Dumb And Questionable Career Choices That Had Long-Term Consequences

8 hours ago, Stefani said:

Gwen: Same reason sort of. I know she didn't want a solo career in the first place, but she really should've released her 3rd album after Early Winter flopped instead of working with No Doubt again and releasing Push and Shove in 2012 or whenever that was. Also she wasted Yummy as a single choice right after Sweet Escape, because no one was here for 4 In The Morning.

I was here for 4 In The Morning and Early Winter was an instant classic :drag:

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, Stefani said:

Azealia deserved better. I truly believe she's extremely creative and talented by my gosh, her mouth ruined everything for her. Also I expected Meghan to last a lot longer than just an era and a half. What happened there I don't even know.

Yeah, Meghan's case is kind of interesting. People were saying that she's a one-trick pony and that they were tired of her 50s and 60s inspired shtick, but then she switched it up, and people still weren't here for it. :martini:

Nelly Furtado - She waited 6 years to release The Spirit Indestructible after Loose and it could have been so much bigger if she would’ve released new music sooner.  I think TSI is an incredible album and doesn’t get the acclaim it deserves.

Jennifer Lopez - After Bennifer was a thing her career never seemed to reach the levels it should have.  She’s made comebacks recently but I still don’t think her music is as successful as it could have been if she hadn’t been so over publicized from 2002-2005.  Also, being pregnant during her promotion for Brave didn’t seem to help either.  Bad timing to release the album.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, iAlwaysSingLive said:

Oh, "Blank - Single" flopped. No, this is not what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about career choices that had real, genuine, noticeable consequences when it comes to a certain artist's career and success. :martini: Here are the two examples that I've come up with (they're obvious ones):

• Katy Perry - cutting her iconic locks of hair and becoming 'woke'. I can totally understand why she did what she did, but you can't deny that it hurt her career. I mean, "Chained to the Rhythm" and "Never Really Over" were decent hits, but everything else flopped like no other. It seems like there's no anticipation for her upcoming album, which is a shame. :idkney:
  • Miley Cyrus - releasing a random free independent album, which had ZERO general public appeal. Such a random move after the huge success of the "Bangerz" era. Then, dropping her whole shtick and antics in favor of her old country bumpkin image, which gave people fuel to cancel her for seemingly using black culture for clout. "Malibu" was a decent hit, but she hasn't really recovered from this. I mean, she still hasn't released the project she promised to release like a year ago. :arianabye:FB_IMG_1593258806889.jpg.b28b6ff7ad65728b8cc22f6befef5c63.jpg

Katy Perrys Hair melted off from bleaching and dying it to much.. She didnt choose to cut it but yeah 

• Haha 3
  • Like 1

People always blame the Diet Coke advert with Duffy... although I never really got the big deal with that. I think firing her manager might have had something to do with it too.

Natasha Bedingfield and Joss Stone both forgetting about the UK as soon as they started having success in the US didn't help at all. Joss' weird speech at the 2007 BRIT Awards too. Cher Lloyd kinda did the same thing, her second album was released in the US four months before the UK. 

5 hours ago, iAlwaysSingLive said:

Omg, yes, and her music is actually really good from what I've heard.

It's what she deserves, though. Freakin' ridiculous. :cackling:

Dd it's not like she had much of a career to begin with, she's never been that successful. Crazy to think her only UK 'hit' was released under a different stage name. 

• Haha 1
  • Like 1
11 minutes ago, Isla said:

People always blame the Diet Coke advert with Duffy... although I never really got the big deal with that. I think firing her manager might have had something to do with it too.

Natasha Bedingfield and Joss Stone both forgetting about the UK as soon as they started having success in the US didn't help at all. Joss' weird speech at the 2007 BRIT Awards too. Cher Lloyd kinda did the same thing, her second album was released in the US four months before the UK. 

Dd it's not like she had much of a career to begin with, she's never been that successful. Crazy to think her only UK 'hit' was released under a different stage name. 

