Does the media owe Britney an apology for the VMA 2007 performance?

I was watching For the records again and in one scene after Larry told her that they were playing all of her past VMAs performances, she got nervous and asked if they played the one from the previous year which was Gimme more. I honestly feel so bad because personally, I love that performance and like Britney said you have good performances, ok performances and bad performances.

The media tore her down so fast after that. People were rushing to call her a mess, a party animal but no one wondered why she was acting that way. She went out almost every night because it made her depressed and sad to stay at home and think about the divorce. She was in a dark time but people still let her on stage and the VMAs got what they wanted: a news worthy performance. 

Now the VMAs are coming again and they are doing the countdown which they do every year and of course Britney's performances were mentioned because of how iconic and timeless they are. Gimme more vma performance seemed to go into a black hole as no one would even mention it or think of it as like the worst performance ever.

76628783.jpg

I think it is not fair for people to criticize her so much for the performance as she was not mentally and physically ready to take the stage. It was a lack luster performance yes but she was in a dark place and it didn't help that people were calling her fat, overweight and harassed her every move. The media was doing what they did best, tearing down someone as fast as putting that person on a high pedestal. 

I don't want Britney to feel ashamed of it because it was not the worst performance out there. The fact that she asked for a tape right after the performance was probably to see how it was because she had a feeling the media was going to give her a **** show for it. 

The performance became iconic and well perceived among the fans now but compared to all the criticism and name calling Britney got during that dark and lonely time, it could never make up for it.

I think the performance deserves better not some disaster people were deeming it to be. I just hate how people always think of it as the worst performance ever and lock it away like some bad thing. Let me know what you guys think! 

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was blown out of proportion. Back then the media was all "omg she's so fat", "she's a pig", would post photoshopped images of her looking obese. It was just damn harmful and out of proportion. She looked extremely good for someone who's just had two kids. You still could see her muscles. She just had a motherly figure then -- bigger hips, slightly distended stomach.

She hit every beat!? I still think her dancing was better than most post-cship performances, sorry. She still had her "sway" and "grace."

Of course it wasn't as mindblowing as 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, and even 2016, and she looked out of it and distressed, but it was a dang fine performance. 

Just now, Iconic 4 U said:

I think she is owed an apology, it was a good point she raised when she said artists have some good and bad performances, she definitely didn't deserve the amount of hate she got :kyliecry:

it hurts me when she asked Larry if they played her 2007 vma performance because the media made her feel so awful about it and i think it made her very insecure about the performance  :fakecry:

3 minutes ago, Applejack said:

It was blown out of proportion. Back then the media was all "omg she's so fat", "she's a pig", would post photoshopped images of her looking obese. It was just damn harmful and out of proportion. She looked extremely good for someone who's just had two kids. You still could see her muscles. She just had a motherly figure then -- bigger hips, slightly distended stomach.

She hit every beat!? I still think her dancing was better than most post-cship performances, sorry. She still had her "sway" and "grace."

Of course it wasn't as mindblowing as 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, and even 2016, and she looked out of it and distressed, but it was a dang fine performance. 

You spoke my mind thank you for this comment. The media criticized her so much when they know what a dark time it was in Britney's life. They gave her so much **** for her body, her lifestyle, her relationship problems. It was just one thing after another and how a human being could take that much pressure. 

I showed this to my friend and she also said it wasn't bad at all and Britney was not ''fat'' or ''overweight'' by any means!! 

2 minutes ago, Thelegendarybritney said:

You spoke my mind thank you for this comment. The media criticized her so much when they know what a dark time it was in Britney's life. They gave her so much **** for her body, her lifestyle, her relationship problems. It was just one thing after another and how a human being could take that much pressure. 

I showed this to my friend and she also said it wasn't bad at all and Britney was not ''fat'' or ''overweight'' by any means!! 

the worst to me is that most of it (if not everything) didn't even make sense. like this situation. it was just plain bullying.

I actually love this VMA performance.

Almost everyone but the fans turned their back on her after this performance. Even some "fans" were on Exhale talking about how they would drop Britney as their favourite artist and stuff after this (at least from what I've heard). :icant2:

NO ONE has received as much hate as Britney did for a bad performance (it wasn't horrible but it wasn't her best.) the media owe her an apology especially for all of the rude things they said about her.

Sarah Silverman also 100000% should apologize. The idea of mocking Britney in the first place is dumb but bringing Britney's kids into the joke? :trash:

19 minutes ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

Almost everyone but the fans turned their back on her after this performance. Even some "fans" were on Exhale talking about how they would drop Britney as their favourite artist and stuff after this (at least from what I've heard). :icant2:

NO ONE has received as much hate as Britney did for a bad performance (it wasn't horrible but it wasn't her best.) the media owe her an apology especially for all of the rude things they said about her.

Sarah Silverman also 100000% should apologize. The idea of mocking Britney in the first place is dumb but bringing Britney's kids into the joke? :trash:

Sarah Silverman really showed how unfunny and tasteless she was making that stupid joke :tina: 

Britney deserves an apology ASAP and I want to hear it from everyone who dragged her and made her feel bad and insecure!

Only in the aspect of critiquing her weight.. but other than that, no.. it wasn’t a good performance she looked a mess and put 0 effort.. I remember being excited when the rehearsal finally leaked, but she was not better there either. She lip synced the wrong thing and laughed.. like c’mon girl 

14 minutes ago, jokobish said:

Only in the aspect of critiquing her weight.. but other than that, no.. it wasn’t a good performance she looked a mess and put 0 effort.. I remember being excited when the rehearsal finally leaked, but she was not better there either. She lip synced the wrong thing and laughed.. like c’mon girl 

You can critique without being hateful. :tina:

56 minutes ago, Thelegendarybritney said:

EIgrI5cVAAEvOdX.jpg:large

People were disgusting to photoshop her body and called her fat or told her to go on weight watcher.

It's honestly so toxic and it made her feel super bad about her own body when she shouldnt have!!

It makes me sick. 
They’re so ******* lucky that she’s still here today. Else they would have that on their conscience...

19 minutes ago, jokobish said:

As a fan, i care about her more as a person not more as a performer and knowing what she went through, i am understanding what of led up to the performance and the performance itself. I agree it was not a good performance at all but was it the worst performance ever and that deserved all that hate on top the hate and the judgment she was already getting from the media at the time? :schoolingtime:

Archived