What was your first thought the first time you heard "Gimme More"?

igmate

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:fakewow:

Reading through the comments, y'all were young. I was 18 when this song came out. :deadbanana:

My first thought was "hnngg~ it's so DARK." I don't know but that was the vibe and the feel. Like... it's bad, it's evil, it's sinister. This is devil Britney now. :embarrassney:

1 hour ago, studlygeorge said:

I was 10. I was absolutely SLAYED. The production, the vocals, the vocal layering, everything about it was so insane. Britney hasn’t layered vocals like this since. Glory came close. But in terms of vocal production it reminds me of the way Mariah does it. It’s just so good.

I’ve always loved the way her voice sounds on this track. But I know nothing about music production so I never knew why it sounded so good.

What is different about the way it’s layered compared to her other tracks? Also, which songs of Mariah’s would you say have similar vocal production/layering?

7 hours ago, C0CKy said:

I’ve always loved the way her voice sounds on this track. But I know nothing about music production so I never knew why it sounded so good.

What is different about the way it’s layered compared to her other tracks? Also, which songs of Mariah’s would you say have similar vocal production/layering?

Take a look at the stems for the track! I love downloading stem packs just to see and hear independent parts of the song. You have Britney’s solo verses/choruses but this track in particular there’s a lot of layered vocals where she sings in a lower register, mid, and then higher. Slave 4 U is the perfect example to this too! There’s so many different takes of her saying “I’m a slaaaaaave for you” in a bunch of different registers and when they’re all layered on top of each other it creates the awesome full sound the chorus has. The chorus of Break the Ice is a great example of this too. Check out the stems for that one as well!!

Mariah Carey is known for her layered vocal productions. The best example of her layering vocals in my opinion (pretty much all her songs include it) is the track Babydoll. Listen to the track, then Mariah’s solo vocal track acapella, and then the full official acapella. You’ll hear all her nuances and hidden vocals and different takes in the acapellas :) sorry if I’m not explaining this good. I check out vocal productions for fun so sorry if I’m not good at explaining with technical terms and such haha

Mariah has backup singers but she also accompanied herself as her own backup vocalist and she’s a MASTER at that. It’s A Wrap is an awesome example of that too

britney was accompanied by Keri Hilson on Blackout but that doesn’t take away from the awesome vocal production Blackout has (Brit did do a fair share of her own backup vocals tho)

Vocal production is severely under appreciated. Good vocal production results in masterpieces like Blackout and Femme Fatale, but bad/lazy results in projects like Britney Jean :) 

It was a defining moment in my life, I was 16 years old, about to come out as gay, I'll never forget it. That same night also Cold As Fire leaked (Hot as Ice demo) and I was like heeeey I like it, and then I opened the track number two that was titled Wolf Eyes/Black Dice and I heard: It's Britney, *****!, and the rest his history. It's still in my top 5 Spotify songs of the year, every year. I want this song played at my funeral. Just legendary

Archived