British-Japanese Artist Rina Sawayama barred from getting nominations at British awards shows

• Leader

rina.jpg.ac21691f650ecdf971cb8e6b73d9b22b.jpg

Japan-born singer Rina Sawayama, who permanently re-located to the UK at 5-years-old and has remained there ever since, is ineligible to enter Mercury Prize and the BRITs because of a nationality clause. 

In a nut shell, she's not a UK citizen, therefore she can't enter to win at these awards shows.

Her self-titled album is hailed as one of the best pop records of the year. 

Rina has what's called an indefinite leave to remain (ILR). In many ways, she lives and acts like a real UK citizen. She considers herself British, so she's rightfully upset because of this dumb dumb rule.

“It was so heartbreaking,” she tells Vice of the moment she found out she couldn’t enter. “I rarely get upset to the level where I cry. And I cried.”

“All I remember is living here,” she says. “I've just lived here all my life. I went to summer school in Japan, and that's literally it. But I feel like I've contributed to the UK in a way that I think is worthy of being celebrated, or at least being eligible to be celebrated.”

“I'm signed to a UK label,” Rina continued. “I've lived here uninterrupted for the last 25 years. I'm only tax registered in this country. The whole album was recorded in the UK as well as in LA. It was mixed in the UK. My lyrics are in English, except for one verse in one song.”

IMO, these awards shows need to calm down. They're already fading into irrelevancy anyway, so excluding people feels icky especially considering the times we are in. 

Thoughts, Exhale? Is this fair? 

Related:

those incapable people who decide what goes and what doesn't are showing that they don't care about true talent and great representation of their country... just another thing this world needed. a bunch of insecure nationalists/racists 

THE GIRL HAS THE ALBUM OF 2020 

:jeanluc:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block