Mariah Carey reflects on "extremely uncomfortable" moment with Ellen DeGeneres

Slayer

Totally disgusting, especially for the world to see on TV.  Not every woman or couple is ready to announce their pregnancy as soon as it happens. A lot of couple struggle more than people know, and it's such a traumatizing experience when you have miscarriage(s).  It's one thing to do that with close friends/relative who haven't had that trauma, but Ellen was so out of line here doing that on TV and still airing it after the fact.

7 hours ago, Barajas said:

I dont know if I am the only one, but I didn´t like how Ellen treated Britney in the last thing they did together at the mall for Glory promotion.
In the last part of the video you can see how Ellen was disrepectful,  pushed her to do a lot of things, screamed at her and basically treated her like she was 5 years old :nochillbrit:.
I know she was trying to be funny, but you do not need to be mean for that :pensiveney:.

Completely agree.  Britney looked super happy in all the other Glory promo interviews and skits, but in that one she looked so uncomfortable... which was strange because she was super comfortable in all the previous ones.
I can see why she was though... she made her look like a typical snobby celebrity b***h who demands free things... when we all know Britney is nothing like that... she's the most frugal and humble celeb we all know. 
Then when she came back later on to announce there's a Domination announcement, she looked uncomfortable as well in front of Ellen, but in the behind the scenes clips and pics she looked comfy and happy with her DJ and staff.  So definitely, she doesn't have that same connection with Ellen anymore since that mall skit.

• Love 1
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Britney'sBish said:

She's got so many interviews that are so hard to watch.

I’m sure Ellen is an evil *****, because of course she is, it just makes sense.... but that was a perfectly normal interview.  She ribbs her guests and that’s what makes it fun.  For whatever reason behind the scenes she’s become this nasty animal, but the charm she exudes when the camera rolls is undeniable.  Mariah’s incident was very unfortunate though.  That was just an assholish thing to do to someone.

8 hours ago, Slayer said:

Mariah Carey recalls an “extremely uncomfortable” moment with Ellen DeGeneres in in 2008 in which she felt pressured to reveal she had a pregnancy that she later miscarried.

In their interview together, Ellen asked Mariah to confirm or deny tabloid rumor that she was expecting a baby with then-husband Nick Cannon.

Carey avoided the subject. To try and get info out of her, DeGeneres offered Carey a glass of champagne to “toast not being pregnant”.

Ellen noticed Mariah fake sipped the champagne from her glass, promoting Ellen to shout: “You are pregnant!”

“I was extremely uncomfortable with that moment is all I can say,” Carey recalls in a new interview with Vulture. “And I really have had a hard time grappling with the aftermath.”

She continued: “I wasn’t ready to tell anyone because I had had a miscarriage. I don’t want to throw anyone that’s already being thrown under any proverbial bus, but I didn’t enjoy that moment.”

Mariah added she wished “empathy” had “been implemented” in the moment, adding: “But what am I supposed to do? It’s like, ‘What are you going to do?’”

Below is the interview.

Thoughts, Exhale? 

mimi-ellen.jpg.23b0da318a0a217283d9742d5929b19f.jpg

Ellen was obviously joking but Mariah, being such a scholar, saw an opportunity to educate the world on the dangers of peer pressure. LOL. Camp Mariah kids, take note. I find the whole thing to be overblown. They were both laughing. Ellen was being silly. They were both happy and in good spirits. Mariah was definitely a little uncomfortable because of what she was going through in her personal life but Ellen didn't mean any harm. She was just trying to force an answer out of her at an attempt in humor and to try to get the scoop. It's an old Hollywood thing. Interviewers all have their own styles. Some of the most famous reporters of all time will sometimes end up in the hot seat over their tactics. Call it a misstep if you must but I'd knock it up to a bad joke. (I found it to be funny) That was a different time too people need to remember. I still remember Mariah and Nick going to Ellen's birthday party around the same time and they all went on go-karts together. Lot’s of lovely gifts exchanged over the years. I wholeheartedly believe that Ellen has nothing but love for Mariah.

