Does a person’s ***uality influence their taste in music?

I think there's definitely some correlation considering gay men are more likely to listen to pop girlies. Just because there's straight men that listen to pop girlies or gay men that listen to metal / rap, doesn't mean that there's no correlation. Having some outliers doesn't mean they cancel each other out. Liking this type of music doesn't make one gay, but it's pretty obvious that gay men are more likely to listen to this type of music. Just like gay men are more likely to be feminine. Doesn't mean that all feminine men are gay, but more often than not a feminine guy is going to be gay. However, I couldn't tell you why that is. It just so happens to be that way, and I think there's many factors at play. :idkney:

• Love 1
  • Like 3
  • Super Mods

I know lots of gays that listens to rap music, rock etc some can be come off straight. I mean it’s just like the stereotype of gays only liking girly things but many of my gay friends watch basketball or sports yet I’m not even into it. I met so many people with different interest and backgrounds that there really isn’t any rule to live by. I know many girls that are more tough and can fit right in at a sports bar with her dainty dress and heels as she shouts for her team. I’ve dated a girl who was smoking hot but she ate like a man, scarfing down burgers and not afraid to just dig in with sauce all over her face. The times I spent with her, I looked more of a sissy compared to her even though she was smaller than me and looked very girly on the outside. 

If we look at history, there’s never a real definition of what’s masculine or feminine. Pink used to be for boys, men wore make up in Egypt, perfume was meant for everyone men wouldn’t hesitate to put on rose fragrance. Everyone is different and unique 

• Love 4

I think no.

That would be too reductionist. It's a mix of a bunch of factors,many of which I'm not too ignorant to comment on or of which I am not even conscious of because they exist in the subconscious.
Sexuality is ONE factor,but there are many. It's not a simple answer but it's definitely a fascinating question. I think,in broad terms,our environment,culture,upbringing,and our genetics play a big role in shaping our preferences in music (among pretty much everything else).

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Style. said:

My friend is a football player and he is str8 and asked me the other day, “why are you listening to Britney Spears and Nicki Minaj, bro? Are you gay or something?”I had to lie and told him “I listen to them because they are beautiful and have a great a.ss, brooooo”. :leaving: 

Shall I tell him that I stan Britney Spears and I’m lusting over her b-armies in exhale? :gloriascary:

This the same type of **** I hated growing up. Have you ever heard someone ask a woman “why are you listening to Eminem and Kanye? Are you a lesbian or something?” I hate this stereotypical **** and brought back so many memories being asked that. I wanted to be like yes I’m gay tenor.gif

• Love 4
1 minute ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

This the same type of **** I hated growing up. Have you ever heard someone ask a woman “why are you listening to Eminem and Kanye? Are you a lesbian or something?” I hate this stereotypical **** and brought back so many memories being asked that. I wanted to be like yes I’m gay tenor.gif

People have asked you that? :omggg:
Who are they? :beat:

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

In reality no , people's taste in music is based on what they like ,but unfortunately society is hypocritical and that's why straights would be made fun of if they listen to female pop singers for example because it's not masculine or "cool" in their friends eyes , my brother is straight and he likes many pop songs but he's usually screaming along in the shower , but also near his friends sometimes , anyways his friends are silly chavs and they listen only to rap and stuff like that so it affects his taste in music . 

• Love 2

Ive been thinking this for a long time tbh.

There is undeniably a certain type of music that is pretty universal in the gay community, specifically trance/heavy club music and female pop music. Go to any gay club around the world and theyll be playing the same trancey club beats.

I dont know what could explain it. I guess it all boils down to what genetic/environmental factors make one gay to begin with, since they probably affect other aspects of the human psyche as well.

Im waiting for the day that they discover the "gay gene" or whatever the cause of gayness is, itll be fascinating to finally have some concrete explanation for this common anomoly.

• Love 2

i've always listened to mostly female singers since i was 2 and only a handful of male singers and im 33 and gay i don't know if my sexuality influences it or not i mean i love britney spears since she came out and got so much **** for liking her and her music same for christina aguilera i got made fun of for liking her and her music but at the same time i like rock music like linkin park, green day, u2, i also like john mayer harry styles etc music is just art and should be free to be enjoyed by any and eveyone.

I just relate to strong woman more, we've been treated like ish by straight men, walked on by friends and have been spread rumors about, we build this thick wall and skin, we rarely let anyone in our circle, and not very trustworthy at all. 

Don't start about our families, that's why I relate to Madonna so much, misunderstood, being as seen as weird, refuse to confirm to society norms, A Rebel Heart through and thru. I ain't afraid to call someone out as reductive either. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block