What are your expectations about Miley, Demi, Selena and Ariana and the reality of their careers now versus when they first started?

Well, I wanted to talk about the expectations you had with ex-acts Miley, Demi, Selena and Ariana about the reality of their careers. 

:miley: When it started, I always hoped it would go crazy and end in crisis. I started to get hooked on "Can't Be Tamed," but it was one of my favorites with Bangerz.

I was amazed at how well she handled the insanity, and had high expectations for her career ... yet I was disappointed.

In spite of everything, I am glad that she has creative control of her music, because she is so talented.

:demi: I always hoped that she would have a career like Xtina's, however she exceeded my expectations because she has a vast musical catalog and has been around longer than I thought.

:selenerz:I always felt like Selena used the same Britney formula to release albums

1999 BOMT - 2009 Kiss & Tell
2000 oidia - 2010 aywr
2001 BRITNEY- 2011 wtsgd
2003 itz - 2013 dance of stars
2004 gh - 2014 gh

And the 4-year hiatus without releasing an album :selena: 

After Revival came out and with the news of a new album in 2017, I was shocked at how big it was getting ... and even though its popularity has dropped I'm impressed by how well it has held up (only disappointed by its weak performance Live :imacat:)

:arianabye: Since I heard yours truly I really knew that it would be much more than the previous 3 named ... and I was not wrong. Expectations more than exceeded. :ari:

Opinions?demi-ari.jpg.4c484e35db3335de1cec729fd4fb3c4f.jpg

• Love 1
  • Like 1
  • Thought Miley would last longer, tbh. But crazy gimmicks and antics can only take you so far, I guess.
  • Always knew Demi would forever remain in Selena's shadow. She's what Christina was to Britney.
  • Never had any expectations for Ariana because I never watched Nickelodeon shows (Disney Channel was superior). Though, once she did blow up with "The Way" (and "Problem" later on), I definitely didn't expect her to become even bigger than that, but she did.
  • As for Selena, idk, she's been very consistent over the years. She was like the other Disney golden girl (next to Miley), so it was no surprise that she ended up being a major success.

:typing:

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

that how can she be consider an ex act, when she's still a very successful act, allegedly one of the most successful of the past few years, like when has her success ever stopped?

or am I misunderstanding the meaning of "ex-act"? lol

I call them ex-act because they started out as actresses rather than singers, specifically from children's channels.

1 hour ago, PokemonSpears said:

I didn't know Ariana was already considered an "ex act" :idkney:

Wasn't she like the biggest **** in the industry like 5 minutes ago?

Ariana has been among the main pop girls since 2014 :ari:

Miley Cyrus: Did a 180 and has done things I never saw coming but at the same time it was kind of predictable. I honestly thought she'd have a lot more hits under her belt and more hit movies. She can still do that because she's young. I think the last two albums were growing pains for her and her upcoming project will capture everything and make sense of it all. :pumped:

Selena Gomez: I didn't see her having a long lasting career in music and thought she would act more. I do think her time in music is wrapping up and I blame her AMA performance. Most people talk about how bad she sings live and her recent single haven't taken off. Lose you to love me could have re jumped start her music career but...:squintney:

Ariana: It didn't make sense to me that she hadn't hit number one and just keep getting top tens. I was honestly waiting for her to explode and get to where she's at now. Now that all is right in the world I can sit down and watch the Queen begin her reign :tbh:

Demetria: I was rooting for her so hard at the beginning :howdareyou: but after numerous let downs and recycling repeats its just like...c'mon :hillary: IDK I feel like she should focus on leaving Hollywood. I think the environment is toxic for her :tired: and for those of you saying she is the X-Tina of the 2010's YOU ARE WRONG. Christina reached a higher form of stardom than Demi. Christina has GRAMMYS, #1 hits, #1 albums. Demi has a few top tens :makeup: TBH Demi reminds me of Lindsay Lohan. She's struggling to stay relevant and fighting to keep her spotlight.

• Love 2
  • Like 3

Ariana and Miley have gone Higher in their career than I’ve expected, I actually like their music and It’s great seeing them have  multiple number ones and hit records. I personally thought Demi would’ve been the biggest star out of all of them because of her big voice and at some point everybody loved Demi especially during Skyscraper/Unbroken era! Selena’s career has gone farther and idk how it keeps going, she can’t sing, terrible live, she can’t dance (I saw her live so I have this OPINION... @ me if you want to dance aka talk about it and we will probably dance better than Selena) The music is meh, julia michaels writes everything and probably layers her voice to make Selena’s stronger!

My favorite Selena joke is she’s always whispering her loudest to a turn off microphone! 

tenor.gif?itemid=7203364

• Haha 1

Miley to me is more versatile and has had success across more than on domain. If we talk purely music, then I’d give it to Ariana, not because of the recency bias but because she more hits than all the rest.

Selena and Demi I cant comment on because I really do not relate to their music or whatever they are about. 

I think Miley's peak was bigger than Ariana's peak. Miley's shedding of her Disney image, getting the pixie cut and putting out Bangerz and all her antics etc was HUGE. 

I like Miley's voice and hope she does still put out albums. I think that will be a way for her to establish herself as a longterm artist with a lot of artistic and vocal talent. I know Younger Now wasn't super big but so what? I feel like she kind of played that era to be understated and low-key anyway?

Ariana's TU,N era was big but not as notorious as Miley's. It'll be interesting to see if she can keep up with her own success. I just don't see her as having as much personality/substance as Miley. I'm already kind of sick of her tbh....:truthtea:

I thought Selena would explode with her album this year but I feel like it didn't have much momentum. She isn't much of a performer though - even the 'look at her now' music video choreo was kinda cringe. PS. Vulnerable should've been a single. 

Not much to say about Demi that hasn't already been said. :demi:

PPS. not sure if anyone would agree, but I don't even think about Miley, Ariana or Demi as Disney stars. I feel like they have fully distanced themselves from their kiddie bop beginnings. On the contrary, I feel like Selena is still kinda kiddie bop to me. I am not sure if it's her look or what but I still consider Selena Gomez as having a fan base of children and still pandering to a young crowd. 

Miley and Demi are my favs.
Demi's music has been consistent and tours her *** off. I do worry about her relapse/mental health. Confident has prob been my fav album. Her ballads never get the recognition they deserve. "Fix a Heart", "Stone Cold", & "Lionheart" are some of my favs.I think she could grow to be in a lane similar to kelly clarkson/P!nk. Could host a show, do more charitable gigs.

Miley's last EP was epic! Really wished she made more videos from it. Seems like shes about to embark on another great era.

Ariana is basically the next Beyonce/Mariah(prob more like Mariah)

I never really cared for Selena. Besides a few Revival songs, i find her music hard to listen to.. especially that "lose you to love me" and "rare" crap.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

that how can she be consider an ex act, when she's still a very successful act, allegedly one of the most successful of the past few years, like when has her success ever stopped?

or am I misunderstanding the meaning of "ex-act"? lol

No like, ex-act as in use to act in Disney or Nickelodeon. Success doesn’t play a factor of being called an ex-act

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block