Climate of LGBT issues in 2020

Mercuryrising

Hey all

i wanted to get some insight. For some reason lately I have felt there has been a massive backlash toward the LGBT community. 

Whereas 5ish years ago I feel we were portrayed more positively and people were more leaning toward acceptance.

now this could be entirely just in my head but I am curious about your thoughts on this.

specifically in America, where do you think we stand and how accepting to you believe our country / world is currently ?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we're better than where we were 5 years ago (in America) and I think things will only get better with time, though it may not be linear. Just this year, we had the Supreme Court (which is currently a conservative-dominated court) ruling to finally make it illegal for private businesses to not hire or to fire based on being LGBTQ+. Even the BLM movement has brought some attention on the need for equality and recognition for what BIPOC have done for LGBTQ rights. We still have a lot of progress to made, especially for trans people, but things just seem so much better even just from 10 years ago for me.

In general, I think 2020 and these next few years are going to kind of start a new era in America and maybe the world. There are just so many systems failing and so many problems we've had growing in the background that are finally being exposed. I think these years will be tough, but will set new ground for a better, more equitable future, and I expect this to be carried down to LGBTQ people as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2020 at 11:37 AM, Urbanney said:

I think we're better than where we were 5 years ago (in America) and I think things will only get better with time, though it may not be linear. Just this year, we had the Supreme Court (which is currently a conservative-dominated court) ruling to finally make it illegal for private businesses to not hire or to fire based on being LGBTQ+. Even the BLM movement has brought some attention on the need for equality and recognition for what BIPOC have done for LGBTQ rights. We still have a lot of progress to made, especially for trans people, but things just seem so much better even just from 10 years ago for me.

In general, I think 2020 and these next few years are going to kind of start a new era in America and maybe the world. There are just so many systems failing and so many problems we've had growing in the background that are finally being exposed. I think these years will be tough, but will set new ground for a better, more equitable future, and I expect this to be carried down to LGBTQ people as well.

Wow.. That is really positive and I like that.  :clap:

I can see where you are coming from but when Donald Trump appointed two conservative justices to the supreme court the republican party thought they would favor anti lgbtq laws, diversity laws, anti immigration laws, etc but its actually had the opposite effect. They are proving to be unbiased in that regard. The issue is that violence towards the lgbtq community is on the rise again, but one could argue that violence as a whole is also rising. As a community we have to stay alert and be there for each other :sendinglove_kissing_heart_love_blowing:

Archived