Is stanning bad for your mental health?

• Content Curators

Yeah I agree, for me there was a point when I said to myself, I am only here for the music and nothing else. I don't care about people's private life's I am not interested in how much success they have or how much money they make, who there married to or nothing about them.  I only care about the work they put out.

• Love 5
  • Like 1

I wanna be there when you touch fire

Well, fanaticism in general is a form of obsession :yaknow:

The devotion to someone or something isn't critical, objective, and usually there's little to no tolerance to any criticism someone else can make of the subject of the fanaticism. They like and consume everything about it (that's why if you don't like a certain Britney album or "don't recognize it" as hers, then you're just a casual listener :demi: a true fanatic would like and accept everything from their idol ).

Now stan is used very loosely nowadays, but it originally comes from that Eminem song and THAT was a true extreme case of fanaticism, which obviously involves several mental conditions.  

• Love 6
32 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

Well, fanaticism in general is a form of obsession :yaknow:

The devotion to someone or something isn't critical, objective, and usually there's little to no tolerance to any criticism someone else can make of the subject of the fanaticism. They like and consume everything about it (that's why if you don't like a certain Britney album or "don't recognize it" as hers, then you're just a casual listener :demi: a true fanatic would like and accept everything from their idol ).

Now stan is used very loosely nowadays, but it originally comes from that Eminem song and THAT was a true extreme case of fanaticism, which obviously involves several mental conditions.  

Ok so I’m not fan but a casual listener then as I don’t like Glory and this era with its awful music videos. Well to be honnest, there are many things that I don’t mike and don’t consider that Britney did it, so we can consider me as someone who appreciates Britney and her creations, right?

I think I’m more someone who appreciates Britney and her creations than a fan of her.

8 minutes ago, MSTAR said:

Ok so I’m not fan but a casual listener then as I don’t like Glory and this era with its awful music videos. Well to be honnest, there are many things that I don’t mike and don’t consider that Britney did it, so we can consider me as someone who appreciates Britney and her creations, right?

I think I’m more someone who appreciates Britney and her creations than a fan of her.

I mean, I think that in the latest years, fan has become a term for the casual listener, or just liking anything, being a celebrity, a franchise, etc. and stan has become the term for the most extreme type of fanatic, and even so, it's rarely used to describe someone who actually needs like, psychological help.

But being a fanatic in the true meaning of the world, also applies for those religious fanatics, or for politics, or any kind of idea or sports or activity etc.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

I mean, I think that in the latest years, fan has become a term for the casual listener, or just liking anything, being a celebrity, a franchise, etc. and stan has become the term for the most extreme type of fanatic, and even so, it's rarely used to describe someone who actually needs like, psychological help.

But being a fanatic in the true meaning of the world, also applies for those religious fanatics, or for politics, or any kind of idea or sports or activity etc.

Yeah I understand completly, the words are always evolving. But yeah what I meant on my reply, was that if we see the real meaning of the word "fan", that doesn’t fits me. I’m not a real fan of Britney, just someone who really appreciates and like her songs, creativity, and how she is sweet, because I’m realizing that I’m not a fanatic, I don’t agree with many facts on her actions/songs/music videos so yeah, I’m just someone who appreciates her.  :yesokay: 

• Like 1

I don't think being a stan is an actual mental illness but it can be the symptom of something else.

Like you have a certain mental condition and being a stan is a way for this mental condition to express itself.

Don't know if what I want to say is clear ? 

Like some people can't help themselves pushing the light switch 50 times before leaving it on or off, but it's not the "light switch illness" it's a symptom of something else: the actual mental illness, the light switch is just a way for it. 

• Like 3
54 minutes ago, Cheshire-B said:

Like some people can't help themselves pushing the light switch 50 times before leaving it on or off, but it's not the "light switch illness" it's a symptom of something else: the actual mental illness, the light switch is just a way for it. 

You mean obsessive compulsive disorder?

And I see what your saying. Stan culture is really just young people that have no other interests and they rest their happiness on others, not just celebrities. This is a mentality that probably goes through their whole lives with everything they do.

At some point in their lives they will grow up and be too busy to stan anyone, when you have a job, bills, hobbies and interests, do you really have time to obsess over someone?  No grown human has the effort or the time to do that, when they do, there is your mental issue.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, A.a.A said:

You mean obsessive compulsive disorder?

And I see what your saying. Stan culture is really just young people that have no other interests and they rest their happiness on others, not just celebrities. This is a mentality that probably goes through their whole lives with everything they do.

At some point in their lives they will grow up and be too busy to stan anyone, when you have a job, bills, hobbies and interests, do you really have time to obsess over someone?  No grown human has the effort or the time to do that, when they do, there is your mental issue.

No I don't mean that being a stan is related to obessive compulsive disorder, it's just an exemple I choose to explain my point from a different point of view. 

But from what you say "young people that have no other interests", it could be that but having no other interests is kind of worrying in some ways. It doesn't mean they're mentally ill, but that something in their life is happening. As you said it's really a problem if this "stan" thing stick up through adulthood. 

I think the level of "stanning" and the fact that it should be worrying or not really depends on the stan himself/herself and his/her story. 

• Leader

@NotLouTaylor I changed the topic title from "Is stanning a mental illness" to "Is stanning bad for your mental health?" 

Let me know if you are ok with that or if you insist on it being the original title. I changed it because I felt like "mental illness" was used in a way to make it seem like a bad thing. I don't want people who struggle with their mental health to feel down by reading this topic. I actually think this is a great question (hence why I decided to feature it on the homepage).

My initial reaction is... no, stanning someone doesn't necessarily impede your mental health. All things, including famous pop stars, are neutral by nature. It's up to the individual to assign emotion and meaning to this person. That's why you can have two stans who hardcore LOVE the same person, yet one is toxic and one genuinely means well. 

So you can have someone championing the #FreeBritney movement, but doing so in a way that's actually detrimental to the movement and ultimately hurts fans, Britney, her team and family, everyone involved (even themselves). Then you can have others who also believe in the same movement and what it stands for, but do so what rational thinking, reflection and understanding. 

• Love 2
  • Like 2

I dont agree, because I never did it on purpose, like the op states

I never chose to stan for someone, it happened just like falling in love

and mine came from childhood so yes, I indeed do feel a connection to Britney and the spice girls for example

I feel like I literally grew up with them, its a role model and to a certain degree I think its healthy

I want to see Britney thrive, whenever shes feeling good and happy I get happy, for me its simple as that

like a cousin or a childhood friend

there are of course exceptions, I did stan other artists when I was growing up that I dont care about anymore because we grew apart in a sense

But Britney introduced me to who I am, and so did the spice girls. Today I am a proud feminist and catch myself saying things I learnt from them without knowing from a young age, the message stayed with me

• Love 1

You hit the nail on the head when you said “extension of self”. Why else do people get so caught up in their fave going number 1 and taking the time to like stream their albums on loop while doing other things or buying multiple copies of the same album (but not too many to not count on billboard!!)  it’s like their own identity is tied into the successes or failures of their fave in the eyes of the public. Toxic

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block