Are These Artists Over?

With recent events and how quick people lose interest over time, I'm wondering if these artists have experienced their last hit or have the potential for future success. People will argue that no one can release proper promotion, but we've seen regarding folklore and Chromatica that promo is unnecessary for this current climate. 

Listen, we all know I love my Charlie Puth, but he seems to be running out of steam. His last hit on Billboard was three years ago. He's released seven singles after How Long peaked at #21 and two collaborations since then. Out of those nine, the only one that charted was The Way I Am, which peaked at #61. See You Again was the best-selling song of 2015 and one of the best-selling singles of all-time at 20.9 million units sold. I don't live by the charts except when it comes to Britney. The only reason I care about charts is that you need some chart success to continue making music. Tinashe and Iggy Azalea are two artists that haven't let chart success hinder their talent, and I hope that Charlie doesn't let that happen. He already scrapped his album because his two singles off that album (I Warned Myself & Mother) didn't chart. Girlfriend, his latest release, and the inspiration for Exhale's 2020 most popular thread :bieber: failed to chart on the Hot 100, and I don't know if it ever will. 

Another case is Meghan Trainor. Meghan achieved considerable success in the first couple of years in her career. Her debut album spawned four hits, three of which were top 10. All About That Bass was one of the best-selling singles of 2014 and moved over 11 million copies. She also joined an exclusive list of women with #1 debut album and single (13th member) comprising of Britney Spears, Mariah Carey, Christina Aguilera, and Beyoncé. Her last hit on the charts was in 2016 when Me Too peaked at #13. She's released about twenty singles after Me Too, and only two have charted (No Excuses at #46 and Nice To Meet Ya at #89. She also delayed her album to the point where the majority didn't care. It's tragic since the album has a lot of good songs on it. :kidcries:

Meghan was accused of "skinny shaming," and Charlie changed his signature look more times than I can count. I think those incidents hurt their momentum, and I find it hard to believe that they'll reach success again. It's a shame since Charlie is an excellent producer, but his lyricism needs some work. If I were to place bets on who would have another hit, it's Charlie since not even Nicki could save Meghan considering Nicki helped notoriously hated 6ix9ine get his first and only #1 single. :omggg:

What do you guys think? Will Charlie and Meghan ever have another hit? Yes? No? Why or Why not? Which other artists do you think are "over?" :decisions:

rsz_meghan_charlie.jpg.f6a876de0af94195ad6a2957f3d3568b.jpgrsz_meghan_charlie.jpg.f6a876de0af94195ad6a2957f3d3568b.jpg

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Charlie Puth can still make a hit song and comeback, he has a strong potential too. Unfortunately he released Voicenotes too early, because if he released it this year, it would have been a sophomore hit with the popularity of 70s-90s synthPOP and technoPOP. 
Whereas for Meghan, I honestly expected Nice to meet ya her comeback and a big hit but it performed quite badly. Otherwise, I don’t feel there is anything to save her now. She is over

Commercially? Yes. Their sounds/image to me are just VERY 2015. Like I remember them being everywhere when I was in college. Regardless of the fact, the both had hits and success. I can see Charlie being huge behind the scenes for upcoming artist and Meghan having some talk show like Kelly clarkson. However, I don’t see either having another hit single again (MAYBE Charlie but not Meghan)

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block