Question? Do Popstars ever have more than 2-3 ICONIC records?

dr35

janet.jpg

Another post I was just reading asked a great question... whether or not 'Chromatica' would age badly? It REALLY got me thinking. A lot of artists have the gift of talent, and release tons of incredible albums throughout their careers, but I'm starting to wonder... Do popstars (specifically) ever release more than 2-3 that become iconic?

I mean the reality is fanbases will state every album is iconic, but I'm looking at the fact that the general public eventually loses interest. It doesn't mean albums stop being good, or new albums released aren't good as well, but I feel most artists are lucky to have 2-3 solid albums, before ultimately it's 'Greatest Hits' style nostalgia only from that artist.... 

Look at Janet Jackson.... 'Control', 'Rhythm Nation', 'Janet' and 'Velvet Rope' were all iconic... yet Janet's released 4 albums since the latter, and none have had the impact. Madonna had 'Like a Prayer' and 'Like a Virigin in the 80's, 'Ray of Light' in the 90's, 'Confessions on a Dance Floor' in the 00's that gave her a resurgence, but the other albums all just sort of fade into each other? You could argue the same for Britney now, and Christina Aguilera after 'Stripped' and 'Back to Basics', Lady Gaga after 'The Fame' and 'Born this Way'... Katy Perry after 'Teenage Dream' and 'Prism'.... 

thoughts? 

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s an interesting discussion actually! Great post :clap1: But if we move aside our stanning spirit, and think about the TRULY iconic eras, it changes into something else :yaknow: So if we count it....

For Female Popstars:

• Janet Jackson- 4 iconic eras: Control, Rhythm National 1984, Janet, Velvet Rope 
  • Madonna- 5 iconic eras: Like a virgin, True blue, Like a prayer, Ray of light, Confessions on the dance floor
  • Britney Spears- 6 iconic eras: Baby one more time, Oops I did it again, Britney, In the zone, Blackout, Circus
  • Beyoncé- 4 iconic eras: Dangerously in love, I am...Sasha fierce, Beyoncé, Lemonade
  • Lady Gaga- 4 iconic eras: The Fame/Fame monster, Born this way, Artpop , A Star is born
  • Ariana Grande- 3 iconic era: My everything, Dangerous woman, Thank u, next
  • Christina Aguilera- 4 iconic eras: Christina Aguilera, Stripped, Back to basics, Bionic
  • Katy Perry- 3 iconic eras: Like the boys, Teenage Dream, Prism
  • Taylor Swift- 3 iconic eras: Fearless, 1989, Reputation 
  • Mariah Carey- 5 iconic eras: Mariah Carey, Music box, Merry Christmas, Day dream, Emancipation of Mimi 
  • Rihanna- 5 iconic eras: Good girl gone bad, Rated r, Loud, Unapologetic, ANTI 
  • Donna summer- 3 iconic eras: Bad girls, She works hard for the money, Another place and time

Whereas, for the male popstars: 

• Michael Jackson- 4 iconic eras: Off the wall, Thriller, Bad, Dangerous
  • Ed Sheeran- 3 iconic eras: Plus, Minus, Divide
  • Bruno Mars- 3 iconic eras, Doo-woops & hooligans, Unorthodox jukebox, 24k magic
  • Prince: 2 iconic eras: 1999, Purple rain
  • George faith: 1 iconic era: Faith
  • Justin Bieber: 3 iconic eras: My World 2.0, Believe, Purpose
  • Justin Timberlake: 3 iconic eras: Justified, Futurelove sounds, 20/20 experience (2 of 2 included)
  • Usher: 1 iconic era: Confessions

Now if we are to compare...

Most Iconic Eras:-

• Female Popstars- 6 eras (Britney Spears)
  • Male Popstars- 4 eras (Michael Jackson)

Least Iconic Eras:-

• Male Popstars- 1 era (Usher, George Faith)
  • Female Popstars- 3 era (Ariana Grande, Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, Donna Summer)

So my conclusion would be that, Male Popstars have lesser iconic eras, thus fitting with yr “2-3” iconic eras narrative, whereas the female Popstars have more iconic eras going beyond your “2-3” iconic eras narrative :tired:  

So then the verdict is 50/50 :oprah: 

Archived