Unpopular Opinions about Piece of Me

monalisaney81

I saw the show twice in Vegas once in 2014 and once in 2016, and I also saw the show when she came to my city on tour.

There’s a lot of good moments during the show, but a lot of it also falls flat imo 

The show starts off so much high energy,

Work *****, Womanizer, and 3 are so high energy and fun, then all that energy is squashed with Everytime so early in the concert. 

Everytime was a huge disconnect with the crowd, she’s lip synching a ballad, and the wings set up was so far away from the front of the audience you start to lose Britney.

Baby One More Time & Oops I Did It Again gives us a fallen angel angle, spices things up again, it draws a bit of my interest with two Britney classics. We are building up again. Choreo is not amazing, costumes are not amazing, mix is not amazing, but Britney pulls through just enough.

Then comes Me Against The Music, this section is a fun one, with the wooden walls being swung in by the dancers, and Britney appearing in the middle, its a fun high energy section with the original choreo. Followed by Gimme More, Break The Ice, Piece Of Me. These three are fun numbers, I wish Piece Of Me had something to differentiate it, during that part, maybe the male dancers with prop paparazzi cameras flashing on the side and in trench coats and glasses as Britney and the girls danced with better choreo. The lighting during POM also felt off imo. But overall not bad, theres worst moments.

I Love Rock & Roll is another fun number, the guitar is awesome and Britney works it well. I enjoy it.

Now we have Boys. Horrible, horrible, horrible. The remix they made for such a catchy song does it no justice at all, Britney’s choreo is horrible, walk pose, tilt head. The neon could have been cool if utilized better. Disappointing. 

Perfume/Alien....lets leave it at that. We would have been better off with Britney just taking those 3-4 minutes to just rest backstage while a video played in its place. Walking/sitting down & lip synching is so embarrassing. 

She did Pretty Girls here for a while, messy song, messy outfits, but that break down she does in this is probably one of the most fluid dancing parts she does in the whole show.

Then she does a random *** Missy Elliot mash up in that horrible pink leotard that makes her *** look flat. With so many hits Britney is leaving out during her show like Overprotected, she does this? Disappointing. 

Britney shines in I’m A Slave 4 U. I love her banter with the audience right before Freak Show. If you watch the Onyx hotel tour she is so similar in her lines “wow theres so many hot guys here tonight!” classic Britney. Freakshow is a fun number, I enjoy the audience interaction since we get very little of it. Then we get Do Somethin’, which I have a love hate relationship with. Its such a fun song but the chair props feel so cheap, I wish the concept would have been done better. 

Circus, this section is fun, but a bit boring. At this point in the show I start to lose a bit of interest if i’m honest. Originally she did I Wanna Go after, I don’t even remember it, thats how memorable it was. If U Seek Amy followed in the 2.0, its another cheap, forgettable performance. The concept was basically clipping a skirt and hat to Britney while she makes goofy faces. Uninteresting. 

She lip sang to Lucky on a cheap tiny swing during 1.0 Embarrassing & boring. Next.

Breathe On Me/ Touch of My Hand. Personally my favorite part of the show. It flows beautifully, the choreo feels like something Britney is comfortable with, and she oozes *** appeal during both numbers. Its proof that you don’t need a super high budget to perform a good number, she literally only blows out confetti and thats it. Great section for Britney. I’m invested again. 

Now we have Toxic, the jungle theme and huge tree are awesome. Britney dancing on top is awesome, her jumping off is awesome. She does some cool moves, they throw her around, aside from the costumes and ratty wet extensions at this  point I enjoy Toxic. 

Then comes Stronger and Crazy, with a horrible vocal mix from 1999. The horrible rain dance choreography that is a hot mess & makes Britney look a fool. Its not my cup of tea, at this point I lose complete interest in the show. Its not interesting or fun or cool or funky. Nothing groundbreaking or memorable in the least.

Then Till The World Ends, again nothing groundbreaking or interesting there. Just Britney wrapping the show up. 

Honorable mentions that she added later on were Slumber Party, DYWCO, Clumsy & No Seas Cortes. 

