Simon Cowell and Sony Music to part ways

simon.jpg.b9e4dc9a06acf076223b036469253481.jpg

After 11 years, Simon's Syco Music and Sony Music entertainment are to part ways. 

Sony Music was Syco's distribution label for X Factor acts like Little Mix, Camila Cabello, Cher Lloyd and countless others. 

It's not without any controversy as several groups and artists have called Syco on artistic directions such as Cher Lloyd, who butted heads with Simon on the direction of "Sorry I'm Late." She got out of the contract after several delays. The album was quietly released, but Cher, Syco and Sony did no promotion at all.

It's rumored Simon prevented Cher from signing to any label. She had to establish an independent record label to find a loop hole for major label distribution.

Fifth Harmony's original contracts between management and Syco gave the girls less creative control and money issues. A lawyer through Larry Rudolph saw that the contract basically made them work for free. 

Little Mix is a little more controversial. They and Modest! Management called out Simon over creative control. Lack of several writing credits, including "Woman Like Me" (the platinum BPI hit with Nicki Minaj). 

They took him to court. The court ruled in the Girls favor. Little Mix switched LM5 to RCA UK, but because of this, Simon refuses to work with Modest! Management so he let Rak Su go cos of this. They went To RCA.

With the 10-year One Direction announcement coming, it seems Syco and Sony separated due to the boys Being with Modest! Management.

Sony will own the masters to previous Syco releases, but future Syco issues like Camila, who still owes four more album to Syco, will be independent music releases. 

1 minute ago, ColdAsFire88 said:

I have no idea. It sounds like the label will be an independent label with le$$ cash flow aka less promotion? Who cares. She's a :flop: anyway. IDK too many artists that comeback from a sophomore slump :nonono:

Well then it’s what she :deserves:

I’m pretty curious what will happen with her because for this album she got some good and expensive promotion. :fakecry:

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block