Katy Perry's new album "Smile” drops to #54 selling 5k copies

I really, really hate to say it but I think she might have reached the end of her chart success days. I’ll support her no matter what but she has a lot of factors against her succeeding from here on out, none more so than the sexism/ ageism of the music industry meaning that she’ll be largely ignored now that she’s hitting her mid 30s. I only knew a few lucky female artists who haven’t had this treatment - Beyoncé (who, while not necessarily getting big chart hits, is still very much relevant and a big name), Madonna (at least until the MDNA era), Kylie Minogue (in the UK I think?? Definitely not past her mid 40s though sadly) and P!nk. Feel free to point out others I might have missed from recent years. I feel like Rihanna will definitely be considered “relevant” well into the future though. Britney is obviously relevant to us but musically, I’m not so sure if she is to the general public. That’s a discussion for another day though. 

On the other hand, she might pull a Madonna at some point with a big revival and new direction but... well.... Katy isn’t Madonna 😬 However I love her to pieces and as long as she’s happy, nothing else really matters. I imagine baby Daisy is her main priority now and rightly so.

• Love 3

Well The numbers are in. Industry experts and chart data predicts Folklore to stay at #1 for a fifth consecutive week, And Smile is expected to enter at #5 on the Billboard 200. Becoming Katy Perry's lowest charting album since her 2008 second studio Album "one of the boys" peaked at #9 on the Billboard 200.

I think I understand why. She released an album that literally had no demand. 

RIAA did an update. Teenage Dream us 8X Platinum. Plus all those singles saw several recerts as well.

Maybe Katy Perry reign is over. She is also turning 35 in October, so there's also that horrible ageism agenda playing against her as well as 30 became the new 40 in the music industry standards. 

And the queen was the same age when she released Glory and it performed well for how she treated the album. Yes she did promo, but I mean KatyClown promoted the HELL out of this album and in a time where more people are paying attention to what’s going on online no one was here for her. Her time is over and she got her wish of not caring about being relevant anymore :riri: and not Spice Chino Madonna’s number one stan using ageism as an excuse when ha fave is still selling number one albums at her age 

• Love 4
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1

The I don’t care about charts anymore card is just an excuse. They knew this flop was going to happen so Katy just pulled this card in our faces and pretends she’s just this edgy artist who don’t care about success. Like bich, please?! You’re the best example of a fabricated pop star but people are leaving the traditional formula of the perfect pop star behind so I expected this m\e/ss. I love Cry About It Later and Tucked, though! :akii:

• Love 1
  • Haha 3

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block