What are your Top 10 Movies in 2019?

• Content Curators

This is for all you Exhalers who are cinephiles :nynod:. 2020 sucks and it's a terrible year in every aspect because of that ***** Miss Corona :blast:

I've missed the cinema so much, so I thought we could share our top 10 movies in the past year and see if we agree with each other (civilized discussion only :miley:)

I've graded everything I've watched in the past year (only the ones I've seen in cinema) and here are my Top 10:

10. Knives Out

MV5BMGUwZjliMTAtNzAxZi00MWNiLWE2NzgtZGUx

giphy.gif

MVP: The cast

Such a great ensemble cast, from Jamie Lee Curtis to Toni Collette to Daniel Craig to Ana de Armas. It's my favorite detective movie in a while. I was really excited to see ****** on the Orient Express a few years ago, and it fell short to me :katyfrog:

9. Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood

Once-Upon-Time-Hollywood-Poster.jpg

48304b5f0c84d6e29c0ad608e25cc3a6.gif

MVP: Production design

The production of this film just made me gasp so much :wow: I felt like I was transported back to Hollywood in its old times, and it was so beautifully done. I felt the love for cinema when I was watching this. Tarantino created such a beautiful world. The ending was also so satisfying :begone: 

source.gif

This is the most gorgeous I've seen her look :kiss:

8. Toy Story 4

MV5BMjBhNzc0NWEtZjk0Mi00OGM5LWExMzUtMjYw

MVP: The story. Duh :mhm: It may not be as touching as the last one, but this movie stands well on its own. All this time we might think we have only one path in life / one purpose, but we are way more than that. Be yourself and don't put yourself in a limiting box.

giphy.gif

7. Hustlers

12jlo-Oscars1-superJumbo-v2.jpg

MVP: Jennifer Lopez ni tu ni yo GIF

I still think J. Lo should've won an Oscar or at least be nominated for this role. Some people may say it's not a challenging role, but to me this was by far her best performance oozing charisma and glamour. One of the best performances in 2019 for sure. I think her smoking on the rooftop in a fur coat will be one of the most memorable scenes to me for a very long time. ICONIC. This movie was about sisterhood to me, and it made sure we know that drugging men and taking their money IS NOT OK at the end.

:bparty:

source.gif

6. Ford v. Ferrari

81R0eIpUlcL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

MVP: Editing, Sound

Thought this movie was going to be just a macho, bros movie, but I ended up enjoying it so much, especially when I don't care for cars at all. Entertaining and amazing sound and editing.

0dcfab9b2cd306793542863d23dacbe26818b700

5. The Farewell

thefarewell_homeslider_mobile-crop.jpg

MVP: These two women

01ceb6cc4274be56475551561f3ca04866f9bd22

Nai Nai (Zhao Shuzhen) is obviously a master and gave also one of the best and most effortless performances in 2019, but I have to give props to Awkwafina because I didn't know she could act before watching this. Love her so much now. I can relate to this movie so much as an Asian who has lived in Western society for more than 10 years struggling between both cultures.

4. Little Women

MV5BZDQ2NzUxNjAtM2U3MC00YjMxLTgxNTItYzli

MVP: Screenplay

This movie has been done many times, but I don't need to see all of them to know this is by far the best adaptation out there. It elevated the original work and made Jo a fully realized character. Near perfection.

giphy.gif

3. Jojo Rabbit

MV5BZjU0Yzk2MzEtMjAzYy00MzY0LTg2YmItM2Rk

MVP: Scarlett Johansson

RepulsiveEnviousBergerpicard-max-1mb.gif

Love her comedic timing, the sunshine and warmth she brought to this role and movie, and her presence was felt throughout the entire movie even when she wasn't on screen. We all need a story about how love conquers hate in this cancelled culture.

2. Marriage Story

MV5BZGVmY2RjNDgtMTc3Yy00YmY0LTgwODItYzBj

MVP: The 2 leads and the screenplay

OMG That script was freaking amazing. It is so authentic and the 2 leads were just perfect. Everything was meticulously done. That's the longest I've cried EVERRRR in cinema and I did the ugly cry with sound instead of sobbing quietly.

c4bbd59dd8e8159615fa995ed8c8860925085c03

1. Parasite

maxresdefault.jpg

MVP: Absolutely everything. The production design, concept, screenplay, the cast OMG, the director

This movie gave me comedy, thrills, horror... Can't be defined by one genre and it's so freaking original! It will probably be the favorite thing I've seen for a very long time.

