Ciara says her #1 debut hit single "Goodies" almost went to Britney Spears

Ciara's debut single "Goodies" made her a superstar, but it almost didn't happen.

Cici revealed the track nearly went to Britney Spears. 

“When I had this record, I knew that it was a very, very special record,” Ciara said of the Lil Jon-produced track. “And I worked so hard on this record and this industry can sometimes bring you incredible challenges, hence why I love the power of having my own record label.”

When she switched labels, Ciara cooked up "Goodies."

“And when we went to Jive, I had the song ‘Goodies.’ I had to reaudition again, to be picked up and to be made a priority on the label. I did that, had a showcase, rocked it. Okay, boom, check.”

She found out later it nearly went to Britney.

“Had this record, but not knowing that behind the scenes, there was a conversation about this song being potentially taken from me and given to an artist like Britney Spears, who was on the same roster as me,” she said.

“I learned about the story later, but the crazy thing for me is that if I would’ve known about it then, I would have fought tooth and nail. It was because it’s a record that I actually was a part of creating. I was heavily involved in the writing side of it as well.”

“Goodies” topped the Billboard Hot 100 and remained there for seven weeks.

“It was just kind of surreal to see that my dream was coming true,” Ciara added.

Can you imagine Britney singing "Goodies?!"

goodies.jpg.7a91b767a82a8bb7e35d80d14325ea61.jpg

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, toxiccriminal said:

It's weird because Britney could have delivered that kind of dancing, singing style, sass, etc. at the time...but I still can't imagine Britney on the track. :ponderney:

Then again Queen is flawless and can do anything so who knows :unbothered:

Nahh she couldn’t dance like Ciara at all, but I definitely could see Britney singing this and doing it justice !

• Love 1
  • Like 4

hmmm I wonder why he/she/it hates to admit it👀

Also NOT ciara saying she would’ve put up a fight if Britney wanted that song. Baby girl you’re a D-List you would’ve lost that fight before it even started💀

Nice that it went to ciara tho, she needed it.

• Haha 6