Nothing memorable there either. Slumber Party is a rehash of Breathe On Me with a robe thrown over. DYWCO is basically 3 part 2 with the pole. Clumsy has a nice breakdown, when she was feeling it, she killed it, the same for No Seas Cortes, but again nothing totally memorable our out of this world. 

This post is in no way hate for Britney or the efforts put into POM. I just wanted to give my review after a few years now that the hype died down to see if anyone else felt the same way about the show. It wasn’t consistently great, and I feel like there was a lot of shortcuts done to meet the show’s deadline the caused a decline in quality. 

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with you. I really hate the production during POM - cheap outfits, no pre recorded vocals, bad choreography (it's doesn't fit Britney)

POM really destroys her legacy which makes me really sad :crying1:

I enjoy every single tour more than this mess. I hope she doesn't come back to Vegas for a long time. It's time for world tour with new songs and good production :mattafact:

11 minutes ago, LetsRoll said:

I agree with you. I really hate the production during POM - cheap outfits, no pre recorded vocals, bad choreography (it's doesn't fit Britney)

POM really destroys her legacy which makes me really sad :crying1:

I enjoy every single tour more than this mess. I hope she doesn't come back to Vegas for a long time. It's time for world tour with new songs and good production :mattafact:

Like on paper the residency is perfect, its just they didn’t really dive into the little details like making sure the mixes were catchy, making sure Britney can follow the choreographies properly without them looking a mess, picking flattering iconic costumes. I don’t know, ultimately its the little things that make the show work. I would give up the stupid expensive laser lights and huge tree in a heart beat if it mean’t the small things that bring QUALITY to the show were being met. In their mind quantity>quality, and that was a problem with POM. 

In the past I've seen people say the Work B choreography is sort of simple and not that good but I actually really like it and think it was a great show opener:lollipop: it's a shame no one ever corrected how stiff she moved her arm up and down during the "work, work, work..." Bridge part though:britdrown:

The POM Breathe On Me performance is better than the Onyx Hotel performance by far:raven:

Her performance of 3 during the residency is underrated, the choreography and props went really well with the song as it had the bar like the music video and she looked like she always had fun performing it:makeitrain:

I love the (You Drive Me) Crazy remix at the end of the show:bop:

- every single outfit from POM is trash, Victoria Secret outfit as the only exception 

- high boots, micro-skirts, unadjusted bras made 2016ney look like a brick when she had her best body in more than a decade

- lip-syncing to pitched 20 yo vocals was a poor choice, let alone lip-syncing to ballads

- WB New Eve was awesome, except the color of her hair, it's her best WB performance (with that Apple festival one)

- the whole 'circus' section is just a tragedy, and the IUSA """""""""""" performance """""""""""""""" (I saw kids doing better stuff at 5 at their school festival) added fuel to the gas, with an outfit which is all the more tragic (S&M skirt, high boots and an oversized bra) 

- the whole DYWCO/S&S section is ****

- crazy, stronger, ttwe had ****ty performances 

- pretty gorillas with her panties was a complete mess 

- bomt/oops are also trash 

- freakshow performance is disgusting

- POM is still better performing-wise than Circus

- POM is way better than FF

in conclusion

- cheap outfits and poor appearance 

- 0 efforts in terms of realistic vocals

- 0 efforts in terms of production

- 0 efforts in terms of giving Britney real choreographies (POM 2.0 is way better on many aspects, but then idk what happened) and telling her to execute every single move properly (that S4U breakdown is far from being good, even for the dancers)

BBMA & New Eve are proving that when they want to, they can do something less cheap. And it makes POM even worse.

-2015/2016 had good costumes/energy 

-it’s a Vegas show, not a tour. Compared to something like engima it’s very similar in terms of props/quality

-the tour is **** but the removal of everytime gives it a better flow

-the pretty girls outfit is her best Pom outfit and her best hair moments was the mermaid hair, the purple ponytail, and the 2015 short hair near the end of the year  

-according to the new soundboard she sang live in perfume and lucky and sounded good, I wish they pushed the vocals more

Archived