Have you listened to Natasha's new album? I haven't, and the reviews weren't particularly great either. :idkney: It's sad that she fell off the map like that, tbh. I loved her music as a kid, and her voice is to die for. :nyschool:

12 hours ago, iAlwaysSingLive said:

Oh, "Blank - Single" flopped. No, this is not what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about career choices that had real, genuine, noticeable consequences when it comes to a certain artist's career and success. :martini: Here are the two examples that I've come up with (they're obvious ones):

• Katy Perry - cutting her iconic locks of hair and becoming 'woke'. I can totally understand why she did what she did, but you can't deny that it hurt her career. I mean, "Chained to the Rhythm" and "Never Really Over" were decent hits, but everything else flopped like no other. It seems like there's no anticipation for her upcoming album, which is a shame. :idkney:
  • Miley Cyrus - releasing a random free independent album, which had ZERO general public appeal. Such a random move after the huge success of the "Bangerz" era. Then, dropping her whole shtick and antics in favor of her old country bumpkin image, which gave people fuel to cancel her for seemingly using black culture for clout. "Malibu" was a decent hit, but she hasn't really recovered from this. I mean, she still hasn't released the project she promised to release like a year ago. :arianabye:FB_IMG_1593258806889.jpg.b28b6ff7ad65728b8cc22f6befef5c63.jpg

Britney meeting Kevin Federline. She was on top of the world, and sadly, on top of her carrer. Not saying that her carrer is over, because it is not, but can't help questioning it.

• Like 6
12 hours ago, IForgotYouExisted said:

- Lady Gaga working with R.Kelly; it was already known R.Kelly did some cruel things and yet Gags still colaborated with him anyway to only delete him after all these years. I wonder what was going in her mind to work with him in the first place.

I'm not sure where I read this but I could swear at least once she said that she wasn't in a good place when she recorded "ARTPOP", and I mean just pay attention to that line: "Do what you want with my body", and that single cover showing her a ss (very similar to the album's booklet photos). Honestly? That never was Gaga to me, it was a weird phase for her.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, iAlwaysSingLive said:

Have you listened to Natasha's new album? I haven't, and the reviews weren't particularly great either. :idkney: It's sad that she fell off the map like that, tbh. I loved her music as a kid, and her voice is to die for. :nyschool:

Lol nope. I didn’t even realise she had a new album out until I saw a review of it in a newspaper not long after its release.

Pocketful of Sunshine is her best song.

• Haha 2
14 hours ago, Ehju0901 said:

Nelly Furtado - She waited 6 years to release The Spirit Indestructible after Loose and it could have been so much bigger if she would’ve released new music sooner.  I think TSI is an incredible album and doesn’t get the acclaim it deserves.

She did release a Spanish album inbetween that time, but it was never gonna appeal to a broad audience like Loose did. She really should have followed that album up with another English language pop record sooner rather than later. 

• Like 1

I honestly think Britney should have gone in a different direction with Femme Fatale. Image and sound wise. And they should've perhaps waited a few more months until she was in a better mental place.

She started lacking credibility because her dancing was starting to fall flat and she didn't have anything else to fall back on.

Yes I know that it produced 3 top 10s in the US, but it still didn't really do anything majorly for the album. It was her lowest selling #1 since BOMT. The UK were already starting to lose interest during Circus.

To me, this is where the GP no longer took her seriously and the decline started from there.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, bitbitboi said:

I'm not sure where I read this but I could swear at least once she said that she wasn't in a good place when she recorded "ARTPOP", and I mean just pay attention to that line: "Do what you want with my body", and that single cover showing her a ss (very similar to the album's booklet photos). Honestly? That never was Gaga to me, it was a weird phase for her.

Yeah it's super clear that Gaga wasn't in a good place during this album.

I think ARTPOP in general could have very well been permanently damaging for her. She should have retired the whole weird act, it was getting old, I was done with it by Alejandro.

If it wasn't for American Horror Story and Cheek To Cheek, she could have very nearly been done for

• Like 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block