Drake is the rumored recipient of this year's MTV Video Vanguard Award at the VMAs

4 hours ago, DignifiedLove said:

Y'all need to chill. Drake wasn't my first choice either especially since Eminem's and Busta Rhymes is long overdue but he has been the face of hip-hop for over a decade now. 99.9% certain Gaga will get the award soon regardless. At this point, I doubt Christina is going to get the award and it actually frustrates me because I do think she genuinely deserved it. Unfortunately, out of all the main pop girls of the late 90s-2000s, she's definitely the most irrelevant so I doubt they would even offer it to her at this point. Shakira also deserves too. :fakecry:

Drake is for sure the face of the 2010s hip-hop but the Video Vanguard Awards are given to people with an iconic, memorable and legendary Videography. Wheras, for Drake, except for Hotline Bling and Gods Plan he does not have any iconic videos on his belt, just to prove my point, the last recipient of the award was Jlo who even tho doesnt sing her own vocals, has memorable videos like Jenny from the block, Love dont cost a thing, On the floor, and many more. If he were winning some other legacy award, like Billboard millenium award, i wouldnt doubt it because he is a Hip-Hop icon. I find it unjustified to give him such an award before artist like Lady Gaga, Shakira, Xtina and much more.

1 hour ago, NotLouTaylor said:

To me he's not even a superstar, he's just "there". He's not even interesting... 

His last album was the best-selling album of 2018 :wyd: 

• Super Mods

Drake is literally the most overrated artist EVER to exist. His fame is literally a product of patriarchal society and men in power standing behind the curtain pushing male artists regardless of how average they are just to undermine women. Him getting that award is a firm proof this is true. 

• Madonna
  • Shakira
  • Lady Gaga
  • Mariah Carey
  • Rihanna
  • Taylor Swift
  • Katy Perry
  • Sia
  • Even Christina Aguilera

All of these female artists are more deserving to get that award than him and his ******* mediocre music videos and album are. I am literally done. :drag:

• Like 4
43 minutes ago, BUWYGF said:

Drake is literally the most overrated artist EVER to exist. His fame is literally a product of patriarchal society and men in power standing behind the curtain pushing male artists regardless of how average they are just to undermine women. Him getting that award is a firm proof this is true. 

• Madonna
  • Shakira
  • Lady Gaga
  • Mariah Carey
  • Rihanna
  • Taylor Swift
  • Katy Perry
  • Sia
  • Even Christina Aguilera

All of these female artists are more deserving to get that award than him and his ******* mediocre music videos and album are. I am literally done. :drag:

gurl madonna and rihanna have already received a video vanguard award  :cackling: educate yourself before open your mouth :lessons:

• Haha 1
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, DignifiedLove said:

He's literally the most successful male artist of last decade and was/is the LITERAL face of Hip-Hop for over 10 years now. To say he's a superstar is an understatement. :deadbanana:I swear, I feel like some of you guys live under rocks or have a bias against anyone that isn't your fave. :deadbanana:

6 hours ago, DignifiedLove said:

Y'all need to chill. Drake wasn't my first choice either especially since Eminem's and Busta Rhymes is long overdue but he has been the face of hip-hop for over a decade now. 99.9% certain Gaga will get the award soon regardless. At this point, I doubt Christina is going to get the award and it actually frustrates me because I do think she genuinely deserved it. Unfortunately, out of all the main pop girls of the late 90s-2000s, she's definitely the most irrelevant so I doubt they would even offer it to her at this point. Shakira also deserves too. :fakecry:

tumblr_pm7uplnvo31x5z3fmo1_400.gifv

10 hours ago, DignifiedLove said:

He's literally the most successful male artist of last decade and was/is the LITERAL face of Hip-Hop for over 10 years now. To say he's a superstar is an understatement. :deadbanana:I swear, I feel like some of you guys live under rocks or have a bias against anyone that isn't your fave. :deadbanana:

I have the right to express my opinion and you don´t have to assume i live under rocks. He may be successful in the US, where i am from he is not on THAT level yet. I was about to attend to his concert in germany, but he cancelled because he was "sick"...the following day he was partying in Paris...i have the right to have my opinion about him.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Elvira_fr said:

I have the right to express my opinion and you don´t have to assume i live under rocks. He may be successful in the US, where i am from he is not on THAT level yet. I was about to attend to his concert in germany, but he cancelled because he was "sick"...the following day he was partying in Paris...i have the right to have my opinion about him.

we care tumblr_m5v337dRWW1qmtldn.gif

5 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

His last album was the best-selling album of 2018 :wyd: 

10 hours ago, DignifiedLove said:

I'm not into charts honestly, i never look at the charts,  he sounds the same on every song to me ... His music is very disposable. 

His hits are good at surface level observation. But his recent albums are kinda a slog to get through and are packed with filler to beef streaming numbers. It all seems super forced and fabricated to “relate” to people. He chocks his albums with filler to bump his streaming numbers and is basically in it for commercial appeal and money as I see it. He's a house party rapper with lyrics tailor made for girls to quote in a night out Instagram caption. Buuuuut, if you like it, listen to it. I still like a few of his songs. 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, DignifiedLove said:

His power is by no means denied, and I have bopped to many of his songs, I even freaked out once I saw him in Toronto, he was in his car with a chauffeur of course lol. What we are trying to say is that his videography lacks strength. 

• Love 1

You do realize that artists need to accept this award before MTV moves forward correct? I’m sure others were approached but given the current climate and still the stigma attached to Michael Jackson some of the others you’ve mentioned might have declined to accept. 

MTV has been irrelevant for the past 10 years at least and the VMAS are nothing anymore. They are probably paying Drake to show up for this TBH. 

• Like 2

There’s always next year for Katy Perry and Lady Gaga. Katy’s videography is incomparable. Can’t say the same about Gaga. There’s always next year I guess.

Drake‘S long career and staying consistent since 2010 is nothing to joke about. He deserves it even if his music don’t exactly resonate with LGBTQ Community. 

cardi b what was the reason GIF 

First JLost and now Drizzy Drake? I mean, there many artists who deserve this way more than these two, yet these two 'irrelevants' (in this case) get the recognition. VMA's are getting worse and worse. It's trash now and don't make me even start about no nominations for miss Dula Peepa. Vanguard should go to Gaga, Shakira, Xtina, miss Kitty Purry, Eminem and even The Weeknd has more iconic (cinematographic) videos that Drake so :mattafact:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block