Alanis Morissette "Such Pretty Forks in the Road" - Comment + Stream

r960_blur-3ae8d8db251c2eb249747d7987a5a307.thumb.jpg.63d3e6c8b9dd0a5f47a4dc7ea6630a0a.jpg

Originally scheduled to be released back in May, this Friday (July 31st) marks the release of Alanis Morissette's ninth studio album, "Such Pretty Forks in the Road,” through Epiphany Music and Thirty Tigers in North America, and by RCA and Sony Music in the United Kingdom and Europe.

It's been eight years since her last studio effort, in which time Alanis has been raising a family, hosting her own podcast series “Conversation with Alanis Morissette," adapting her 5x Grammy-winning breakthrough album, "Jagged Little Pill" into a broadway musical and, for the last three years, juggling all of that with writing and recording this album.

Alanis-Morissette2_Shelby-Duncan_.thumb.jpg.1f84eddfac8f75f9a1ea29a99236390b.jpg

Never afraid to tackle delicate or unsettling subject matter in her music, "Such Pretty Forks in the Road" is both raw and haunting at times. The album is a brutally honest exploration of addiction, anxiety, betrayal, insomnia, motherhood and postpartum depression all weaved together like pieces of a home-stitched tapestry.

Alanis worked with just two producers on this album, Alex Hope and Catherine Marks, which has resulted in a very coherent collection of 11 songs that truly feel introspective and intimate.

Stand-out tracks like “Smiling,” "Diagnosis," and "Reckoning" see Alanis lament with a profound openness and unapologetic frankness, while showcasing the capabilities of her ever-recognisable voice, now with a mature and worldly-wise edge.

You can order a physical copy of the album on CD, Vinyl or Special Collector's Box from Amazon and it’s available to buy digitally or listen to on streaming services from midnight tonight, your time, wherever you are in the world.

Stream below + please comment as you listen, folks!

PS: Since this is the first time I’ve done an “album review” here, let me know what you think
and if you’d like to see me contribute more content like this on Exhale, thanks.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Blackout2006 said:

The title is very bad tho :makeup:

However, i really like the album cover :makeitrain:has a 90s-retro vibe to it :wow:

She always picks a line from one of the tracks to be the title for her album, in this instance its from "Smiling".

"Such Pretty Forks in the Road" is actually quite an apt title as it describes the process of making this album for her, and all the hurdles ("forks") that got in the way of completing it sooner.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Corso said:

She always picks a line from one of the tracks to be the title for her album, in this instance its from "Smiling".

"Such Pretty Forks in the Road" is actually quite an apt title as it describes the process of making this album for her, and all the hurdles ("forks") that got in the way of completing it sooner.

Not to mention the wrong grammar however :eheeek: "Such Pretty Forks on the Road!" would have been more grammatically and punctualy correct title and i wouldve probably liked it more :shameless:

19 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

Not to mention the wrong grammar however :eheeek: "Such Pretty Forks on the Road!" would have been more grammatically and punctualy correct title and i wouldve probably liked it more :shameless:

Ehmmmm...nah. The metaphor is “forks in the road”, not on. That would imply an eating utensil laying on a highway. :)

pumped for this album!!!

• Love 2
  • Haha 2
  • Like 1

i couldn't hear all the album cause in venezuela there's only 4 songs available but i could say its very experimental album , i like her past works but this slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww vibe its not with me, i like passionate music with feelings and its rock its a ballad with powerrr  this slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow moood, no way, with the lockdown enough for slowliness

18 minutes ago, blackoutbixxh said:

Such a good write up :yay: I like Alanis, I’ll give it a listen! 

Thanks :makeitrain: it’s shaping up to be quite a mellow, chill album for her. The lyrical content of the songs so far have been to die for, so I’m optimistic for more of the same.

• Love 1

So the album is out here now, and I’ve just finished my first listen of the tracks I hadn’t heard. I’ll post my marks out 10 for each track in the morning, but highlights straight away are “Nemesis” and  “Losing the Plot” which are both stunning. “Reasons I Drink,” “Reckoning” and “Smiling” remain the best tracks on this album.

Hope you all have a listen when it’s available wherever you are. Excited for my physical copies to arrive tomorrow and to hear what y‘all think.

Here’s my overall verdict on the album, after a few listens.

Alanis expressed that she had “been wanting to make a ‘piano record’ forever,” and with this album I feel she’s definitely done that.

Smiling
A truly stunning album opener, beautifully vulnerable. One of my favourite songs that Alanis has ever released. 10/10

Ablaze
A soft, pop-rock vibe to this one. Alanis talking to her children, professing her hopes for them. It’s a sweet track, not one of my faves, but a solid 7/10.

Reasons I Drink
One of her best songs ever! I can see why this was picked as the lead. Such a bop with great lyrics, exploring addiction of all sorts. Honestly love this one. 10/10

Diagnosis
A stark piano lead track that really delves into what it feels like to suffer from depression. Alanis vocal on this track is so raw and emotional. 7/10

Missing the Miracle
Nice lyrics, not an immediate favourite but it might grow on me. 5/10

Losing the Plot
Really interesting track that starts off quite slow but really picks up in the second half and builds nicely toward the end. I really, really enjoyed it! 8/10

Reckoning
Love this one. A beautifully bitter song that explores the violation and betrayal she felt after her former business manager was convicted of stealing millions from her. Another new favourite - 9/10

Sandbox Love
Quite a nice melody, a little bit more upbeat, I love the chorus, describes how awkward and scary love can be. A nice 7/10 for this one. 

Her
A heavy song, but I enjoyed it. Lovely piano melody, but not one of my favourites, might be a grower. 6/10 

Nemesis
A pulsing drum like a heartbeat drives this deliciously dark song. I love her voice on this one too. It picks up and is almost like a dance track by the end with a guitar riff that sounds like something straight out of a spaghetti western. I really, really like this one. 9/10

Pedestal
Not one of my favourites, but a lovely soothing track. Alanis talks about her insecurities here and it’s a very vulnerable, revealing song. Not bad at all 7/10

Overall, I really liked it and I think her songwriting really shines in the record. A nice return to form for Alanis, I feel.

My Collectors Box arrived this morning and I’m in love with it. Especially the mug.

08D0FE8A-A2ED-49A1-B884-ACA3D2B3C217.jpeg.0d7d9cb4ce9d26d2e48e751cd4171101.jpeg

What do you all think of the album?

• Love 1
  • Like 3

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block