200.gif

original.gif

6cc1d72aa6876cf55e95aebc637b9b92.gif

6c64b1fc7921a688fb2772b9cd6f5da247b285e9

45e8c3ad39c8bc449298728d652278c023c247ae

tumblr_oqh00f6vUw1vlavlqo7_r1_400.gifparasite.jpg.f4839be48306fe5d9c489eaa0e9b519a.jpg

• Love 4

Awesome topic! Mine would probably be 

1 Parasite

2. Joker

3 Knives Out

4 Doctor Sleep

5 Ford V Ferrari

6 Spider-Man: Far From Home

7 Avengers Endgame

8 Aladdin

9 Toy Story 4

10 Ready or Not

This was so hard and I have so many more I want to include like The Farewell, Hustlers, Good Boys, The Lighthouse, Queen and Slim, etc  :sobbing:

• Love 2
  • Content Curators
4 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Awesome topic! Mine would probably be 

1 Parasite

2. Joker

3 Knives Out

4 Doctor Sleep

5 Ford V Ferrari

6 Spider-Man: Far From Home

7 Avengers Endgame

8 Aladdin

9 Toy Story 4

10 Ready or Not

This was so hard and I have so many more I want to include like The Farewell, Hustlers, Good Boys, The Lighthouse, Queen and Slim, etc  :sobbing:

Omg I love almost every film on your list except Aladdin. I haven’t seen Good Boys. I really wanted to but somehow didn’t end up seeing it.

The Lighthouse :omg never seen Robert Pattinson hotter😂
Doctor Sleep was also pretty awesome. It was a surprise to me.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Invitation said:

Omg I love almost every film on your list except Aladdin. I haven’t seen Good Boys. I really wanted to but somehow didn’t end up seeing it.

The Lighthouse :omg never seen Robert Pattinson hotter😂
Doctor Sleep was also pretty awesome. It was a surprise to me.

Haha a lot of people didn’t like Aladdin, but out of all the live action Disney ones it was my favorite. I guess cause I really liked Speechless by Naomi Scott. That song alone and performance made it a film for my top 10 :queenie: and yes! Doctor Sleep surprised me the most out of all these films. I actually rewatched it on HBO last night. The Lighthouse is also on Amazon Prime and imma rewatch it sometime this week. I saw all these films in the movie theater so I guess that’s why I loved them so much. FVF on Dolby was a crazy experience and a reason why I liked it so much. It’s also on HBO, but I'm hesitant to ruin the magic in case I don’t enjoy it as much at home. Going to the movies is one of my all-time favorite things to do, but with the lockdowns it’s something I miss a lot 

• Love 2
  • Content Curators
34 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Haha a lot of people didn’t like Aladdin, but out of all the live action Disney ones it was my favorite. I guess cause I really liked Speechless by Naomi Scott. That song alone and performance made it a film for my top 10 :queenie: and yes! Doctor Sleep surprised me the most out of all these films. I actually rewatched it on HBO last night. The Lighthouse is also on Amazon Prime and imma rewatch it sometime this week. I saw all these films in the movie theater so I guess that’s why I loved them so much. FVF on Dolby was a crazy experience and a reason why I liked it so much. It’s also on HBO, but I'm hesitant to ruin the magic in case I don’t enjoy it as much at home. Going to the movies is one of my all-time favorite things to do, but with the lockdowns it’s something I miss a lot 

me 2. What was the last movie you saw?

For me, it's The Hunt. 

Naomi Scott could be someone great in the future. I love Speechless as well. I felt like the rest of the cast, especially the Jafar couldn't act. Wil Smith was also OK.

I liked The Lighthouse in cinema, but I don't think it's a movie I'd watch again hehe.

