My top Five Gems From the just released Ace of Base Hidden Gems, volume 2

Spicechinodiva

I was obsessed this weekend over the new Ace of Base Album, 23 previously unreleased vault tracks from the original line up, not the brief line up with Clara Mae, a club queen in the US, who was briefly in Ace of Base for two year's. But that's very controversial, as it caused a huge rift between founding member Jenny who at 37 was replaced with younger vocalists, She felt betrayed by her Brother and Basically best friend for doing this behind her back. 

Jenny at one point was considering taking Ulf and her brother to court over using the name Ace of Base even though the original four all owned that name. 

She never thought about taking the girls to court as she said, I'm not mad at them, it's not their fault what happened. It's just those two need to change the name because it's false advertisement. 

It took a few years but everything is settled and all the relationships are mended.

Well this past Friday, they released the long talked about sequel to 2015's Hidden Gems. 

Here are my top Five 

#5 At the borderline (Moogoperator 2).

Ace of Base is notriously known for having several early or multiple versions of songs. At the borderline is no exception, and it's very Happy Nation/The Sign esque which made the band the biggest act of 1994. 

As it's very positive and infectious

#4 Bad dad

Basically lyrics detail a son or daughter, who keeps misbehaving, and making the dad mad, and I guess in this case they are a sibling in the narrative obviously older and talking taking them home and shaping them up, cos instead of admitting they are the problem, they blame others so they can take the fall, for whatever they did that was so horrible..

#3 Stranger to love 

Very beautiful Life esque and The que sera synth lines, This is probably some of the stuff recorded during the sessions for 1995's The Bridge. 

#2 For a Thousand days (Demo

Perfect harmonies between Malin and Her sister Jenny. 

And nice and libs By Buddha of course

#1 Giving it up 1999 version

We Acers have 3 versions of this very happy Nation track. 

The updated 2015 remix for The original hidden gems, the 1991 Original cut on the 2015 Happy Nation US. Version remastered as the Bonus track. 

Now this 1999 take which definitely sounds it was very close for inclusion for their greatest hits best of "Singles of the 90s, obviously Hallo hallo was chosen instead. But after 2 decades the 1999 take is issued. 

Enjoy.

@Jordan Miller

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived