Circus is darker in tone than Blackout.

sullivanSP

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of all, welcome back king @sullivanSP! I’ve missed your posts.

I don’t think Circus is darker than Blackout in sound, but the lyrics are definitely more meaningful and thoughtful, while Blackout’s entire philosophy is escapism and ignoring your problems through partying/***/clubbing.

Unusual You and Blur are two of my favorite Britney songs when I’m feeling sad or tired and need something chill and melancholic.

I can see what you mean about certain songs sounding menacing though. Shattered Glass, Kill the Lights, Lace & Leather - they all get intense and a bit strange. Mmm Papi is weird too, and Phonography is dark sounding. Circus (the song) also has that weird chaotic synth, dark feel, and a slight melancholic feel too imo. The more I think about this, the more I think you might be on to something. :ponderney:

Yes. I think it is kinda dark in songs like

CIRCUS

The fact she feels like her life is a circus.. DUH! 

Kill the lights:

You're the star now, welcome to the big league
They all want a pic, they all wanna see, see, see
What you're made of, what you're gonna do
Is life gonna get the best of you?

Unusual you:

Didn't anyone tell you, you're supposed to, break my heart?
I expect you do, so why haven't you?

Blur:

Can't remember what I did last night
Maybe I shouldn't have given in
But I just couldn't fight
Hope I didn't but I think I might've
Everything, everything is still a blur

Mannequin:

You can cry your eyes out of your head,
Baby, baby,
I don't care, I don't care,
You can cry-cry-cry again-gain-gain,
My face like a mannequin,

There u go.

tenor.gif

6 minutes ago, Toxic.Latin said:

Yes. I think it is kinda dark in songs like

CIRCUS

The fact she feels like her life is a circus.. DUH! 

Kill the lights:

You're the star now, welcome to the big league
They all want a pic, they all wanna see, see, see
What you're made of, what you're gonna do
Is life gonna get the best of you?

Unusual you:

Didn't anyone tell you, you're supposed to, break my heart?
I expect you do, so why haven't you?

Blur:

Can't remember what I did last night
Maybe I shouldn't have given in
But I just couldn't fight
Hope I didn't but I think I might've
Everything, everything is still a blur

Mannequin:

You can cry your eyes out of your head,
Baby, baby,
You can cry-cry-cry again-gain-gain,
My face like a mannequin,

There u go.

tenor.gif

I smell your breath, it makes me cry

Savage :bedtime:

13 minutes ago, Karmickiss said:

You have a point I never noticed Circus had such dark songs. Mannequin, Kill The Lights etc.

The ‘Circus’ music video has some sort of creepy elements such as the Circus performers, including the ribbon dancers, contortionists, clowns and a mime on stilts.

P.S.-I am afraid of Clown(s) when I was 4 (2003), and now I am still scared of them (Coulrophobia).

3 minutes ago, ColdAsFire89 said:

Circus (song) production always seemed dark to me.

especially if you seek Amy has the classic circus Melody but in a dark evil way

I agree with a fact that If U Seek Amy has the Circus melody and theme that can be transformed into a sinister way like a reminiscent of Joker or Pennywise. 🤡 

:britdrown:

51 minutes ago, Urbanney said:

First of all, welcome back king @sullivanSP! I’ve missed your posts.

I don’t think Circus is darker than Blackout in sound, but the lyrics are definitely more meaningful and thoughtful, while Blackout’s entire philosophy is escapism and ignoring your problems through partying/***/clubbing.

Unusual You and Blur are two of my favorite Britney songs when I’m feeling sad or tired and need something chill and melancholic.

I can see what you mean about certain songs sounding menacing though. Shattered Glass, Kill the Lights, Lace & Leather - they all get intense and a bit strange. Mmm Papi is weird too, and Phonography is dark sounding. Circus (the song) also has that weird chaotic synth, dark feel, and a slight melancholic feel too imo. The more I think about this, the more I think you might be on to something. :ponderney:

That’s so sweet of you, I do lurk on the forums everyday ♥️ And totally agree with all the points you’ve made

4 minutes ago, sullivanSP said:

The album is creepy and intense and in my opinion has some subliminal messages in most of the lyrics. It’s actually a very mature album. I’m starting to appreciate it much more during quarantine. Its strange and cold sounding. Kinda loving it. 

Britney (Myah) Jean is another creepy album for her discography with the tracks like Alien, Work *****, Till It’s Gone and Chillin With You (Lou). 🤪 :deserves:

I agree that Circus is pretty dark too. Since it was released after the 2007 situation and advertised as this huge comeback, everyone thought the album was fresh and happy but i have always sensed a tone of darkness throughout the album.

Blur could have been about the transition between 2007 and 2008 and how it happened way too fast that everything seemed like a blur. 

Mannequin is either about people being fake and putting a front in her life/the industry or Britney herself couldn't reveal her true emotions like any other normal humans to protect herself.

Circus is just about how the media followed and watched her as she grew bigger in her career and her downfall. 

Honestly this is why i love Circus so much :ohcrap:

Circus FEELS somewhat dark (to me)

Unusual You - I would actually definitely call this song “creepy”. & you could MAYBE say the same for Blur. 

Remember when Lady Gaga commented on Unusual You? (I found the comment)

Lady GaGa comments on "Unusual You" :

"This is such a great song. I listened to 'Circus' on the plane, and when I got to this song I stopped, and played it over and over. It's so beautiful and so sad and I love the way it has an eerie sonic quality. As if the music was put into a funhouse mirror. Go girl. Great pop."

Creepy Songs from each of Britney’s albums (excluding ‘Britney Jean’)

‘Baby One More Time’-Baby One More Time, You Drive Me Crazy and Born To Make You Happy

’Oops I Did It Again’-Lucky, What You See Is What You Get, Don’t Go Knockin’ On My Door and Can’t Make You Love Me

’Britney’-I’m A Slave 4 U, Overprotected, Let Me Be, I’m Not A Girl Not Yet A Woman, Before The Goodbye and Bombastic Love

’In The Zone’-Toxic, Outrageous, Showdown, Breathe On Me, The Hook Up, Touch Of My Hand, Early Mornin’ and Everytime

’Blackout’-Gimme More, Piece Of Me, Get Naked I Got A Plan, Ooh Ooh Baby, Get Back, Heaven On Earth, Why Should I Be Sad, Perfect Lover and Freakshow

’Circus’-Circus, Unusual You, Blur, Mannequin, Kill The Lights and Phonography

’Femme Fatale’-Hold It Against Me, I Wanna Go, Criminal, He About To Lose Me, Big Fat Bass and Inside Out

’Glory’-Invitation, Slumber Party, Liar, Coupure Électrique, Mood Ring and Just Like Me

Archived