Virgil Abloh’s artwork for Pop Smoke’s posthumous album

Puppy

• Super Mods
This is his explanation of the artwork 

"The last conversation I had with @realpopsmoke was about what we we were gonna to do in the future," Virgil wrote on his social media account. "This album cover was one of like 5 things we talked about. He mentioned his story felt like the metaphor of a rose & thorns growing from concrete of of his hood in Canarsie, Brooklyn. In your memory, I just finished it yesterday. As evident of the whole idea, the t-shirt insinuates it's mandatory we put an and to this cycle of violence that plagues us, we need to shoot for the moon & aim for the stars. As heavy as it is we are celebrating your life the whole way thru. Rest in piece young one."

What do you guys think?

It’s been getting negative response and rightfully so, the cover looks like a ghetto mix tape cover printed on plain paper. 

steven-victor.jpg.c21e9a0f1b89f1597ad02432b1794d7a.jpg

• Love 1
  • Super Mods
36 minutes ago, Towelney said:

:umwtf: It looks....trashy. I like the concept, but I think it was done poorly.

I’m shocked a high end designer would put out something like this. He’s already in hot water for only donating 50 bucks to the cause. it looks like a middle schooler did it. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, puppylo16 said:

I’m shocked a high end designer would put out something like this. He’s already in hot water for only donating 50 bucks to the cause. it looks like a middle schooler did it. 

I’m lowkey not surprised. :nydisgust: Art has been on the decline. Why try to make a Mona Lisa when you could make millions by taping a banana to a wall. :miley:

Edit: it was 120 grand.

• Super Mods
2 minutes ago, Towelney said:

I’m lowkey not surprised. :nydisgust: Art has been on the decline. Why try to make a Mona Lisa when you could make millions by taping a banana to a wall. :miley:

Edit: it was 120 grand.

Oh Really? They said he only donated 50 dollars to a black charity. At least he gave more.

I mean you can make art and make money. I think I’m bothered by the intention as the label was honoring Pop’s wishes to have Virgil do they cover so I feel Virgil can do more than just put something hastily together on paint. How does that depict a rose coming out of concrete? But I’m glad it’s getting a new cover, wish Team B was like that with Glory.

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block