Katy Perry says she lost her smile after 'Witness' underperformed

katy-smile.jpg.803130aef594617c06cfd43e1b14be34.jpg

The last three years have proven to be a difficult and different road for Katy Perry.

In an interview with CBC, Katy Perry talks about mental health, gratitude and what validation can do to a pop star. 

Katy Perry says: “My career was on this trajectory where it was going up-up-up-up-up-up-up, and then I had the smallest shift; it wasn’t that huge, maybe, from an outside perspective, but for me it was seismic,” she explained. “It literally kind of broke me in half. I think I had broken up with my boyfriend, who’s now my baby daddy-to-be. And then I was excited about flying high off the next record and the record didn’t get me high anymore…The validation didn’t get me high, and so I just crashed.”

"I lost my smile," she added. "I don't know if my smile was ever fully, like, authentically mine but I was riding on the high of a smile for a long time. Which was the validation, love, and admiration from the outside world, and then that shifted."

"It was so important for me to be broken so that I could find my wholeness in a whole different way. And be more dimensional than just living my life like a thirsty pop star all the time," she continued.

"Gratitude is probably the thing that saved my life, because if I didn't find that I would have wallowed in my own sadness and probably just jumped but I found the ways to be grateful."

I'd also like to add that Katy Perry has been on FULL promotion mode. She partnered with Coke and did a live concert with Q&A. Check it out:

Related:

• Leader

Thank you for posting this @ColdAsFire88. I actually didn't post this originally because I was so turned off how the media spun this.

CNN, People, huge publications used a headline that implied she wanted to commit suicide. It was based off this sentence: 

"Gratitude is probably the thing that saved my life, because if I didn't find that I would have wallowed in my own sadness and probably just jumped but I found the ways to be grateful."

I honestly don't believe she was being literal. Maybe I'm just naive. But it's an expression. Instead, everyone used it as a clickbait headline (look, I get it, I'm guilty of it too sometimes) and it didn't sit well with me. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

I really want her to explain to us why we should feel bad for her when she made a mockery of Britney’s mental health on three (3) separate occasions. Mental health is a serious problem and should NEVER be taken lightly. It’s unfortunate that witness flopping led her on such a downfall. Many of us are depressed, terrified, and trying to stay alive because people are shooting us simply because of our skin color - I wish the only thing I was depressed over was my album flopping. Best of luck to her

• Like 6
  • Super Mods
5 minutes ago, Stefani said:

She took flopping really hard huh? Gaga took it even harder and she got more backlash for it in 2013-2014 yet still managed to bounce back, so it irritates me that Katy keeps victimizing herself.

That’s what pissing me off about all this. She’s been on this “poor me!” for too long. 

• Love 1
  • Like 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block