UNPOPULAR OPINION: 1999 VMAs Performance > 2000 VMAs Performance

DignifiedLove

i'm sorry but she ABSOLUTELY bodied this performance :mimiclap:

yes it was a little short in length but the aesthetics are/were everything. The crisp dancing, stage design, costumes, live vocals throughout - nothing short of pop perfection, periodt. :schoolingtime:

that being said, am i literally the only one who prefers this performance to the 2000 VMAs? :tina:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I gotta disagree, the 1999 performance sort of falls flat for me as I'm not a fan of the remix used and it would have been better if it was a longer solo performance of BOMT instead of being combined with *NSYNC, she looked gorgeous though. Her energy in the 2000 performance is unmatched imo, she showed the world why she should be taken seriously as a performer and it definitely encouraged her to keep stepping up her performances.

28 minutes ago, JackSProductions said:

An amazing performance, but you know it has nothing on 2000. 2000 brought the controversial side out for Britney’s performances which would later influence her and more artists. VMA1999 isn’t really a stand out in comparison to all her performances 

2000 was more controversial and remembered, I agree, but does that necessarily make it better?

VMAs 2000 performance started off great but what really turns me away from claiming it her best was how sloppy the performance was in the grand scheme of things. She messed up her lip-sync cue at the beginning of "(ICGN)S", Wade doesn't even get a chance to grab the pants she ripped off ( :deadbanana:), and then just all the spastic dancing to top it off. For half of "Oops" she's literally in the back, behind her dancers, away from the stage standing on that revolving device, messy weave and all. :cackling:  The true saving grace of that performance was when she dropped to her knees at the finale where she literally lit the stage on fire, but other than that: I'm sorry, I just don't get it. :tina: 

10 minutes ago, Iconic 4 U said:

I gotta disagree, the 1999 performance sort of falls flat for me as I'm not a fan of the remix used and it would have been better if it was a longer solo performance of BOMT instead of being combined with *NSYNC, she looked gorgeous though. Her energy in the 2000 performance is unmatched imo, she showed the world why she should be taken seriously as a performer and it definitely encouraged her to keep stepping up her performances.

Her energy level for 2000 VMAs was great, not denying that but I think the opposite - I think her 2000 performance falls flat as I already stated above. And she already proved herself / stepped up as a serious performer at the 1999 BMAs and EMAs. She didn't tap dance a jazz routine of BOMT and do a backflip on stage for literally nothing. :tina: 2000 VMA performance just solidified her as a permanent media fixture and created a massive amount of buzz for her. It was only inevitable that she was going to step her game up. 

Well, everything was better in 2000. No N sync featured, better hair, body, song (the pre recorded vocals were a smart choice), the dance breakdown was epic, the finale on the floor with all her *** appeal and charisma. Look at her eyes in that very moment, she's here to make a ****** lol

3 minutes ago, igmate said:

Well, everything was better in 2000. No N sync featured, better hair, body, song (the pre recorded vocals were a smart choice), the dance breakdown was epic, the finale on the floor with all her *** appeal and charisma. Look at her eyes in that very moment, she's here to make a ****** lol

I agree and yet, the performance falls flat. The saving grace of that performance was the finale on the floor. Literally one of the greatest Britney moments ever. It's everything else between the performance that falls short for me. 5663774-britney-spears-sur-instagram-le- 

10 minutes ago, DignifiedLove said:

2000 was more controversial and remembered, I agree, but does that necessarily make it better?

VMAs 2000 performance started off great but what really turns me away from claiming it her best was how sloppy the performance was in the grand scheme of things. She messed up her lip-sync cue at the beginning of "(ICGN)S", Wade doesn't even get a chance to grab the pants she ripped off ( :deadbanana:), and then just all the spastic dancing to top it off. For half of "Oops" she's literally in the back, behind her dancers, away from the stage standing on that revolving device, messy weave and all. :cackling:  The true saving grace of that performance was when she dropped to her knees after the final chorus where she lit the stage on fire, but other than that: I'm sorry, I just don't get it. :martini:

6 minutes ago, igmate said:

My response is exactly what @igmatesaid

Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love the 99 performance, one of my favourites from her personally, but Oops imo just took it to another level. 

3 minutes ago, JackSProductions said:

My response is exactly what @igmatesaid

Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love the 99 performance, one of my favourites from her personally, but Oops imo just took it to another level. 

IDK as I'm getting older I'm realizing that VMA 2000 was more hype. That being said, 2000 VMAs used to be my favorite performance as I was growing up and it still has an immense amount of replay value but there are also a lot of moments where I'm just like wtf, especially when she was standing on that revolver device. :tina: 

The remix is EVERYYYTHING tho and that drop at the end. :crying4:

1 hour ago, DignifiedLove said:

IDK as I'm getting older I'm realizing that VMA 2000 was more hype. That being said, 2000 VMAs used to be my favorite performance as I was growing up and it still has an immense amount of replay value but there are also a lot of moments where I'm just like wtf, especially when she was standing on that revolver device. :tina: 

The remix is EVERYYYTHING tho and that drop at the end. :crying4:

I will say that some of the choreography does seem a bit random at times and doesn’t really make sense, but the ending floor choreography DEFINITELY makes up for it :OMGney:

Archived