• Love 1
  • Like 2

Lots of articles are saying Ellen "outed" Mariah's pregnancy. This isn't true. Mariah wasn't "forced" to reveal her pregnancy as many are claiming. There was no announcement or press frenzy immediately after this interview. She didn't reveal anything (including her miscarriage) until 2010 when she was pregnant with the twins.

Also, she miscarried before this Ellen interview, not afterwards. Mariah made that clear in the article, but this angle probably makes Ellen look worse.

Don't get me wrong, I think Ellen definitely messed up here. It was intrusive and inappropriate. However, I don't think Ellen considered that Mariah had possibly miscarried. I also don't think Ellen understood how big of a deal revealing a pregnancy is, considering she doesn't have or want kids. It's not on her radar. She has a totally different mindset.

I'm not convinced she meant any harm here. Mariah also went back on Ellen's show several times after this incident. So I think that speaks for itself.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, AOLUV said:

Lots of articles are saying Ellen "outed" Mariah's pregnancy. This isn't true. Mariah wasn't "forced" to reveal her pregnancy as many are claiming. There was no announcement or press frenzy immediately after this interview. She didn't reveal anything (including her miscarriage) until 2010 when she was pregnant with the twins.

Also, she miscarried before this Ellen interview, not afterwards. Mariah made that clear in the article, but this angle probably makes Ellen look worse.

Don't get me wrong, I think Ellen definitely messed up here. It was intrusive and inappropriate. However, I don't think Ellen considered that Mariah had possibly miscarried. I also don't think Ellen understood how big of a deal revealing a pregnancy is, considering she doesn't have or want kids. It's not on her radar. She has a totally different mindset.

I'm not convinced she meant any harm here. Mariah also went back on Ellen's show several times after this incident. So I think that speaks for itself.

Mariah was simply answering an interviewer's question about her experience, and she did so honestly. 
She said she didn't personally want to talk or out her pregnancy at that time because she wasn't ready yet, and because of her previous miscarriage. People who haven't experienced a miscarriage don't understand the trauma that comes it (very similar to that of grief), some even experience mental illness. That's why a lot of women don't like to talk about their pregnancy until a few months in when they know the baby is healthy and well on the way.  Ellen should respect people's boundaries, especially on such sensitive issues. When you see someone is uncomfortable, you should change the topic.  Even when she was ready to make her pregnancy public, she still didn't want to make some big announcement. Ellen still outed it on tv for everyone to see, if she really wanted to joke around about that she could have done so off camera.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, jennyj said:

Totally disgusting, especially for the world to see on TV.  Not every woman or couple is ready to announce their pregnancy as soon as it happens. A lot of couple struggle more than people know, and it's such a traumatizing experience when you have miscarriage(s).  It's one thing to do that with close friends/relative who haven't had that trauma, but Ellen was so out of line here doing that on TV and still airing it after the fact.

Completely agree.  Britney looked super happy in all the other Glory promo interviews and skits, but in that one she looked so uncomfortable... which was strange because she was super comfortable in all the previous ones.
I can see why she was though... she made her look like a typical snobby celebrity b***h who demands free things... when we all know Britney is nothing like that... she's the most frugal and humble celeb we all know. 
Then when she came back later on to announce there's a Domination announcement, she looked uncomfortable as well in front of Ellen, but in the behind the scenes clips and pics she looked comfy and happy with her DJ and staff.  So definitely, she doesn't have that same connection with Ellen anymore since that mall skit.

What the ****? It was just supposed to be a funny Video? It shouldnt be taken seriously at all. I dont want to defend her but come on... 

• Content Curators
1 hour ago, Adam Wiatrowski97 said:

What the ****? It was just supposed to be a funny Video? It shouldnt be taken seriously at all. I dont want to defend her but come on... 

Did y’all grow up with no moral compass or something? Who tf puts someone on national tv and forces a newly pregnant person to drink alcohol to reveal if they are pregnant or not 

that’s literally the most screwed up thing 

• Love 1
  • Super Mods
12 hours ago, Britney'sBish said:

She's got so many interviews that are so hard to watch.

Honestly the fact she was hammered here but still kept her professionalism and bubbly personality literally makes me respect her so much :orangu: ******* queen. Functioning alcoholics are some super high IQ people not gonna lie. I'm glad she's well now, I think she's a wonderful person :hugs:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block