Why the hell is it taking so long for the Free Britney movement to pick up speed?

AndyFoster

beauty-blogs-girls-in-the-beauty-departmShe’s Britney freaking Spears!

its been over a year since this started and even with news coverage it’s still not at the level of hype that I would expect. If this was Beyoncé, it would be on every news outlet etc. Even amongst the general public it’s only just starting to gain momentum, but not at the rate one would expect.

Heck, people are talking more about this new star sign that’s been announced rather than a beloved pop icon having her civil rights abused.

its so baffling to me. 😩

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, godneyjspears said:

Britney has and unfortunately always will have connotations of being crazy and an addict etc. with a large portion of the general public as a result of 2007 and sadly that's unlikely to change :crying1:

100% agree with that and it’s sad that she will always been seen like that, but it’s almost as if people really don’t give a **** about her anymore. A good handful of my friends are aware of her situation, but that’s only because I constantly bleat on about it, otherwise they would be none the wiser to it. 

I think a lot of the reason is because many other things in the industry/politics are being exposed, so it’s hard to only focus on one thing. But this is also good because regardless, it’s still gaining momentum whether it’s fast or slow. 

1 minute ago, Towelney said:

I think it’s definitely picking up now. :gobaby:

But the reason is because it finally caught TikTok/Gen Z’s attention. From now on, we need to keep pushing the movement (or any future music) in these places.

If there was ever a reason to make a Tik Tok account, this would be the only reason 😂

1 minute ago, AndyFoster said:

100% agree with that and it’s sad that she will always been seen like that, but it’s almost as if people really don’t give a **** about her anymore. A good handful of my friends are aware of her situation, but that’s only because I constantly bleat on about it, otherwise they would be none the wiser to it. 

Yeah I can confidently say almost all my friends would have no idea about any of this without me going on and on about it like not enough people care it's so frustrating 

I think because it’s such a complicated situation that’s hard to easily break down to people. There’s no super obvious, clear ‘soundbite’ evidence to broadcast on the news from Britney. Instead, it’s a bunch of more covered-up details.

For example, the FTR photographer released that letter years ago anonymously, but was just now finally able to say he was the one who released it. Or how the story changed from Britney taking a break due to her dad’s health, to checking herself into rehab voluntarily due to her dad’s health, to her being forced involuntarily due to her not taking medications. Or how Lynne only liked #FreeBritney comments, but didn’t make a public statement against the conservatorship.

Everything is quite murky and subtle from a distance, and a lot of people don’t have the time in the day to go investigate a popstar’s very unusual and complicated conservatorship. That’s why I’ve been trying to make a clear outline of what’s been going on:

Additionally, anyone that speaks out has to face Britney’s legal team. Hence the anonymous paralegal whistleblower and the celebrities that make posts supporting #FreeBritney but then later take those posts down.

Archived