More Iconic Beychella or Britney's VMA 2000

Smokez

I know this site is biasee towarda Britney, but I remember Beychella being a big thing. Oops I did it Again is still remembered 20 years later, and had a huge impact at the time, spurring imitations (on that lip synching show that MTV had on at the time). I  remember talking about it in class a year later back in high school. We all know no one remembers Beyonce VMA 2016, but Beychella was a big thing. It still produces imitations (people did it for their prom things) and on Lip Sync Battle. Lots of people were looking forward to Beychella. Which was more iconic. Will people remember Beychella 20 years from now?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beychella is only two years old and it already fizzled out of the consciousness of the gp and only fans and casual fans remember it.

While Britney's 2000 VMAs performance is 20 years old and is still being referenced in a lot of news articles and on mainstream TV - because it is so embedded in the consciousness of the people. That is what it means to be iconic. Now that is pop culture. :mattafact:

45 minutes ago, Towelney said:

If this was between Beychella and Britney’s 2001 VMAs, then Britney would take the crown. But with the 2000s VMAs...:ehum:

I think Beyoncé wins. 

EDIT: I don’t hear much about either tbh 

I don't think Britney was trying to make an impact for 20 years, but she definitely wanted to be talked about the next day.

I don't know about beychella :decisions: I mean, if you ask me what she did in that performance, I wouldn't be able to answer :decisions:

& a 18 yo girl performance remembered 20 years later, that had a storm effect the year it came (supposedly), Beyoncé made nowhere as many headlines as Britney did, and somehow, her impact 2 years after is less big than Britney's 20 years after. 

I think that Britney def won this one by far

39 minutes ago, Alestaos said:

Britney 2000 was iconic before she got her slytherin on the next year.....Beychella was a No No!

10 minutes ago, 5HINee said:

I beg your pardon? is all I can say

The "everybody mad" dance was everywhere on Instagram. There was even an instagram of Britney dancing her cheerleading moves with "everybody mad" dubbed over it captioned "Britney shows Beyonce how it's done" and everybody remembers Beyonce's Coachella outfit.

23 minutes ago, Smokez said:

The "everybody mad" dance was everywhere on Instagram. There was even an instagram of Britney dancing her cheerleading moves with "everybody mad" dubbed over it captioned "Britney shows Beyonce how it's done" and everybody remembers Beyonce's Coachella outfit.

I'd love to meet everyone, since i don't remember it, nor do a lot of others i know of. Like i only remember it now cause i saw the video you posted. Whereas the 2000 VMA in can remember in detail.

Hard to compare Mayb if it was vma performance vs vmas performance. 

I love Beyoncé performances as her technique and dance ability has become to be amazing to watch girl puts in the work...but at the same time it doesn’t seem fluid and kinda force sometimes... also as she had years to perfect this. Nothing wrong with this as practice makes perfect but Literally years. She’s almost 40. 

Now britney at 18 which your comparing it to..hit it out the ballpark and was fluid with her performances. So u can’t compare an 18 years old girl 2 years into her career to a grown woman 15+ plus into her career. I may be getting to diplomatic with this reply lol but 

Id say oops is more iconic only Bc she was 18.. so young and so much charisma and talent and drive

but it’s hard to compare as it’s oops had more time to be engraved in pop culture in a time things were actually iconic and now things come n go ..

I think jlo at the super bowl vs beychella or something big and extravagant would be a better comparison or a Beyoncé vmas be a Britney vma performance. 

The fact that Britney's vma 2000 performance is compared to a full set concert says it all. Britney's vma performances were EVERYTHING in the 2000s. Everyone talked about it, because they were shocking and Britney was THE pop girl and Britney got the charism. 

We've not got another artist like Britney but we didn't appreciate her enough back in the day. So, yes. BRITNEY'S VMA 2000 >>>>>>> All of that overrated stuff nowadays.

Iconic is an overused word. I consider something iconic after almost ten years, If people still remember and somehow reference, then I can call iconic.

Like some of you already said, beychella is still fresh, happened very recently. A lot of people confuses being good with being iconic, Beyonce puts a lot of effort on her performances and visuals, that doesn't mean everything she does is iconic or even memorable.

Her influence and impact nowadays is undeniable, but how many moments of her career the GP really remembers? People know she is powerful, great vocalist, can dance, married with Jay Z, but... I don't see the public really going with some specific things like performances, costumes and music videos. Not saying she doesn't have any, obviously she has, but even Gaga has more trademarks than Beyonce for the non pop fan audience.

Britney has the snake, the Madonna Kiss, the failed GM performance.

BOMT, Toxic and oops videos.

Outfits: BOMT, Toxic (ALL the looks), top and jeans, oops red leather.

Beyonce most remembered performance probably is Superbowl, but she did It twice. Not sure If GP remembers something she did during those minutes, or what she was wearing.

Crazy in Love, Single ladies and Halo (run the world, debatable) are her defining songs.

Single ladies her most remembered video, with the choreo. But lately I don't see people referencing that much, not even Beyonce herself.

Her famous costume is the SL leotard.

Beyonce has an amazing and inpressive career, she can be considered an icon by now... But for pop culture, she should be more memorable.

Archived