Jenna Marbles apologizes for ‘problematic’ past, takes indefinite break from YouTube channel

Jenna Marbles has addressed recent claims of her being racist and ****-shaming in her videos from 2011 and 2012. She owned up to it to her past and apologized for it in the video above.

Being ashamed about her own actions and feeling guilty for hurting/offending people, she announced that she is going to take an indefinite break from her channel.

Thoughts? Has cancel culture gone too far once again?

8F238A8F-E773-40A9-A535-76ECEA5F550C.jpeg

I genuinely just bawled my eyes out watching this. 

I have followed Jenna for years, she is one of my favourite creators, and seeing her grow into the mature, understanding, supportive, beautiful human being she is today has been absolutely wonderful. She doesn't have a perfect past, nobody does, but for years, her content has been inoffensive, wholesome, and a real safe space to so many people on the internet needing some escapism. 

Jenna is a pure and wonderful human being who has truly blossomed over the years into the ray of light she is today for so many people. I hope she realises this, whether she creates further content or not. So many people love her and what she represents. 

:tifftear:

10 minutes ago, Towelney said:

What did she say? :decisions:

She was really upset that she offended others. She kept saying she never wants to upset others, that it doesn’t interest her, that she just wants to make videos that are fun and make people smile. She said how she doesn’t sponsor things/it’s not a sponsored channel because she just does it so she and others can have fun. Since other people aren’t having fun (by being upset by the videos of her past), she isn’t having fun either, so she thinks it’s best to stop for now.

She owned up to her past fully, apologizing for it and tearing up that she offended others. One of the racist accusations wasn’t justified (people said she was doing ****** during a Nicki Minaj impression, but that’s just how tan her skin was at the time and she had the same skin tone for the rest of the video after she took the wig off and stopped impersonating Nicki). The other accusations (made a racist Asian joke in a parade rap song, **** shaming) were justified though. She owned up to and apologized for all three accusations.

We shouldn't judge other people! I just don't know how "growing up" and "maturing" means to not be racist. People need to address how they might know even know they're racist. It would make more sense to keep the video up and talk about how wrong it is so people can see it an example. At the time she was obviously meaning to offend and stir up controversy which a lot of people do. She's blaming everyone else but herself instead of just apologizing and taking full accountability.  She like "i'm so sorry...but". It seems like racists, bigots and haters are just caught up in their own game right now. What is all the nonsense with her privatizing her videos and not deleting them? 

19 minutes ago, OnlyFacts said:

Uh. Maybe I’m just old now, but who the hell is this?

The Daily Show Idk GIF by CTV Comedy Channel

4 minutes ago, xzede25 said:

Who is she and why would we care about her?:clownery:

She was one of the first big YouTubers. Originally did more weird comedy sketch type videos but has grown into a channel that does a lot of wholesome weird art/crafts/makeup experiments (like putting on 100 coats of makeup, eyelashes, nails, etc.) + dog videos/experiments (Iike making a bed out of soaps for her dog).

5 minutes ago, Urbanney said:

She was one of the first big YouTubers. Originally did more weird comedy sketch type videos but has grown into a channel that does a lot of wholesome weird art/crafts/makeup experiments (like putting on 100 coats of makeup, eyelashes, nails, etc.) + dog videos/experiments (Iike making a bed out of soaps for her dog).

Yeah...still don’t know her. But all racists are cancelled so:

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

The problem with cancel culture is that it has no end. You will litterally cancel everyone on Earth, because we all to a certain extent messed up, one way another; said something problematic, ignorant, immature, irresponsible, etc. It's just what it is. We will continue making errors as we grow and evolve.

It takes so much courage of her to address something like that. She seems like a really nice person.

Hopefully as a society, we are capable of accepting that people will mess up to various degrees. I just hope people would stop trying to take the position of the greater good.

Hopefully, we can believe in the best of people. We can move on with people taking accountability. Otherwise, we are just continuing this entire cycle of violence...

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block