Flop Fatale: Flop Appreciation Thread

VCTR

So, Katy Perry had me thinking lately: you know, even though albums sell or are well received doesn't really mean they'll either a) become a favorite of mine b) actually be quality and might be more hype than quality c) actually be thought of in high regards later on. I mean, Bionic is sometimes thought of as Christina Aguilera's best album and that album flopped hard. But even though people have come around enough to Bionic in more recent years enough to have anniversary merch doesn't mean all flop albums get the credit they deserve. 

So, lets take a second and celebrate our favorite flops (said with love). 

I think my favorite flop is Vitamin C's second album More, which peaked at 122 on the Billboard 200. I'm probably the world's biggest Vitamin C fan and definitely BH's biggest Vitamin C fan. Which means nothing because I'm the only fan but that's neither here nor there. That being said, I HATED her first album. Hard pass on "Graduation (Friends Forever)", but after a recent re-listen, I did find "Boys Against Girls" to be an interesting and very 90s track that would fit nice next to "Groove Is In The Heart". 

I digress. To me, More is where it's at. I mean, look at this cover and it's logo:

Morevitaminc.jpg.2bd217b47a4fe36bfc488e03cfdffc85.jpg

To me, More is In The Zone before In The Zone was created; More was released in January 2001 and In The Zone was released November 2003. As a matter of fact, part of Bloodshy & Avant did production for tracks on More. More is like if Britney and Kylie had a baby, but the album was doomed to fail considering it's a hyper-****** album that was marked to kids when the trust is it should have been marked to the Gays.

So, if you wanna step into my world and try and see what I'm throwing down, imma recommend these tracks:

That Was Then, This Is Now

Spoiler

She Talks About Love

Spoiler

Real Life

Spoiler

BTW clearly baby VCTR was gay af if he was listening to this. 

Who/what are your favorite flops? Is this thread your favorite flop thread? Am I your favorite flop Exhaler?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Content Curators

Would Michelle Branch be considered a flop ? I really love her music. 

I also like Stacie Orrico. Her song (There's Gotta Be) More To Life peaked at number 30 and is Stacie's biggest hit. She only has three albums by the way.

35 minutes ago, VCTR said:

Is this thread your favorite flop thread? Am I your favorite flop Exhaler?

Yes, and cute exhalers are not flops :riri:

Oh I gave Vitamic C a chance :pieceofwhat: I promise.

I wanna be there when you touch fire

19 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Would Michelle Branch be considered a flop ?

I wouldn't call "All You Wanted" or "The Spirit Room" a flop but the rest of her career did. I remember reading about her literally crying because her label was holding her back so much and made her do things that were, well, a choice.

TBH I sorta like the song but Timberland was just not it for this, sis.

22 minutes ago, Midnight said:

I also like Stacie Orrico. Her song (There's Gotta Be) More To Life peaked at number 30 and is Stacie's biggest hit. She only has three albums by the way.

Def a flop. I remember this song all over the radio, though. I had never seen the video before and didn't know she served looks. Loved her as a fashion model.

23 minutes ago, Midnight said:

cute exhalers are not flops :riri:

61a8bfd5a44dbbf06d5ebb9b477e29d20ae5ac37

• Content Curators
4 minutes ago, VCTR said:

I wouldn't call "All You Wanted" or "The Spirit Room" a flop but the rest of her career did. I remember reading about her literally crying because her label was holding her back so much and made her do things that were, well, a choice.

TBH I sorta like the song but Timberland was just not it for this, sis.

Def a flop. I remember this song all over the radio, though. I had never seen the video before and didn't know she served looks. Loved her as a fashion model.

61a8bfd5a44dbbf06d5ebb9b477e29d20ae5ac37

What ? I had never heard this song before, you know it's not that bad, just take away Timbaland and his tired repetitive beat and it would actually be an amazing song. 

It is truly a shame that Michelle didn't continue her career, what a loss for the music world. 

I wanna be there when you touch fire

2 minutes ago, Midnight said:

What ? I had never heard this song before, you know it's not that bad, just take away Timbaland and his tired repetitive beat and it would actually be an amazing song. 

It is truly a shame that Michelle didn't continue her career, what a loss for the music world. 

Okay but listening to that song and watching that gif at the same time is magical.

Ps this my 300th post and it's just for YOU, @Midnight

cruel-intentions-introduced-us-woman-wom 

Spoiler

Pss

That's Vitamin C with the "P" on her sweater. 

"Bionic" is NOT Xtina's best album, let alone her "Blackout" omg you centennials are delusional. "Bionic" is actually a weak link in her discography. Why? Because she lost herself in it. That sound is not hers, she's copying and morphing into whoever she's collaborating with on each track. It's quite sad, actually, but every great artist has a flop album from an artistic perspective. The same happened to Madonna with "MDNA", which is a mess. The thing with "Bionic" is that Xtina and her team put a lot of money and effort into creating bops, so it's full of hard-hitting songs with lots of attitude, and an amazing overall production, but she wasn't able to make those sounds her own; she's just being a fan of the people she worked with on it. To me, even "Lotus" is more true to herself. But she went back to herself with "Liberation" (great album) so it's all good!

3 hours ago, princessmimi said:

My fave flops are:

Britney's Glory album, Dreamstreet's debut album, Breathe in. Breathe out by Hilary Duff and This is my time by Raven Symone

BIBO make me so happy! I love Matthew Koma, too, who wrote/married Hilary. All I remember about Dreamstreet is a) J Mac b) the other one who seems gay now c) they recorded and released "Sugar Rush" at the same time as the A*Teens, which is awkward. 

3 hours ago, LaLisaManoban said:

Double Dutchess! Idk how this album flopped.. it is so good (even better than The Dutchess imo).

Double Dutchess (2LP) | Fergie at Mighty Ape NZ

Not a huge Fergie fan but when I heard "Enchanted" it sold this album to me. Love that the vinyl version has a misprint of the word "back" on the back cover to let you know you're looking at the back.

44 minutes ago, bitbitboi said:

omg you centennials are delusional

This seems like the opposite of flop appreciation but the only thing I'll really say is I'm actually only 6 years younger than Britney.

Tulisa - The Female Boss. Only got to number 34 on the UK Albums Chart but it’s a pretty decent album despite the reviews it got. It didn’t have the most amazing singles run though. I thought it would have done better after Young was a hit. 

• Super Mods
4 minutes ago, VCTR said:

BIBO make me so happy! I love Matthew Koma, too, who wrote/married Hilary. All I remember about Dreamstreet is a) J Mac b) the other one who seems gay now c) they recorded and released "Sugar Rush" at the same time as the A*Teens, which is awkward. 

Not a huge Fergie fan but when I heard "Enchanted" it sold this album to me. Love that the vinyl version has a misprint of the word "back" on the back cover to let you know you're looking at the back.

This seems like the opposite of flop appreciation but the only thing I'll really say is I'm actually only 6 years younger than Britney.

Yeah it was so underrated!

And also about Dreamstreet, the main member died this year cause of the corona virus. 

His name was Chris Trousdale and he was the one with spiky hair

And also I love their version of Sugar Rush more than A*Teens, idk why I just prefer it

2 minutes ago, Isla said:

Tulisa - The Female Boss. Only got to number 34 on the UK Albums Chart but it’s a pretty decent album despite the reviews it got. It didn’t have the most amazing singles run though. I thought it would have done better after Young was a hit. 

I've never heard of this but if I only listen to one song from this album (which is highly likely), what do you recommend?

Archived