Britney Spears' "Greatest Hits: My Prerogative" vinyl is coming

2 hours ago, PickleSpears said:

1) The thing about records is that the sound is only really better on vinyl if the music was made back in that era. When you take newer music, which is digital, and press it onto vinyl, it doesn't have the same effect. It will sound grainy which a lot of people like that "record sound" but it will not sound "better" than digital or a CD pressing. Also, with pop music on vinyl, you don't get the bass at all so it's just a different experience. It's def more for the novelty.

2) Yes, it's a UO exclusive. 

Thank you.

I see that that vinyl is actually coming on Nov, so i think i might wait.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, PrettyGorl said:

My friend got a record player and... wow

it does not sound great

granted not all records and record players are made equal but I was under the impression records sound better than mp3s like cds do :cheese:

That's 100% on your friend's equipment, me thinks :p Britney's vinyl pressings sound fantastic on my set-up; definitely an improvement over any digital/cd content. Esp. the Max Martin tracks are very dynamic on vinyl. I do think the clear pressings are better for Brit (as opposed to the original colored pressings), since they have less surface noise. I also see quite some misinformation in this thread about the quality of music on vinyl. Whether or not music will sound better on vinyl depends on several variables: on how it is pressed and mastered (for vinyl) AND someone's actual player and speakers. Vinyl is a true uncompressed and lossless format (music released on CD is not; it's still compressed to fit on the disc and/or sold digitally)--i.e. even your lossless cd (rips) will have frequencies cut off, on a record these can still be present.

If music is created digitally it does not mean it will sound the same (or better/worse) on vinyl; if the uncompressed data is pressed to vinyl and it's done well; it has all the potential to have far more audible frequencies/dynamics than it's digital or cd counterpart. Madonna's Madame X record is a good recent example; the vinyl master has significantly more detail than the cd (and heavier on the bass as well). Vinyl is of course more prone to scratches etc, which can affect how your music sounds. Someone's comment earlier about pop music on vinyl having less bass response doesn't make much sense to me. If anything, most pop music pressed on vinyl in recent years (incl. B's UO pressings) are heavier on bass than the cd/digital masters. BUT, again this depends on your speakers and player. If you have a cheap suitcase vinyl player / crossley, with a cheap stylus and mediocre speakers, then vinyl won't really shine like it would on a slightly more expensive set up. It's like printing a 4K picture on a 1995 printer, as it were. If you're interested in collecting vinyl and how various pressings sound, use discogs.com. As you can see there, most of Britney's vinyl releases are commended for how good they sound. Nevertheless, UO is a bit hit or miss when it comes to their vinyl releases generally speaking. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1