Late 2000s-Early 2010s was a golden era in pop music + culture

1 minute ago, Style. said:

I agree with you. I had such a beautiful growing up. :crying1:

Today it’s so full of little rappers who barely can rap, are doing crappy music videos with zero impact in the culture. We can 100% say that they have zero stage presence and cannot perform outside of tiktok. So yeah, I feel you. 

I remember listening to these nonstop :crying1:

Dancing to Pound the Alarm on Just Dance :duadance:

Crying to Diamonds and The One That Got Away :tiffanycries:

Singing Womanizer around the house eK5O3tV.gif

Scarring my parents when I sang, “I wanna take a ride on your disco stick huh” :gloriascary:

• Haha 4
4 minutes ago, Towelney said:

I remember listening to these nonstop :crying1:

Dancing to Pound the Alarm on Just Dance :duadance:

Crying to Diamonds and The One That Got Away :tiffanycries:

Singing Womanizer around the house eK5O3tV.gif

Scarring my parents when I sang, “I wanna take a ride on your disco stick huh” :gloriascary:

Yeah, it was a peak in music. I miss it so much. Today’s pop scene is so basic and everything’s about a cheap *** no #1 song. :holduplisten:

• Love 1

The late 2000s and early 2010s will always have a special place in my heart. It was my adolescence after all but also keep in mind that era of music had a lot of disposable trash. I know nostalgia can sometimes make it feel like everything was better then and I definitely do think to a certain extent, society was far more innocent and simple. Music/pop culture was also definitely more up-beat, abstract and vibrant during that period. Keep in mind, social media was also still in its primitive state and wasn't overruling the world the way it did post-2014/15. Point is, I could definitely tell by 2015 that there was this seismic and transitional shift in our culture and music - for better or for worse. We also began to see a surge in social movements and the impact that it had on the industry as a whole. It's probably another reason why minimalism is so huge these days compared to ten or even twenty years ago. Regardless, that era will always remain very special to me and as Lana Del Rey said, the culture was lit and we had a ball. :mcry:

• Love 5

Honestly, i guess it was entertaining but musically it was one of the worst period in mainstream music. This is when things started to get crappy. We had almost no diversity sonically. Everyone was either working with RedOne, Dr Luke, Will.i.a.m, David Guetta or Stargate, it all sounded the same. The same overused club banger gimmicks, with the colorful wigs and stuff.  It sure was fun tho and pop music kinda had an euphoric feel back then but i can't listen to any of those songs anymore, it didn't age well. It was so "in your face" and sounded compressed to death. Loudness war in a nutshell. There's plenty of great music in 2020, and people who are complaining about it probably aren't making any efforts to explore and expand their music horizons. There are other genres than pop. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Style. said:

Today’s pop scene is so basic and everything’s about a cheap *** no #1 song. :holduplisten:

Can we all now just ignore the charts at this point? We knew some **** was up when in the last minute, Billboard suddenly allows sales from a album being sold only in Walmart, which blocked Blackout from going No.1 and know everyone knows about Billboards messy methods. The only charts that matter from billboard is Album charts (to an extent).

Otherwise, the pop scene for 2020 has been really good! Once corona is over, and the economy flourishes again, pop culture would kick back at strong force, trust me.

2 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

Can we all now just ignore the charts at this point? We knew some **** was up when in the last minute, Billboard suddenly allows sales from a album being sold only in Walmart, which blocked Blackout from going No.1 and know everyone knows about Billboards messy methods. The only charts that matter from billboard is Album charts (to an extent).

Otherwise, the pop scene for 2020 has been really good! Once corona is over, and the economy flourishes again, pop culture would kick back at strong force, trust me.

Every chart from Billboard matters. Don’t be naive. Everyone fights for the #1‘s. Most of the time awards are given by how impactful the song or the album was doing on the charts. I don’t have a problem with the music, but it’s just too much rap in today’s music landscape and so much mediocrity. Pop stars are fading. Epic music videos are fading. Choreography died the moment when Britney broke her leg and I’m not even joking. 

Just don’t bring me up Dua Lipa as an example of a pop star or Billie Eilish or Doja Cat. They are fine, but they will never can serve the whole package. Ne-ever! 

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block