This Day in Pop: Britney releases Lucky single in 2000 (August 8)

luckyy.jpg.a4ee0adad4efe8256041ec164309e7b6.jpgThis is a story about a girl named Lucky:

11+%C2%B7+Lucky+(CD+Single)+copy.png

On August 8, 2000, Lucky was released as the second single of Britney's second studio album, Oops!... I Did It Again.

The song was written by Max Martin, Rami Yacoub and Alexander Kronlund, and it was produced by Martin and Yacoub. The song tells a story about a famous movie star named Lucky, who despite seemingly having it all, is truly lonely and unhappy on the inside. It was praised by music critics who considered its melody and rhythm as sweet and catchy, and noted the lyrics to be about Spears herself.

Lucky achieved commercial success worldwide, peaking at number 1 in Austria, Germany, Sweden and Switzerland, while reaching the top 10 in several European countries. In the United Kingdom, the song peaked at number 5, and is Spears' tenth best-selling single in the country, having sold over 225,000 copies there. It also peaked at number 23 on the Billboard Hot 100 in the United States.

Britney shared on her Instagram stories:

luckig.png

As there is a huge drought of new material since Britney's on hiatus, some fan accounts started a hastag "#20YearsOfLucky" on Twitter and asking fans to buy the song.

https://twitter.com/BritneyHiatus/status/1292143550906261504

On July 13, we celebrated the anniversary of the music video:

• Love 6
  • Like 1

Yes! Let's give more money to the Britney Spears business in the middle of the Free Britney movement :wigsnatched:

No but seriously, I don't get why they care so much about an iTunes position, Lucky reached a peak that was pretty good on the Billboard Hot 100, the Twitter fans obsession with charts is honestly weird.

Anyways, love this song so much, helped me with a lot and it's so beautiful :wontcry:

• Love 2
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

Yes! Let's give more money to the Britney Spears business in the middle of the Free Britney movement :wigsnatched:

No but seriously, I don't get why they care so much about an iTunes position, Lucky reached a peak that was pretty good on the Billboard Hot 100, the Twitter fans obsession with charts is honestly weird.

Anyways, love this song so much, helped me with a lot and it's so beautiful :wontcry:

I personally feel there's nothing wrong with celebrating nostalgia. Also, Lucky was released before the conservatorship so can we leave this out of here? People are still buying her perfumes and vinyls so this one song of 1.29$ won't make a big deal ;) 

• Love 2
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, IForgotYouExisted said:

I personally feel there's nothing wrong with celebrating nostalgia. Also, Lucky was released before the conservatorship so can we leave this out of here? People are still buying her perfumes and vinyls so this one song of 1.29$ won't make a big deal ;) 

I agree with that sure $1.29 isn't going to do much but when people are buying 10 copies of Lucky per minute... :queenflopga:

These twitter stans don't play when it comes to getting Britney to #1 on iTunes. I personally don't find it appropriate because the song is about a star being unhappy with her life and everything going on right now with Britney just makes it seem well....

7 minutes ago, YannFrance said:

i'm still not buying it, let's all boycott Britney brand until she's set free.

I see but as I said earlier; her fragrances are the biggest income as of now so boycotting her music would make no difference as long as they keep releasing new fragrances and they keep selling. They just released a new Fantasy edition and there's a new Prerogative fragrance on the way too. So ...

• Love 1