Ashlee Simpson’s discography: appreciation thread

What up, Exhale

I put my liked songs in Spotify on shuffle and one of the Ashlee songs came up (L.O.V.E., namely). Then, I went in a listening party. Many memories were brought and then I thought how much she is not appreciated. After the SNL lip syncing incident, her career suffered and she never truly recovered. However, her brief discography is quite enjoyable and she very well embodied what pop/rock was like. 

Autobiography (2004), her debut album gave her hits like the soaring ‘Pieces of Me’; the sassy ‘La La’, and her reality show opening song ‘Autobiography’ (baby just ask meee). And then, the deep cuts: ‘Love Me For Me’, punk vibes and husky vocals, ‘Better Off’, a carefree tune about being so happy with yourself and with your significant other. 

I Am Me (2005), her sophomore record, was seen as a decline by many. In my opinion, it is her best. The unapologetic lead single ‘Boyfriend’ had delicious guitar chords and is low-key a h03 anthem (lol). L.O.V.E. had all the elements to become a big hit, and it was even remixed by Missy Elliott, but it didn’t really break. As for the deep cuts, ‘Burning Up’ showed us a **** Ashlee, ‘In Another Life’ reminded us of the cute style of her first album but harnessed with edgy guitars, ‘Catch me When I Fall’, a piano ballad, performed live in SNL, and while she is not an A-list songstress, she can do decently live. Above all, this album gave us my favorite Ashlee song, ‘Coming Back For More’, a driven tune about, you know, it’s so good you can’t quit it. 

Finally, her last studio album, ‘Bittersweet World’, displayed a sonic evolution that should have made her big, but it didn’t. 
The lead single ‘Outta My Head’ was a legitimate earbug. ‘Little Miss Obsessive’, the second single, had its little debut in the Hot 100, but all promo was cancelled and the song didn’t get the success it deserved. As for other songs, ‘Rule Breaker’ and the funky ‘Boys’ were obvious single choices. 
She has put out music with her husband, but I haven’t really dived into it. 

What do you guys think? Should she really put effort on making a come back? 

ashlee.jpg.ee356fcdf6afed711fb985450d075edb.jpg

• Love 7
  • Like 2
50 minutes ago, EarlyMornin' said:

Bittersweet World is a fantastic pop album. Definitely the little sister to Blackout.

Her voice can sound a little...constipated sometimes :yesokay:

HOWEVER the album is stellar, and I will stan! :unbothered:

Yet I think that was the signature in her voice. 

25 minutes ago, Alestaos said:

She had some bangers, but will forever be overshadowed by Jessica!

She should go meet up with Jamie Lynn and they can talk about how they feel so irrelevant without their big sisters :crying3:

I somehow managed to separate them, and at least here in Latin America, Ashlee was more popular than Jessica I think. 

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, Adriannn said:

I somehow managed to separate them, and at least here in Latin America, Ashlee was more popular than Jessica I think. 

Where i live and lived in Europe whenever Ashlee came on she would be classified as "Jessica's younger sister". For awhile Ashlee was more popular but then Jessica's TV show showed how much of a magnetic person she was, that Ashlee just couldn't compete.

Ashlee's incident on the TV with the lip-sync and that dance just ruined any other chances tbh.

About Jamie Lynn well she was never successful and Zoey 101 she only got cause she was Britneys younger sister :holduplisten:

• Like 1

I’m glad someone posted this cause I have some Ashlee Simpson Autobiography tour posters if anyone is interested. I also have a Bittersweet World era Wet Seal promo poster that’s literally the size of my bed.  It’s vinyl and I’m not even sure how I’d ship it. I have WAY too many posters. 

but Bittersweet World is one of my all times fav. #NoTimeForTears #TheOriginalGlitch

• Love 2
  • Haha 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block