Katy Perry's new album "Smile" garners mixed reviews

Invitation

• Content Curators

reviews.jpg.e8be38cbab05d2949ad41c27a8880311.jpg

With about 3 days left till the release of "Smile", some critics have published their reviews. So far, 10 of the 13 reviews lean towards mixed, giving an average score of 56.

All 3 of them state that Katy hasn't evolved much as an artist and is making the similar sound.

It's also noted though, Teenage Dream received 1.5/5 from Slant Magazine, and Smile received 3/5.

"Cry About It Later" and "Never Really Over" seem to be the highlights of the album. "Not The End Of The World" apparently shares similar sound with "Dark Horse".

Reviews:

• EWKaty Perry brings more of the same on sunny but familiar fifth album Smile: Review
    • Score: 67

• Slant: Review: Katy Perry’s Smile Feels Unmoored from the Current Moment
    • Score: 60

• Rolling Stone
    • Score: 60

• StereoGum: Katy Perry Pivots To Boring

• Clash DRAGGED Smile

Whether releasing 'Smile' so close to the anniversary of her most-loved album is a coincidence or not, Perry could really do without the comparisons as they show just how far she’s fallen. While 'Teenage Dream' beamed with vitality, melody, and the kind of *** appeal that veered more towards wholesome cheekiness rather than outright raunchiness, Smile leans on tired cliché and outdated dance-lite production.

This is why the first half of the record is like being stuck with someone who keeps talking about their emotions but will never let you in or tell you what’s actually wrong. It’s full of the kind of generic, empty platitudes that have kept P!nk with a roof over her head for over twenty years, like The Dalai Lama recast as a suburban Wine Mom. It’s easy to pick lyrics in isolation without context, but lines like “Every tear has been a lesson” and “There’s gotta be rain if I want the rainbows” are reductive and hackneyed. You’ll get more profundity and nuanced insight into the human condition from a fortune cookie.

Musically, Perry’s refusal to adapt to the times leaves her lagging behind. Put any of the songs on Smile up against recent releases from artists like Dua Lipa or Charli XCX, and it’s like she’s from a bygone generation. Any of its tracks could happily sit on a commercial radio playlist from 2004 without raising an eyebrow and would likely fade from memory the second they’d stopped playing.

If Katy Perry found the creation of 'Smile' a rewarding and cathartic experience, then all power to her. Whilst we all have our battles at times, fighting them under the glare of the public eye can surely only make them tougher, and it’s a level of scrutiny most of us will never experience. However, taken as a standalone piece of art, 'Smile' truly isn’t worthy of your time. It’s a “Live, Laugh, Love” cushion, it’s a faux-inspirational quote over a stock image of a sunset, it makes “Do you ever feel like a plastic bag?” seem like a deep philosophical rumination on the transient nature of existence. In short, it’s no substance, and not even that much style.

• Love 1
  • Haha 2
  • Content Curators

Yikes, well after all this Katy Perry talk on exhale, I cant say I'm excited for the release of this album but, I will check it out. 

As far as the reviews, the only one's I'm interested in reading will be from other exhalers :katyclown: 

• Love 4
  • Haha 4
  • Like 1

I wanna be there when you touch fire

• Content Curators
28 minutes ago, GMFlop said:

Those who reviewed this album must be Britney's fans who still couldn't let that incident let go. 

Katy Perry's "One Of The Boys" and "Teenage Dream" were her worst reviewed work even though pop fans responded positively, so I don't think Katy has been a critics' darling. I do think Smile doesn't contain any track that would be a highlight among Katy's discography though, based on the snippets she's played.

• Love 2
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, Invitation said:

Katy Perry's "One Of The Boys" and "Teenage Dream" were her worst reviewed work even though pop fans responded positively, so I don't think Katy has been a critics' darling. I do think Smile doesn't contain any track that would be a highlight among Katy's discography though, based on the snippets she's played.

This was pretty common for the pop industry back then. Female pop artists seem to consistently get low ratings from critics. Or critics would rate the album based on rumors of the artist’s personal life, rather than the album (Lana Del Rey’s Born to Die). It seems critics have changed though since culture started getting “woke” and are actually being more objective like they should.

Although, a lot of music from that time period does sound cheesy, overproduced, and shallow, so maybe music is just objectively better now and the critics were unbiased all along ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Urbanney said:

This was pretty common for the pop industry back then. Female pop artists seem to consistently get low ratings from critics. Or critics would rate the album based on rumors of the artist’s personal life, rather than the album (Lana Del Rey’s Born to Die). It seems critics have changed though since culture started getting “woke” and are actually being more objective like they should.

This. I was shocked when i found out Stripped, one of the very best albums released of that decade which tackled issues such as sexism and racism, only recieved a 58% metacritic score. I was straight up ":umomg:". If a man were to release a album like Stripped, watch it get 78%+. It is itself, that the critics judge female albums because of their personal life and struggles otherwise Britneys album like ITZ and Blackout would have had much higher scores then they do right now.

• Love 4

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block