UK Offers 3 Million Hong Kong Residents Path to British Citizenship

U.K Prime Minister Boris Johnson has offered three million Hong Kongresidents the chance to live and work in the U.K., following China’s imposition of new security laws on the region.

Johnson told Parliament on July 1 that the enactment of the “Law of the People’s Republic of China on Safeguarding National Security in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region” by Hong Kong authorities was a “clear and serious breach” of the 1985 Sino-British joint declaration. The legally binding international agreement outlined how certain freedoms would remain protected for 50 years after China gained sovereignty in 1997.

Full article on Time

hong-kong.jpg.7e7f3f5681236ed8866a3681e056b5b0.jpg

• Love 2
  • Like 1
  • Super Mods

So they leave the EU because they don't want Eastern or Western European immigrants coming (both high and  regular educated) but they are ready to let 3 million people from a different continent come and live there? :gloria: 

Is it just me or do their politicians have no bloody idea what they're doing?

9 hours ago, BUWYGF said:

So they leave the EU because they don't want Eastern or Western European immigrants coming (both high and  regular educated) but they are ready to let 3 million people from a different continent come and live there? :gloria: 

hey, i'm from the UK we're not all bad :yasqueen:

it's so diverse here and that's why I love it, i'm glad to hear that they are doing this for 3million people and their families in Hong Kong!

• Love 1
11 hours ago, BUWYGF said:

Western European immigration isn't the main goal of Brexit: the lack of sovereignty (their radical projects have to be approved by the EU, and often clashes occur), burdensome regulations, and also the money sent to other European countries (especially since the several extensions of the EU in the Oriental and Southern parts of Europe + ex-USSR countries which needed help in order to see their economies rising again), without forgetting as you pointed controlling immigration from Europe and the rest of the world. All of these reasons made Brexit getting bigger and bigger.

Politicians are most of the time just trying to appeal their main audience. Look at Trump in the US, suddenly acting conservative. :quirkney:

At the moment, Hong-Kong citizens can stay up to 5 years in the UK. After that, they'd have a permanent resident status. And 12 months after, they can ask for definitive citizenship. It is actually a strategy from the UK to make China unstable, as Hong Kong can't afford a brain drain, and its whole economic system is likely to be hurt if 3 million citizens are moving from there. Hong Kong would lose its attractiveness whereas London could gain some competitiveness against China & the UK. Pekin promised several repercussions though. The UK wants to impose itself, but the country is  still highly dependant of China. (

1 hour ago, HoneyBooBoo said:

200.gif?cid=31ad6aa7b89cc3248e9a2275c105It’s very sweet of UK but why US not even helping them? US has larger land tho

Hong Kong issue is mainly due to its history with the UK. If anything, the US should try to fix the mess that they did in Central America, South America and the Middle East. It's too easy to bomb a country for 'democracy' and fly away when the problems that you brought are surfacing, including a refugee crisis that other countries have to cope with because of your mess. In South America, last century never-ending interventions still have huge repercussions nowadays. And I'm not even talking about Central America. 

4 hours ago, Jordan Miller said:

Wow that's crazy. The world is in such an unstable place right now. 

20th century is laughing :jl:

Still, let's just hope that 2020s are not the new 1930s :jl: or even the new 1920s :jl:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block