• Love 2
  • Content Curators
16 minutes ago, Corso said:

List GIF by memecandy
1. Dark Waters
2. Knives Out
3. IT, Chapter Two
4. Pokémon: Detective Pikachu
5. Joker
6. Child’s Play
7. The Invisible Man
8. Capone
9. Lost Girls
10. Jasper Mall

Is No.4 @Roxxy's favorite? lol I still haven't seen it.

Dark Waters is also such a fascinating story. Anne Hathaway was amazing in it.

The Invisible Man would be in my Top 10 this year so far. Loves it.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Invitation said:

me 2. What was the last movie you saw?

For me, it's The Hunt. 

Naomi Scott could be someone great in the future. I love Speechless as well. I felt like the rest of the cast, especially the Jafar couldn't act. Wil Smith was also OK.

I liked The Lighthouse in cinema, but I don't think it's a movie I'd watch again hehe.

At the movies? OMG mine was The Hunt too!! :queenie: things had already started to close, but I had the ticket bought already and just went. Not really impressed though and don’t know why they really went so far to say it would never be released. 
We are like the same person, lmao cause that was my one gripe with Aladdin was Jafar. He wasn’t menacing like the cartoon version. He seemed too comical and I hated his soft voice 

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Invitation said:

Is No.4 @Roxxy's favorite? lol I still haven't seen it.

Dark Waters is also such a fascinating story. Anne Hathaway was amazing in it.

The Invisible Man would be in my Top 10 this year so far. Loves it.

Yes! I had to stop myself from including it cause it was released in 2020 but would’ve made my top 10 easily. Dark Waters was good too. It made me really paranoid about Teflon :haha:

• Love 2
  • Content Curators
Just now, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

At the movies? OMG mine was The Hunt too!! :queenie: things had already started to close, but I had the ticket bought already and just went. Not really impressed though and don’t know why they really went so far to say it would never be released. 
We are like the same person, lmao cause that was my one gripe with Aladdin was Jafar. He wasn’t menacing like the cartoon version. He seemed too comical and I hated his soft voice 

He never had that presence for a villain. He was hot though. 

And not you exposing your 2nd account like that... delete that otherwise we will both be banned:fran:.

I love The Hunt. It's not as good as Ready Or Not, but I thought it was fun. I think it leaned a bit towards right politically and a lot of the Hollywood people were offended. 

• Love 2
  • Content Curators
Just now, Spicechinodiva said:

Well since people are adding The Hunt.

I'm gonna say Sonic the hedgehog was the best movie of 2019. 

We didn't add the Hunt. We were just saying it was the last movie we saw in cinema before all the cinemas were shut.

I liked Sonic though :straddle:

• Love 1
  • Content Curators
7 minutes ago, Roxxy said:

Omg I forgot all the movies i've seen last year but lemme just say Aladdin had the biggest impact on me that I had to follow Mena Massoud on Instagram. :barbie:

I also like Pokemon: Detective PikachuParasite, and Avengers: Endgame. :comingthru:

Wow! Surprise Surprise! You saw PArasite and didn't try to steal my man? :pika:

• Haha 1

I think 2019 was a pretty flat year for films.. nothing too innovative. Im scared that covid would make this year worst :fran:.
1. Parasite  (BY FAR).
2. Judy
3. Joker
4. Endgame (yes.. im a nerd, sorry).
5. Pain and Glory (Almodovar boring memories).
6.The two popes (the performance by the lead is quite remarkable)
7.Bombshell
8.Marriage Story (the screenplay was cute though) 
9. Once upon a time in hollywood. (Tarantino trying not to be Tarantino) 
10. I honestly have no 10th.

I watched Knives Out and tought it was overrated, Hustlers was just Jlo acting as Jlo (a latina woman living from dancing and her beautiful body) :jeanluc:
I still need to watch Jojo Rabbit and The Lighthouse, hope they made it into  the top 5 of my list from 2019. 

• Love 1

OMG love this topic:makeitrain:

Your top 10 slays but I have to say that, for me, Once upon a time in Hollywood is overrated and doesn´t deserve any spot on the list. But I would say that your top 3 is also my top 3 but not in specific order:  Parasite, Mariage Story and Little Women were AMAZING. I loved those 3 movies:tiffanycries:

Also, I´ve been very interested in watching Jojo Rabit but hadn´t have the chance yet, guess I´ll do it one of these days.

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block