Here to remind the public, The Spice girls aren't one hit wonders in the US

Spicechinodiva

If I have to hear Spice girls are a one hit wonder in the US. I'm schooling ya. 

School is in session.

They have 7 US Top 20 hot 100 appearance's. The most for a British girl group in the US. 

Wannabe #1 for 4 weeks, debuted at #11 matching a Beatles record and matching The debut position of Ironic by Alanis morissette.

Wannabe dethroned The 11 week reign of Un-Break my heart by Toni Braxton. 

Say you'll be there entered the hot 100 at #4 breaking a record for the highest debut chart entry by a British girl group (a record still held 23 years later) peaked at #3

2 Become 1 peaked at #5. 

Spice established a record at that time for a British girl group to debut at #6 (The girls held this Record til 2012 when DNA by little Mix entered at #4, but as @Slayer can tell you, Little Mix refused to flirt and be ****** with radio programmers which caused Their US label Columbia records to abandoned them early on their career, it's no secret Columbia along with Simon has been trying to push Perrie to go solo, but she has refused. 

Spice though topped the top 200 and boasts is three US Billboard hot 100 hits and Spice girls topped the new artist of 1997, and Spice was the best selling Album of 1997. 

I'll admit the Europop album "Spiceworld" while as an album it was successful, But it wasn't radio friendly in us radio, Where Spice had a very British R&B Funk, Spiceworld was an in your face pop album.

Plus it was released 9 months After Spice was issued in February of 1997. So two album's in one year, plus all the sponsorship deals. 

The US and in a slight lessor degree in the UK, The girls were overexposed faster than any act. It wasn't until 2009 when a public poll revealed that lady Gaga was the most overexposed star that a brand new act earned that title. 

Spiceworld Still managed to produce a US Top ten single Too much, The Reggaeish, and R&B production was enough to let radio airplay take it to #9 on the hot 100. 

The girls came this close to a Fifth and final US Top ten single with Goodbye when it peaked at #11 on the hot 100. 

Two US top three albums (a great fear for a British girl group)

4 US top ten singles (another feat for the British Fab Five)

Plus 2 multi platinum Album

One platinum single

And Five gold singles.

According to the RIAA the Spice girls sold over 14 million in the US, making them the third most certified girl group of all time and the most certified British girl group in the USA. 

Plus Backstreet boys credit the Spice girls for the shift that helped establish pop music and the teen pop scene that was to come. 

Even Alanis said, if it wasn't for the spice girls, I don't think the teen pop revival would have happened that fast in the US. 

They played a huge part in the revival of teen pop, I don't think teen pop has seen a revival since the late 90s and early 00a. 

It sure as hell Wouldn't have happened without that group. Maybe around the world, but not the US. 

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived