Rare Max Martin interview with Mentor Dennis Pop for an official Ace of Base EPK press

Spicechinodiva

In 1995 Ace of Base released their highly anticipated follow up to the massively successful Happy Nation (Europe, Africa, Mexico, and Australia and Asia outside Japan) Or The Sign (US, Canada and Latin America outside of Mexico, also Japan when it was reissued in a remaster edition in 2003). 

The follow up the Guinness book of world records best selling debut album by a non British act was widely acclaimed but underperformed. 

Happy nation sold astounding 28 million albums worldwide for a swedish act. These numbers are unheard of unless You are Abba. 

But the follow up only sold 7 million worldwide. Industry standards at that time deemed it a flop.

And I will include the track Dennis Pop is talking about plus all four of the very first productions that actually gave Max Martin full credit as a song writer and a producer. 

The demo that got stuck in his car. Which he heard over and over again. 

The end result. Which Jenny and Joker say the song has a sad ending. Cos you don't know if she got what she wanted after all. 

It was main vocalist Linn that suggested the production of the song be in minor key as it makes the track more scary and threatening when telling her story of her quest for a night of passion. 

Beautiful Life Lead single in the US and second international single was the first global single to have Max Martin credited as a song writer and a producer. 

The track was Written by Ace of Base member Joker with John Ballard.

Production by Joker, Dennis Pop and Max Martin.. Max Martin also provides background vocals.

Beautiful Life peaked at #15 on both the hot 100 and the UK's OCC. 

Also was a #1 hit on the US billboard Hit dance club play. 

Lucky love international lead single and second US single offered as the acoustic version with an alternate video..

Shocking Sweden wasn't in love with Ace of Base, they actually treated them harshly cos of how huge they were and it's actually common in Sweden. Something about a moral community law that basically they aren't happy if you actually achieve something that most swedish don't get. Global recognition. I've researched it's actually more laced now nearly 30 years later.

When Lucky love went #1 in Sweden it shocked them.

Track was a top 20 hit in a few other countries.

Here's the European video with the original mix. 

Due to the success of Grunge, and alternative rock music. Arista (Their US distribution offered an acoustic version in the US as the single. And even on the Bridge US version. Lucky love (Acoustic version) was the only version we got.

It wasn't until the 2003 Platinum & Gold collection did the US get the original mix. 

It peaked at #30. A top 40 hit based on the sales. But another dance #1 hit. Thx to remixed by Frankie Knuckles, Richard Humpty Vission, and a few others. 

US video is different and also known for another reason .

#1 the US video is the last video to feature full participation from Malin. After this she will begin her gradually into the background of the group. Giving Jenny all vocals to eventually disappearing from the public eye. Literally. She hasn't been seen outside her family since 2003. 

Her brother joker still gives us updated. But she is gone. Nobody knows what she looks like. Her brother said she changed her appearance to be unregonize by fans. 

It's also a summer theme ..

Final third single.

Never gonna say I'm sorry..

Worldwide underperformed as the group didn't promote it.

They we're on a tour which Malin ended up abruptly and the promotion ended in just 8 months. 

jante law. Which is a moral social law. 

You are not supposed to be show off, stand out or actually be special.

You are supposed to be like every other Sweden.

I think @Jordan Miller

And @Roxxy

Would especially appreciate the shade from ULF. I love my country. But I'd Rather be #1 in America. 

Jenny explaining in the US in 93. 

There was Soul music, Rap and hard rock. That was the three biggest and mostly bought genres of music in the states.

But not Melodic pop. Which they brought to the US states. Somehow the American public are it up. 

1994 will always be remembered as the year Ace of Base had the #1 single with The Sign and The #1 album also titled The Sign. 

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived