Alanis Morissette Settles the Whole "Ironic" Thing Once and For All

In the latest episode of Rolling Stone Music Now, Alanis Morissette discusses her powerful new album, Such Pretty Forks in the Road, 25 years of Jagged Little Pill, and much more, including a moment when she laughingly addresses years of “shaming” over those dubious examples of irony (a black fly in your Chardonnay?) in her hit song “Ironic.” To hear the entire episode, press play below: 

In any case, Morissette was never particularly attached to “Ironic,” which largely stood apart from the autobiographical narrative of the Jagged Little Pill album. “I didn’t even want it on the record,” she explains. “And I remember a lot of people going, ‘Please please, please.’ So I said, OK. That was one of the first songs we wrote, almost like a demo to get our whistles wet. But people wound up really liking the melody, and I wasn’t that precious about it. And I came to realize later that perhaps I should have been,” she admits, laughing. “Whoops!”

alanis.jpg

• Like 2
On 7/12/2020 at 3:53 AM, Trentals said:

Well that explains why she hasn’t had a hit since JLP :jlostare: 

(for the record, I love her and have been a fan of stuff she’s released since. She just hasn’t had a bar of the commercial success that album and it’s singles had)

Thank U was a hit. Also her album “Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie” was a hit :carpoolney:

• Like 1

Alanis is amazing, a true artist. She's so eloquent when speaking about her life and her work too. I love her interviews. Ironic is a great song though, I never would have expected her to say she didn't want it on the album lol. That album is one of the best albums of all time. I was supposed to finally see her live next month but I requested a refund bc I don't want to be around crowds during Covid. 

• Love 1

To be fair, the reason why she wasn't as huge after jagged, was she alienated a big portion of her audience, But she wasn't this angry chick,  plus like she said in 1997, The Spice girls and backstreet boys came and gone was grunge and rock music and Bubblegum pop and teen pop took over, of course I was going to the one that undersold, I'm way to artistic for that market, anybody can write a teen pop song, but an alanis Morissette song is only I can do, And me feeling calm amd serene didn't help it. 

But I was signed To Maverick,  She was told that they didn't expect her to sell more than 200,000 copies of jagged little pill, she was told unless you're Madonna (head of Maverick) , you don't sell. 

The success of jlp took everybody even Madonna by surprise. 

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, BabyBabyBay said:

While we're on the topic of this **** legend, this is one of my fave Alanis songs, her whole catalogue is pretty impressive, I stan forever even if nothing compares to JLP :madance:

I Love this album, Thank god Ryan Reynolds broke her heart, If only TS ans Adele did this kinda cathartic in theur music. 

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block