inflates their numbers. Ev-er-y-bod-y.

Not NY Times dragging "Trollz" like that. :orangu:

Thoughts, Exhale? Are we surprised labels are paying for hits? 6ix.jpg.3bd7365938b39967cafb71767e0837e9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Content Curators

Also this:

But if somebody said to you, “I can never forgive you for what you did to that child,” would you understand?

Yeah, I would say God bless. I don’t wake up every day and think, “Does this person like me?” Instead I say, “How can this person hate me even more?” Because someone who doesn’t like me is not comfortable in their own skin.

:katyclown:

• Haha 1

He is trash but he ain't lying. Oh and by the way, awards are bought too. That is why many people have said some artists won their way with $$$. Not to mention names (though you will guess) cause I truly have nothing against that artist, but if your daddy pretty much invests in a record label and has the money to pay your way up, you can literally sweep award shows over and over. Same thing happens in the 6v and movie industry

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block