Will K-pop die quickly due to overexposure?

This is more of a debate...than a personal opinion.

Ever since 2015, K-pop has been experiencing a massive wave of success, which wouldn’t reach its peak until 2018. The k-pop phenomena would just be pushed furthermore by the biggest boy-band right now, BTS who, had the second-best selling album of 2019. So due to all of this massive spotlight, the K-pop landscape has been at its highest since never! So most of the K-pop stans believe that K-pop will stay in the mainstream light, for a VERY long time!
However, this has brought me to the thought...because of the amount of success k-pop has been having, it is basically EVERYWHERE.  If you click videos like these, you can see its K-pop that’s dominating 75% of the spots:

So in the negative light, we can say that K-pop at this point is SEVERELY over-exposed. Not to mention, the incredibly toxic fans, the genre holds, who stuff k-pop music up your throats. So with all of that happening, people would lose interest, to check out the genre, thus, losing future audience.

So will K-pops overexposure be the genres main enemy, cutting down the years for how long it will be popular? Will K-pop dominate for a further 3-5 years, or can it extend furthermore?
lemme know :sendinglove:kpop.jpg.39d153c898518ae24fa090223672981f.jpg

• Super Mods

Not really. K-pop has been on a steady rise ever since 2009 actually. That was the year when first groups to start attracting world audience appeared. (Wondergirls, 2ne1, snsd etc.) It's only in 2015 that it finally exploded into the mainstream media.

Besides, out of all the kpop groups, only 2 are worldwide famous; Blackpink and BTS. But there are so many groups that are just as good but not as famous outside of kpop fanbase; Itzy, G-IDLE etc.

Kpop is actually only at its beginning rn.

• Love 2
  • Like 4

Most of those "views" are just a bunch of K-pop fans who stream the music videos thousands of times.

The general public doesn't care about K-pop, as much as K-pop stans want you to believe. Nobody in the general public cares about BTS or Blackpink and those are just the most popular. 

It makes me laugh when people say the Grammy's used BTS for views LMAO. They weren't even supposed to be there. Be god-damn grateful they performed with Lil Nas X otherwise they wouldn't have at all. 

• Love 6

I think that's a very narow minded way to see it, you probably didn't mean it like that but it sounds like you're saying that k-pop only became a thing when it turned mainstream in the west and it will die down when people from the west forget about it. At the end of the day, music is music, whether it comes from one country or the other, and our world is becoming more and more globalised so I don't think this trend will stop anytime soon. Besides, even if it stopped being relevant in Europe or the US it would never stop being popular in Asia. I don't wanna turn this into a cultural dissertation but I hope I made sense because I'm the worst at explaining myself :cheese:

• Love 3
  • Like 1

Somewhere in a company building practice room a bunch of children are training to be the next BTS or Blackpink, or like the Girl's Generation or BIG BANG before them, OR like the Wonder Girls, TVXQ, BoA, ect ect. like you name it. My point is that I don't think the popularity of kpop worldwide is going to fade anytime soon. It may seem like the meteoric rise of kpop is fairly recent, but the truth is American mainstream media in particular has been a rather late guest to a party that's been going on for at least 20 years now. 

All trends have an expiration date though, it'll just mean like, less billboard articles once the novelty wears off. 

• Love 1
  • Like 2
On 8/15/2020 at 12:06 PM, VanillaCandlez said:

For me KPop died when Korean netizens cancelled Bom over some friggin adderall leading to the eventual disbandment of 2NE1 and their replacement with soulless Black Pink :receipts2:

I also believed that they were missing something, although their videos were incredible, and now that I am watching their diary, or the "24/365" segment, I am becoming much more attached to the girls, and I watch those videos with a smile all the time. You should give them a chance. They are cute and funny! :gagasmile:

• Love 1
  • Like 1
47 minutes ago, Silhouette said:

Besides, even if it stopped being relevant in Europe or the US it would never stop being popular in Asia. I don't wanna turn this into a cultural dissertation but I hope I made sense because I'm the worst at explaining myself :cheese:

I agree, I mean, in the first video of this thread there are so many videos from India and South Asia, which has surprised me 'cause I've never seen any of them, not even the one that is in the n°2 spot. 
They are not mainstream, but it doesn't mean that they will be no longer popular in their territory because of it. I think the only thing that differentiates them from K-pop is that they haven't managed to incorporate themselves in other parts of the globe, or maybe they don't intend to do so either.

I have to admit that beyond BP, 2NE1 and BIG BANG I don't hear other k-pop songs, even though I'm aware there are TONS of K-pop groups, like... WAY TOO MANY tbh... :bieber:

This can be applied to Latin American songs, which in the second video occupy 85% of it basically, and I think they managed to get into other countries even more than K-Pop.

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block